2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
F1NAC

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

gargour87 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 15:19
Will teams start introducing updates this week?
yes. Apparently Ferrari should introduce new floor which could possibly solve their rear end problem. According to motorsport.it

Brenton
Brenton

I agree it will be exciting to see who is on top, because Ferrari seems to have what was Mercedes strength last year at high speed. Maybe the longer wheelbase has something to do with less drag? I too am super excited for this race.
Vettel165 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 10:59
For this GP you still need a very good engine, otherwise you will get destroyed on the two main straights. I am guessing RBR with Renault engine will lose at least 0,3-0,4s per lap on this two straights comparing to Mercedes, Ferrari cars. Its gonna be interesting to watch if Ferrari will be still the fastest at the end of that (1200 m) straight in China.
I agree that the long straights are important. Though Any acceleration zone matters too, as drag has much less of an effect at lower speed. Hp difference shows up most while accelerating at medium speed, while top speed is more about aero. That's why hp matters even at Monaco. Will be exciting to see where Red Bull is at. Bahrain was awesome but would have been even better if not for Red Bull dnfs

langedweil

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 14:23
santos wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 13:13
Could Ferrari being pushing the engine more then Mercedes, and trying to build a gap to start managing it when another engine is introduced?
Seems reasonable. I think more teams than we realise will end up using 4 engines. However, it could also just be a great engine... time will tell
Just thinking .. if turning your engine up that much it only survives 4 rounds (instead of 7), couldn’t that give you the extra power to have a greater chance to win a race?
For instance, if RB with their topspeed deficit opted for let’s say 5 PU’s, they’d screw up 2 races (while possibly still be able to score points) but have a way better chance of winning a race.
Or is that just utter bull ?
(I know one pu should last 5 rnds)
HuggaWugga !

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

langedweil wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 01:10
JPBD1990 wrote:
santos wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 13:13
Could Ferrari being pushing the engine more then Mercedes, and trying to build a gap to start managing it when another engine is introduced?
Seems reasonable. I think more teams than we realise will end up using 4 engines. However, it could also just be a great engine... time will tell
Just thinking .. if turning your engine up that much it only survives 4 rounds (instead of 7), couldn’t that give you the extra power to have a greater chance to win a race?
For instance, if RB with their topspeed deficit opted for let’s say 5 PU’s, they’d screw up 2 races (while possibly still be able to score points) but have a way better chance of winning a race.
I actually was thinking of the same. IMo, Mercedes is adamant to do the whole season on 3 engines, while Ferrari may have already accepted that they will get a penalty somewhere down the line. This would explain why Merc turned the engines way down in free practice last weekend, and why Ferrari seemed much faster as well. But If Ferrari is already conceding one race they will start from the back, and Merc never has to take a penalty, I wonder who will benefit more? And Redbull may plan for 5 engines and be compromised in 2 races but they will be able to run fresher engines, take in upgrades and run higher engine modes more frequently. We shall see.

langedweil

Must have been modelled out by every team. If I were Honda in a development-alike year, I’d use 10 PU’s voluntarily or so and just pick my moments.
More potential power, lots more reallife (instead of dyno’s) engine-development throughout the year without the tokens. And on top of that: they still have a possible chance to end up ahead of the midfield pack with a little luck (and not killing too many PU’s)
HuggaWugga !

giantfan10
giantfan10

Hammerfist wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 04:54
langedweil wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 01:10
JPBD1990 wrote:

I actually was thinking of the same. IMo, Mercedes is adamant to do the whole season on 3 engines, while Ferrari may have already accepted that they will get a penalty somewhere down the line. This would explain why Merc turned the engines way down in free practice last weekend, and why Ferrari seemed much faster as well. But If Ferrari is already conceding one race they will start from the back, and Merc never has to take a penalty, I wonder who will benefit more? And Redbull may plan for 5 engines and be compromised in 2 races but they will be able to run fresher engines, take in upgrades and run higher engine modes more frequently. We shall see.
I mean really?? This my friends is how misinformation and rumors begin on the internet. Lol
So any of this based on fact or just a Mercedes fan trying to create scenarios where Mercedes look like geniuses and Ferrari not?
Can somebody buying into this point me in the direction of the article quoting Ferrari as being interested in deliberately taking engine penalties?
You think the more likely scenario is that Ferrari just built a good engine ?
This reeks of fanboyism.

FrukostScones

I see no indication that speaks against a Ferrari double victory this week-end.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Vasconia

FrukostScones wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 08:26
I see no indication that speaks against a Ferrari double victory this week-end.
This track has tradionally suited Mercedes and I see now reason why they shouldn´t be very strong here. I have some doubts about how strong Ferrari can be here. The longer wheelbase and the new floor could be a boost but its difficult to measure it.

Vettel165

Which factor should play into Ferraris hands and which to Mercedes this weekend.
Cool weather: Mercedes
Q3 tyres (US): Ferrari
Tyre pressures: dont know them
High tyre wear: Ferrari
Front-limited circuit: Mercedes
Power of the engine (main straight): both are likely equal

A new weather forecast from yr.no (usually a very reliable website) which gets its data from ECMWF weather (used by european meteorologist) model is showing now no rain for FP1, and maybe just a shower for FP2, but nothing big. Hope it stay like this.

Last edited by Vettel165 on 12 Apr 2018, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

johnny vee

Thank you Vettel165, nice post!
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

George-Jung
George-Jung

Vettel165 wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 09:13
Which factor should play into Ferraris hands and which to Mercedes this weekend.

A new weather forecast from yr.no (usually a very reliable website) which gets its data from ECMWF weather (used by european meteorologist) model is showing now no rain for FP1, and maybe just a shower for FP2, but nothing big. Hope it stay like this.

https://postimages.org/
Did’t I read somewhere that Toto says it is rear limited nowadays?

ian_s

start placing your bets now for which session Verstappen is going to crash in first.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

George-Jung wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 09:43
Vettel165 wrote:

https://postimages.org/
Did’t I read somewhere that Toto says it is rear limited nowadays?
I thought that too! He said it in a Sky interview at Bahrain, but I can’t remember if he was referring to China or Bahrain... but I don’t think Bahrain has ever been front limited, so most likely China.

sosic2121
sosic2121

ian_s wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 10:16
start placing your bets now for which session Verstappen is going to crash in first.
what in the gods name made you say such a thing!?
:lol: :lol:
maybe it's time for gasly to take that seat

Vanja #66

Vettel165 wrote:
I think we should put it equal there as well. It's close enough that it doesn't make enough of a difference, like PUs last year already (this year seems even more).
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie