2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw
606
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm
Location: Germany

2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by MtthsMlw » Sun May 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Image

Tire Choices
Image

2017 Results
Qualifying
Image

Race
Image

Image

2017 Pole Lap


2017 Race Highlights

Vasconia
39
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by Vasconia » Mon May 07, 2018 9:19 am

I am not a great fan of this track but last year´s race was a good one. We must obviously wait to see if the updates can make a great change between teams, if not, I think Ferrari could achieve the pole this time but Mercedes will have a clear advantage with the hardest tyre during race´s second stint.

Phil
392
User avatar
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by Phil » Mon May 07, 2018 9:23 am

Wow, last year was really close. I somehow think Mercedes will ace QF this year. Ferrari no doubt will be close.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Chuckjr
40
User avatar
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 am

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by Chuckjr » Mon May 07, 2018 9:33 am

Ferrari 1-2 this one this year, then a Merc, then a Bull.

falonso81
2
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by falonso81 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:34 am

If the Race does not feature any SC, I believe Vettel has this in the bag.

johnny vee
3
User avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 am

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by johnny vee » Mon May 07, 2018 9:56 am

falonso81 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:34 am
If the Race does not feature any SC, I believe Vettel has this in the bag.
This might be the 1st non safety car race of 2018. But i do hope it will be an exciting race.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

falonso81
2
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by falonso81 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 am

Well, with the increased safety measures, if a car stops on track, there ya go.

Cannonballer
8
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:12 am

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by Cannonballer » Mon May 07, 2018 11:06 am

Is 25:1 for Alonso to be on the podium a +EV wager?
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

outsid3r
5
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by outsid3r » Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am

Any predictions on times guys? Last year's pole was 1.19s but this year's best test time (obviously with softer compounds) was 1.17s. It will be much warmer now so i think mid 1.17s are still doable

gargour87
0
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 am

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by gargour87 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:19 pm

outsid3r wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am
Any predictions on times guys? Last year's pole was 1.19s but this year's best test time (obviously with softer compounds) was 1.17s. It will be much warmer now so i think mid 1.17s are still doable
Softer Compound is only worth 1 second. 1.18s would be logical. cars now are heavier and have more drag (Halo) so I don't expect much

santos
37
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by santos » Mon May 07, 2018 12:28 pm

gargour87 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:19 pm
outsid3r wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am
Any predictions on times guys? Last year's pole was 1.19s but this year's best test time (obviously with softer compounds) was 1.17s. It will be much warmer now so i think mid 1.17s are still doable
Softer Compound is only worth 1 second. 1.18s would be logical. cars now are heavier and have more drag (Halo) so I don't expect much
On the fourth day of test two, this year, Ricciardo did 1.18 on super soft an Bottas did that on Medium... it will be warmer then it was 2 month ago. I belive that they can go with a low 1.16

ripper
42
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by ripper » Mon May 07, 2018 12:45 pm

New asphalt might have a big impact.

I'm a bit curious about FER's tyre choice. As far as I remember race sims during tests were done with SS-M-M by Ferrari and M-M-M by Mercedes (and perhaps also RB? Can't remember). FER brought only 2 M for each driver, but I don't think they will do 2 stints with M without even trying them in FP. So everyone was running extremely conservative on tests?

gargour87
0
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 am

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by gargour87 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:48 pm

ripper wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:45 pm
New asphalt might have a big impact.

I'm a bit curious about FER's tyre choice. As far as I remember race sims during tests were done with SS-M-M by Ferrari and M-M-M by Mercedes (and perhaps also RB? Can't remember). FER brought only 2 M for each driver, but I don't think they will do 2 stints with M without even trying them in FP. So everyone was running extremely conservative on tests?
race simulations during winter tests are not representative. Air and track temp and different programs teams usually run. race sims on Friday are not also teams usually try to hide their true pace as much as they can

SamH123
0
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 11:18 am

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by SamH123 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:58 pm

falonso81 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:34 am
If the Race does not feature any SC, I believe Vettel has this in the bag.
In testing Ferrari had to save a lot of fuel round here and Mercedes didn't but maybe that's in the past now

djones
9
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:01 pm

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Post by djones » Mon May 07, 2018 1:38 pm

I saw talk of different design tyres from this race onward, ones which theoretically help Mercedes.

Is this true? I can find nothing about it anywhere.