2015 Monaco Grand Prix - 21-24 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FW17

Re: 2015 Monaco Grand Prix - 21-24 May

That barrier was moved many years ago, 2004 probably

PlatinumZealot

TheGkbrk wrote:I can't understand why Verstappen is seen as a driverthat could be the new Senna, even though there were several drivers in recent years who made hoping debuts to their careers. I mean none of them are given such a potential. Giving a driver that title 'new Senna' is a huge thing and his performance so far is not really capable of carrying such a title.

Anyway, Merc victory but close fight between teammates and a surprisingly close field. I am hoping for a nice weekend for Mclaren. Can't wait to enjoy this race.
He isn't. It is the people that keep repeating that he isn't the new Senna, making it seem that other people keep saying that he is.

I was a bit skeptical of the hype myself. I am sorta warming up to him now. I was very Impressed with his drive last race. Not to say that he is better than Carlos though. I think he is more talented but not anything out of this word.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

iotar__

PlatinumZealot wrote:
TheGkbrk wrote:I can't understand why Verstappen is seen as a driverthat could be the new Senna, even though there were several drivers in recent years who made hoping debuts to their careers. I mean none of them are given such a potential. Giving a driver that title 'new Senna' is a huge thing and his performance so far is not really capable of carrying such a title.
Anyway, Merc victory but close fight between teammates and a surprisingly close field. I am hoping for a nice weekend for Mclaren. Can't wait to enjoy this race.
He isn't. It is the people that keep repeating that he isn't the new Senna, making it seem that other people keep saying that he is.
Not true Red Bull people were making Senna comparisons (as they did with Vettel, a pattern), Jr compared himself to Alonso and Toro Rosso engineer that conveniently didn't work with Vettel ;-) made "best I've ever seen" very recently. So not "some people" but planned marketing by association. He's very young and has a lot of time.

Monaco - if you thought Barcelona was boring think again, don't forget it's on Thursday. Merc walk in the park, 50/50 between the two, Ferrari second pending drivers' moods, the rest the same maybe Williams slower? I don't see a driver making a difference with car gaps as they are, maybe Red Bull/Ricciardo can get it right and surprise?

zeph
zeph

TheGkbrk wrote:I can't understand why Verstappen is seen as a driver that could be the new Senna, even though there were several drivers in recent years who made hoping debuts to their careers. I mean none of them are given such a potential. Giving a driver that title 'new Senna' is a huge thing and his performance so far is not really capable of carrying such a title.
I guess the big deal is that he is 17 years old, and hanging in there pretty nicely.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

zeph wrote:
TheGkbrk wrote:I can't understand why Verstappen is seen as a driver that could be the new Senna, even though there were several drivers in recent years who made hoping debuts to their careers. I mean none of them are given such a potential. Giving a driver that title 'new Senna' is a huge thing and his performance so far is not really capable of carrying such a title.
I guess the big deal is that he is 17 years old, and hanging in there pretty nicely.
his overtakes are nothing short of stunning taking in concideration he's indeed just 17 and a rookie. He's only raced single seaters last year for crying out loud. Take his start in the spanish gp versus raikkonen. this bloke has got the craft and skill that generaly only world champions have managed to master or atleast drivers with many F1 years under their belt. The guy is confident and calm and very much in control. Too bad their setup hampered their possibilities by a lot, they were sitting ducks on the straights, and on top of that, Max had a 'minor' tech issue during the race which cost him valuable time and speed at the moments he needed it the most.

Atleast the engine in the back of his TR didn't blow up for a change. It's really sad that he has had so much bad luck because he'd have a whopping load of points more had he not had those DNF's thanks to Renault cr*p.

Imagine this guy with 3 years of F1 experience under the belt.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

At first I was very skeptical about Verstappen getting the the Toro Rosso seat instead of Vergne, but now I think it was the right decision. Verstappen has driven very well these first few races.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

SilverArrow10

Nathanael F1 wrote:At first I was very skeptical about Verstappen getting the the Toro Rosso seat instead of Vergne, but now I think it was the right decision. Verstappen has driven very well these first few races.
Vergne should be at Red Bull right now, Kyvat was not ready, he should still be at Torro Rosso with Verstappen.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

SilverArrow10 wrote:
Nathanael F1 wrote:At first I was very skeptical about Verstappen getting the the Toro Rosso seat instead of Vergne, but now I think it was the right decision. Verstappen has driven very well these first few races.
Vergne should be at Red Bull right now, Kyvat was not ready, he should still be at Torro Rosso with Verstappen.
So then where do you think Sainz should be? In one of the feeder series? Vergne already had 3 years at Toro Rosso, and he didn't really perform well enough to stay there. :)

SilverArrow10

Nathanael F1 wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote:
So then where do you think Sainz should be? In one of the feeder series? Vergne already had 3 years at Toro Rosso, and he didn't really perform well enough to stay there. :)
Yes, wherever he was going to be before Vettel jumped ship. Red bulls original plan for 2015 was Vettel/Riccardo and Kyvat/Verstappen. It was only after Vettel left they started looking at other options. Its not the rookie's who im questioning its Kyvat moving to Red bull after only one year.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

PlatinumZealot

zeph wrote:
I think F1 is very video game-like these days. Talent can be applied game to game (car to car) without much effort adaptation nor experience. For example once you can play one first person shooter you can play them all. F1 is not a large enough margin, so guys like Max, Naser and Will Stevens can jump in and be on the pace in a few laps. There is nothing out of the ordinary for them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zeph
zeph

With all due respect, I think the comparison to FPS makes no sense.

