2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PinkFloydPulse

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Phil wrote:
15 May 2018, 10:51
Lets see, Barcelona 2018 pit stop summary:

Mercedes: 1 stop
RedBull: 1 stop
McLaren: 1 stop
Haas: 1 stop
Sauber: 1 stop
Renault: 1 stop
Force India: 1 stop

Ferrari ............ 2 stops

And yes, Williams and TR also 2 stopped. Doesn't look like many teams struggled to get a 1 stop to work on these unique 'Mercedes tires'.
Really?

What about pace on those tires when looking per team? It's not all that black&white...
Team Fernando!

Phil

Didnt you learn the most valuable lesson from Barcelona yet? Ferrari certainly did. I’ll give you a hint: track position is key. Just ask Bottas, ask Vettel, ask Ferrari, ask Alonso, ask the Redbull drivers.

Anyway, you guys can keep whinging about the tires that will only see daylight on another 2 races, but Ferrari have a lot bigger problems coming their way it seems (hint: it’s on AMuS). I can imagine you’ll find more in the Ferrari topic soon.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

LM10
LM10

Phil wrote:
15 May 2018, 12:39
Didnt you learn the most valuable lesson from Barcelona yet? Ferrari certainly did. I’ll give you a hint: track position is key. Just ask Bottas, ask Vettel, ask Ferrari, ask Alonso, ask the Redbull drivers.

Anyway, you guys can keep whinging about the tires that will only see daylight on another 2 races, but Ferrari have a lot bigger problems coming their way it seems (hint: it’s on AMuS). I can imagine you’ll find more in the Ferrari topic soon.
What you are referring to is just a suspicion yet. Like every other thing which was suspected, but nothing was found.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I guess the only thing that can categorically be stated about the different tyres is the impact they would have had on overall ride height, cars being 0.4mm lower than before.

I'm sure they could engineer around that, but would this have favoured anybody in particular? My low-level assumption is more severely raked cars would be effected more.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Fulcrum wrote:
15 May 2018, 13:00
I guess the only thing that can categorically be stated about the different tyres is the impact they would have had on overall ride height, cars being 0.4mm lower than before.

I'm sure they could engineer around that, but would this have favoured anybody in particular? My low-level assumption is more severely raked cars would be effected more.
The ride hide would be as low as they could get whatever the tyres. I doubt it would be any different. Remember we’re talking about less than half a millimetre here, it’s such an insignificant amount. But ten pages and counting...

TAG

It was the mirrors that gave Ferrari such a hard time Sunday. You'll see, in Monaco, the mirrors will be gone and Ferrari will not struggle for pace as they did in Barcelona. Occam's razor.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

F1Krof

TAG wrote:
15 May 2018, 14:23
It was the mirrors that gave Ferrari such a hard time Sunday. You'll see, in Monaco, the mirrors will be gone and Ferrari will not struggle for pace as they did in Barcelona. Occam's razor.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/b06111c ... /tenor.gif
OMG!!! You're right! :o =D> =D>

Wroom wroom

Vettel165

F1Krof wrote:
15 May 2018, 14:55
TAG wrote:

OMG!!! You're right! :o =D> =D>

https://media.giphy.com/media/Um3ljJl8jrnHy/giphy.gif
Bring on Monaco then. :lol:

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

ferkan wrote:
15 May 2018, 09:17
So 0.4mm can't change car performance, but according to Isola, that thread shaving off resulted in us going from "tire lottery" and probably few pitstops, to safe 1 stop with 0 graining?
Starting from cold with the extra 0.4mm of rubber was a safety issue, because there was excess rubber that could move around much more during the heating phases (e.g. race start and qualifying), therefore heating the surface too quickly with the result of dangerous levels of blistering.

Using the new tyre would have been the rough equivalent of mounting a used tyre - same for everyone and of no general consequence (less the blistering). As Pirelli has argued and as evidenced by no one else, but Ferrari having problems, the 0.4 mm removed did not change the fundamental characteristics of the tyre.

The link from Catalunya below clearly shows a tyre that, in the worst scenario, had potential to maim or kill. Do you really believe that such a tyre could have been presented for a race?
In truth, this tyre argument is little more than bad politics and should be laid to rest.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/13/tyr ... spain-283/

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

f1316 wrote:
15 May 2018, 10:26
Yeah , I don’t think there’s a conspiracy here - Pirelli weren’t trying to help Mercedes, they were simply bringing the tyres they felt best suited the circuit in question.

Nevertheless I think it’s only logical that the sudden total reversal of which team was best managing the tyres is due to this change - as Seb said, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that removing tread will make the tyres harder and that’s always been better for Mercedes than Ferrari. Both have it in their ‘DNA’ on opposite ends of the spectrum.

We’ll certainly see in Monaco but I think Toto’s comments are telling - they’re not looking forward to hypersofts.
Really? :)

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
15 May 2018, 11:57
It seems that Max was more consistent on this tyres than Ricciardo. As Hamilton he may like the harder tyres because of this agressive driving style.

As it has been mentioned also before, Monaco will be interesting. Last year Ferrari was clearly better during the race but this year it won´t be so clear, though Ultrasofts should benefit the Ferrrari. I expect a RB to be on the pole.
You know that is a myth right? Because it was often Rosberg whose tyres used be gone while Lewis was still going around comfortably. He was also more economical with fuel usage, whereas Rosberg used to suffer with fuel consumption in 2014/15. If Lewis was aggressive in tyre usage like people believe, he wouldn't have achieved those poles and wins with different compounds that Pirelli has brought since 2011 with different construction types.

GPR-A duplicate2

TAG wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh my god.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
This as intelligent and as rationale as Pirelli favoring Mercedes.

MtthsMlw

Vettel just said that he understands Pirelli's decision to change the tires and he thinks it was the right thing to do. He also stated that the normal tires were blistering even more than the thinner ones.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
15 May 2018, 17:46
Vasconia wrote:
15 May 2018, 11:57
It seems that Max was more consistent on this tyres than Ricciardo. As Hamilton he may like the harder tyres because of this agressive driving style.

As it has been mentioned also before, Monaco will be interesting. Last year Ferrari was clearly better during the race but this year it won´t be so clear, though Ultrasofts should benefit the Ferrrari. I expect a RB to be on the pole.
You know that is a myth right? Because it was often Rosberg whose tyres used be gone while Lewis was still going around comfortably. He was also more economical with fuel usage, whereas Rosberg used to suffer with fuel consumption in 2014/15. If Lewis was aggressive in tyre usage like people believe, he wouldn't have achieved those poles and wins with different compounds that Pirelli has brought since 2011 with different construction types.
It is not a myth that Hamilton feels very comfortable with medium tyres. This does not mean that he is bad with the softest ones but I think he has shown many teams that with harder tyres he has no rivals.

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
15 May 2018, 18:36
Vettel just said that he understands Pirelli's decision to change the tires and he thinks it was the right thing to do. He also stated that the normal tires were blistering even more than the thinner ones.
Yep.

Vettel:

"I think the result is that if we had the normal tyres on Sunday, we would have probably been even worse off."

"I think it was the correct call, and it was our fault not to have the same tyre wear or life as other people."

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/896086/1/ ... rmal-tyres