2015 Brazilian Grand Prix - Sao Paulo, November 13 - 15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2015 Brazilian Grand Prix - Sao Paulo, November 13 - 15

Jonnycraig wrote: For the first time in a long time, we saw Rosberg cleverly doing what Hamilton has so often done to him - slow it down and take life out his tyres knowing that Hamilton would never get past into T3, and the infield would stretch it out enough to make him safe from Drs up the hill.
Could you name those instances? I don't recall a single one. From memory: China(?) was hypothetically for gap to Vettel = pitstop/undercut and position; Australia and Canada - not really 1 stopper/brake problems and no DRS AFAIR, what else?

What I mean is I question the idea and that it happened at all never mind often as some brilliant strategy. If it's DRS range but slower than possible for consecutive because the other one can't overtake anyway it should be easy enough to find (or rather not). Something opposite: pushing tyres for several laps without a purpose to lose them later is not the same. Is it another Brundle story?

giantfan10
giantfan10

iotar__ wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote: For the first time in a long time, we saw Rosberg cleverly doing what Hamilton has so often done to him - slow it down and take life out his tyres knowing that Hamilton would never get past into T3, and the infield would stretch it out enough to make him safe from Drs up the hill.
Could you name those instances? I don't recall a single one. From memory: China(?) was hypothetically for gap to Vettel = pitstop/undercut and position; Australia and Canada - not really 1 stopper/brake problems and no DRS AFAIR, what else?

What I mean is I question the idea and that it happened at all never mind often as some brilliant strategy. If it's DRS range but slower than possible for consecutive because the other one can't overtake anyway it should be easy enough to find (or rather not). Something opposite: pushing tyres for several laps without a purpose to lose them later is not the same. Is it another Brundle story?
in all fairness what happened is no different than what has happened in most races with Rosberg finishing second. well the slight difference is that Hamilton opted to wreck his tires following closely behind and Rosberg when in the same position chooses to lay back and try to attack with 10 laps left... neither strategy works. now everybody is up in arms about trying different strategies for Hamilton . Why would Mercedes do that? if you cant pass on track why should Mercedes favor one driver over the next just to satisfy a portion of the fanbase?

turbof1

I think it would also be highly unfair to let Hamilton decide the strategy on his own. You race under the same rules, and Rosberg neither had the chance in the past to change strategies while behind Hamilton.

Truth is, Hamilton is a bit more sluggish since he got his 3d WDC. He isn't as focussed on F1 as you'd normally expect from a F1 driver. And Rosberg also definitely upped his game.
#AeroFrodo

dans79

turbof1 wrote:I think it would also be highly unfair to let Hamilton decide the strategy on his own. You race under the same rules, and Rosberg neither had the chance in the past to change strategies while behind Hamilton.
Bahrain & Spain 2014 come to mind!
197 104 103 7

Phil

turbof1 wrote:Truth is, Hamilton is a bit more sluggish since he got his 3d WDC. He isn't as focussed on F1 as you'd normally expect from a F1 driver. And Rosberg also definitely upped his game.
Has he, really? it's certainly the most simple argument that most people could relate to. But sadly, I think it's not the case. And I'm not sure Rosberg upped his game either, or not by much if he has. I think it has been crazy close the entire year already, and last year too when Rosberg showed what amazing qualifying pace he has. Difference to last year, Hamilton this year usually stuck the pole time on his first Q3 attempt which was rarely beaten by himself or Rosberg on the 2nd attempt, when in theory the track should be quicker. I'm not sure Hamilton sticking it on pole was him being better than simply the finest margins working out for Lewis being slightly more confident vs. perhaps Rosberg who tried a little too hard. Some of these qualifying session this year have been extremely close after all.

Anyway, it's been what - 5 consecutive poles for Rosberg now? IMO he was always going to be favorite in Brazil. He was mighty last year too. I also think it's the flaw of perception to underestimate Rosberg in his ability only because he's been 2nd to Hamilton in most races. If we look at last year, it's quite evident that Rosberg is mighty (in QF) and perhaps this year has been the odd one with Hamilton acing most Q3 sessions with a pole lap. Last year too; Rosberg beat Hamilton even on tracks Hamilton seems to be amazingly quick, like CotA.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A duplicate2

This is exactly how we ended last year. Rosberg is faster, better qualifier, will come back in 2015 to win and what not. The answer to whether Rosberg has really improved or is it Hamilton who has taken it easy, will be available in next season's first few races. Until then, it's pointless to compare them.

dans79

personally, I'd say Lewis has backed off sum, as he has everything in the bag already. Nico has up'ed his game because the pressure is off. I also think the suspension changes might play a small part as well.
197 104 103 7

kooleracer
kooleracer

Max Verstappen thinks it is unfair to contrast his overtaking moves in the Brazilian Grand Prix with the struggles that Lewis Hamilton had against teammate Nico Rosberg.

While Verstappen was the star of the show – and his efforts included a breathtaking move on Sergio Perez - Hamilton complained afterwards that he got stuck behind Rosberg as it was 'impossible' to overtake.

The different experiences of the two drivers triggered some debate on social media, but Verstappen was adamant that the circumstances of his charging drive were very different to what Hamilton faced fighting an identical car.

"With a Mercedes, maybe they have problems when they are very close to each other," explained the Toro Rosso driver.

"Plus, their speed is higher, and they both had good pace, so maybe it is more difficult for them.

"I know when the Toro Rossos are behind each other it is difficult to get past, so if you have the same type of car it is very hard."

Different strengths

Verstappen believes that the key to allowing overtaking in F1 is that the two cars battling each have strengths in different areas.

"We have very good cornering speed, so if we are behind a Lotus, Sauber or Force India we catch up in the fast corners, even when we are behind," he said. "So that is different for sure.

"For them [Mercedes], it is equal everywhere – on the corners and the straights. When your car is exactly the same as your teammate and you are behind, it is very tough.

"And when you are behind, you lose a lot in the fast corners. So I can understand Lewis saying that."
Motorsport.com

I rest my case...
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

turbof1

dans79 wrote:personally, I'd say Lewis has backed off sum, as he has everything in the bag already. Nico has up'ed his game because the pressure is off. I also think the suspension changes might play a small part as well.
Exactly. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions. Hamilton will probably be right back in the groove next season.
#AeroFrodo

Godius

kooleracer wrote:
Max Verstappen thinks it is unfair to contrast his overtaking moves in the Brazilian Grand Prix with the struggles that Lewis Hamilton had against teammate Nico Rosberg.

While Verstappen was the star of the show – and his efforts included a breathtaking move on Sergio Perez - Hamilton complained afterwards that he got stuck behind Rosberg as it was 'impossible' to overtake.

The different experiences of the two drivers triggered some debate on social media, but Verstappen was adamant that the circumstances of his charging drive were very different to what Hamilton faced fighting an identical car.

"With a Mercedes, maybe they have problems when they are very close to each other," explained the Toro Rosso driver.

"Plus, their speed is higher, and they both had good pace, so maybe it is more difficult for them.

"I know when the Toro Rossos are behind each other it is difficult to get past, so if you have the same type of car it is very hard."

Different strengths

Verstappen believes that the key to allowing overtaking in F1 is that the two cars battling each have strengths in different areas.

"We have very good cornering speed, so if we are behind a Lotus, Sauber or Force India we catch up in the fast corners, even when we are behind," he said. "So that is different for sure.

"For them [Mercedes], it is equal everywhere – on the corners and the straights. When your car is exactly the same as your teammate and you are behind, it is very tough.

"And when you are behind, you lose a lot in the fast corners. So I can understand Lewis saying that."
Motorsport.com

I rest my case...
Wow, Verstappen at age 18 is already consoling Hamilton fans. Imagine what kind of superstar this kid could be in the future, sheer class.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Godius wrote:
kooleracer wrote:

Different strengths

Motorsport.com

I rest my case...
Wow, Verstappen at age 18 is already consoling Hamilton fans. Imagine what kind of superstar this kid could be in the future, sheer class.
So you didn't read it then? The bits where he says it's hard when the cars are the same? Haters gonna hate. Must really hurt to see the " rubbish Hamilton" winning three titles... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

djos wrote:
zeph wrote:That's a cute cartoon, but reality -of course- is a little more complicated than that.

I don't think Verstappen would have been able to pass Rosberg either, had he been in Hamilton's situation.
True, however that "NewSenna" was able to overtake cars with vastly superior PU's was extremely impressive. 8)
It kind of reminded me of a certain Lewis Hamilton in his rookie year putting the manners on "better" drivers...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

Godius wrote:
kooleracer wrote:

Different strengths

Motorsport.com

I rest my case...
Max definitely raises some great points, seriously impressive weekend from him. Plus the way he handled the media in the post race interviews, after giving the Renault PU a real kicking over the radio during the race, was really impressive!
"In downforce we trust"

djos

2015 Brazilian Grand Prix - Sao Paulo, November 13 - 15

Just_a_fan wrote:
Godius wrote: Wow, Verstappen at age 18 is already consoling Hamilton fans. Imagine what kind of superstar this kid could be in the future, sheer class.
So you didn't read it then? The bits where he says it's hard when the cars are the same? Haters gonna hate. Must really hurt to see the " rubbish Hamilton" winning three titles... :lol:
I don't think that's what Godius was saying at all, I took it to mean that he was backing up Hamilton's comments and effectively saying Hamilton was correct for his particular circumstances.
"In downforce we trust"

ringo

Nothing has changed with the drivers really. Rosberg hasn't upped his game at all.
This is the same man we usually see on hard to pass circuits. Which happen to be the only circuits he has won at:

Barcelona
Monaco
Austria
Brasil
Mexico

All went down to a qualifying gap of maybe less than a tenth. All this is saying is that Rosberg was pretty much equally setup as Lewis and or was performing at a similar level in terms of speed and rhythm, nothing more nothing less.
It's not Rosrberg Renaissance happen. It's just a off the boil Hamilton losing out on Qualifying on tracks he hasn't gone so well at, and Rosberg doing a good job. Lewis had is ticket for 3 years and will continue the status quo come next season. 8)
For Sure!!