I'm not on the Verstappen-bandwagon, and frankly, Sainz has impressed me more. But ferchrissakes, the kid is not even allowed to drive yet, but here he is trading moves with the elite corps of racing drivers.
Sure, his well-connected father is a big factor in his ascendancy, and of course RedBull loves him for his marketing value as a poster child for their Junior Driver program. But he can hang, all the same, and that IS impressive.

From all accounts I have heard, F1 is really a different beast from the junior categories. You are the first person I have heard say otherwise. What are you basing your assertion on?

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote: Not to say that he is better than Carlos though. I think he is more talented but not anything out of this word.
Well, results dont say this. Verstappen is more spectacular but Sainz is very precise and fast too. I don't think that Verstappen is the new Senna, but following with this comparison I would say that Sainz drives more in the way that Prost did.
One is more aggressive and capable of everything, the other one is a precise, fast and cold driver. There was a hype around the idea that Max was going to destroy Carlos. Well, the reality is quite different. At least so far.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote: Not to say that he is better than Carlos though. I think he is more talented but not anything out of this word.
I don't think that Verstappen is the new Senna,
I seriously don't think even Senna would have been Senna in the current world of Formula one. For instance, Today, it is impossible to beat your strong team mate to pole by a second. Today, you simply can't win a race because you are Senna if you are not in a race winning car. In the past though, there was a lot a Driver could have had impact on with their talent. So, it is foolish to compare the kid of this generation to great of older generation. Who knows, the kid is even better than Senna. But as long as he doesn't fight at the front, no one ever knows whether he is lesser, equal or better than Senna. What is good to see is the kid's car control and that he is not competing with Maldonado for the "Crashator" title. :lol:

PlatinumZealot

zeph wrote:With all due respect, I think the comparison to FPS makes no sense.

I'm not on the Verstappen-bandwagon, and frankly, Sainz has impressed me more. But ferchrissakes, the kid is not even allowed to drive yet, but here he is trading moves with the elite corps of racing drivers.
Sure, his well-connected father is a big factor in his ascendancy, and of course RedBull loves him for his marketing value as a poster child for their Junior Driver program. But he can hang, all the same, and that IS impressive.

From all accounts I have heard, F1 is really a different beast from the junior categories. You are the first person I have heard say otherwise. What are you basing your assertion on?
That is the thing. I really don't think it is a different beast anymore. The kiddies just aren't shocked and awed anymore. Fairly relaxed comments on the brakes and power is all you hear these days from the rookies.

I have the same sentiments as Mark Webber. F1 is just not a big enough step. Mark you, he thinks F1 should be fifteen seconds faster than anything else! haha... but I just think the step needs be be huge enough that Rookies pee their pants after the first lap.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport ... 7326862813
When Webber had his first drive of an F1 car around the turn of the millennium, he was in awe of its power and of the performance it was capable of — if the driver was up to the job.
“F1 cars should command more respect. When you warm one of them up in the garage for the first time it should be a case of ‘f***ing hell! I’ve made it to here and now I have to crack this final mission’.

“Talk to drivers who started in Formula 1 around the same time I did: we all came away from the first F1 test thinking ‘I’m not too sure about this,’ which is completely how it should be and that resonates with the fans.”
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
zeph wrote:With all due respect, I think the comparison to FPS makes no sense.

That is the thing. I really don't think it is a different beast anymore. The kiddies just aren't shocked and awed anymore. Fairly relaxed comments on the brakes and power is all you hear these days from the rookies.

I have the same sentiments as Mark Webber. F1 is just not a big enough step. Mark you, he thinks F1 should be fifteen seconds faster than anything else! haha... but I just think the step needs be be huge enough that Rookies pee their pants after the first lap.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport ... 7326862813
When Webber had his first drive of an F1 car around the turn of the millennium, he was in awe of its power and of the performance it was capable of — if the driver was up to the job.
“F1 cars should command more respect. When you warm one of them up in the garage for the first time it should be a case of ‘f***ing hell! I’ve made it to here and now I have to crack this final mission’.

“Talk to drivers who started in Formula 1 around the same time I did: we all came away from the first F1 test thinking ‘I’m not too sure about this,’ which is completely how it should be and that resonates with the fans.”
Agreed.