2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

f1316 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:56
Zynerji wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:48
I thought Mercedes might have with their tyre wear issues in the last race. M-S-S would probably made them impossible to beat.

Now, it's a pure crap shoot.
Right, but then they’d have to guard against Ferrari using the better grip of the softs of the line - and sooner or later they’d have to make those good launches count - plus it’s quite possible that the mediums wouldn’t prevent blisters, if their wear is lower/they retain more heat.

We shall see - mightn’t be bad for Ferrari to have that extra set of new softs up their sleeve though.
The soft isn't 1-2 seconds faster than the mediums, so not a guaranteed overtake. Then the longer run, while Ferrari pit and have traffic.

I will say tho, with the amount of accidents this weekend, an early safety car is almost assured.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

f1316 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:53
Zynerji wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:20
simieski wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:08

Please elaborate on how #8 was by far a better car than #7.
So, he only had to beat ONE car, after his team mate put him on pole, to reach the level of Hulkenberg and Hartley?

That's what we call a softball.

And let's not forget how he belittled Ham and Vet on winning championships in the best cars on the grid...
It’s all quite off topic...

... but he also said his Le Mans win was the greatest of all time:

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/23861 ... eatest-all

I guess he was just trying to defend against the criticism he knew he’d get from those saying it was an all Toyota show. In F1 terms, he’s probably quite annoyed with himself for twice alienating himself from teams that would go on to have subsequently competitive cars (McLaren and Ferrari) hence the lashing out at everyone and everything.

I agree it comes a little petulant but, on the flip side, I do think: I. his mega night stint at Le Mans was super impressive II. He probably would have won last year’s WDC and/or have a greater lead in this year’s if he was driving that Ferrari; but I also don’t believe they would have that car if he was still there.

Apologies for the off topic.
Why do you think that? Genuine question.

Was it Alonso who suggested that Ferrari should make a smaller PU to have a better aero? In an ENGINE formula? Was it Alonso's fault that Ferrari decided to do a massive restructuring only after the departure of Alonso? Was Alonso stopping that restructuring from happening? Was Alonso in position to keep Luca from being fired? and Stefano? and everyone else that was fired at that point?

EDIT: Just realised race thread is not the place to talk about this. Apologies.

fabian77
fabian77

GPR-A wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:08
dans79 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 06:21
fabian77 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 04:57
True but in France Vettel got a much better start than the 2 Mercs on the same tyre but got boxed in, so we shall see, hopefully it is a clean start, no carnage I want to clean fight between the 2.
This is incorrect! In France, Ferrari started on the ultra softs, Mercedes started on the super softs.
Did i not mention that in my post already. :)
No that was referring to Austria, Ferrari's starts are much better especially the 2nd phase of the start, we shall see !!!

Dr.mclaren
Dr.mclaren

4 years and 10 seconds faster cars at Silverstone!
2014 pole: 1:35s
2018 pole: 1:25s

This is just unbelievable!
Last edited by Dr.mclaren on 08 Jul 2018, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

F1NAC

THat will be easy HAM lead after the first corner. Vettel if goes on the inside will be vulnerable comming to T3-

@2014 Q3 was on drying track

Jolle
Jolle

I would be quite pleased with this starting grid if I was Mercedes. VET on the dirty side, BOT right behind them and VER is just close enough to make VET jumpy.

I would instruct BOT to annoy VET and don’t block VER or RAI, let them do the damage ;-)

GPR-A duplicate2

giantfan10 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 07:00
dans79 wrote:
fabian77 wrote:
True but in France Vettel got a much better start than the 2 Mercs on the same tyre but got boxed in, so we shall see, hopefully it is a clean start, no carnage I want to clean fight between the 2.
This is incorrect! In France, Ferrari started on the ultra softs, Mercedes started on the super softs.
We’ve looked at the starts,” Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff told media including RaceFans after qualifying today. “This is an area where we haven’t performed so well.
Our starts were OK but Ferrari’s starts were exceptional. There is always… we are under risk at the starts at the moment so we’ll see what it gives tomorrow.”
Thats from Wolff.
You obviously know more than the team principal.
Huh... on some days you people come to question Toto when he says the truth and on other days, you take his statements to prove your theory. Stick to one thing man. (I am sure you always believed Toto for all the past years when he kept telling, Ferrari is on par OR Ferrari is ahead :D )

Your Maurizio was actually lying when he told prior to the weekend that, they will struggle here. Catch him and beat him. :)

Being on a faster compound (by virtue of getting the tyres to perform faster) is an advantage compared to being on another compound that takes a tad little longer to perform at the start. Is that such a big deal for you to understand?
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 08 Jul 2018, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

f1316
f1316

GrayGreat wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 09:02
f1316 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:53
Zynerji wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 08:20

So, he only had to beat ONE car, after his team mate put him on pole, to reach the level of Hulkenberg and Hartley?

That's what we call a softball.

And let's not forget how he belittled Ham and Vet on winning championships in the best cars on the grid...
It’s all quite off topic...

... but he also said his Le Mans win was the greatest of all time:

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/23861 ... eatest-all

I guess he was just trying to defend against the criticism he knew he’d get from those saying it was an all Toyota show. In F1 terms, he’s probably quite annoyed with himself for twice alienating himself from teams that would go on to have subsequently competitive cars (McLaren and Ferrari) hence the lashing out at everyone and everything.

I agree it comes a little petulant but, on the flip side, I do think: I. his mega night stint at Le Mans was super impressive II. He probably would have won last year’s WDC and/or have a greater lead in this year’s if he was driving that Ferrari; but I also don’t believe they would have that car if he was still there.

Apologies for the off topic.
Why do you think that? Genuine question.

Was it Alonso who suggested that Ferrari should make a smaller PU to have a better aero? In an ENGINE formula? Was it Alonso's fault that Ferrari decided to do a massive restructuring only after the departure of Alonso? Was Alonso stopping that restructuring from happening? Was Alonso in position to keep Luca from being fired? and Stefano? and everyone else that was fired at that point?

EDIT: Just realised race thread is not the place to talk about this. Apologies.
I think it gets to the point where, if a driver with such a long career is never in the top car despite driving for most of the top teams, it’s no longer a coincidence.

No specific evidence to back it up, but whether it’s driver input for development (probably the best cars he drove - 2007 McLaren and 2010 Ferrari- were largely not developed by him; albeit the Renaults of 05/06 were) or just having too much of a divisive personality that it doesn’t galvanise the team around you, I feel it can’t all be bad luck.

You’re right though, we can move to another thread if you want discuss further.

komninosm
komninosm

So what are the "experts" saying this weekend? Which is the faster car?
They've been wrong 3 races in a row that I'm counting...

Phil

The track temperatures swayed the advantage in Ferrari's favour. I'm quite sure the Mercedes would have been more comfortably ahead during cooler conditions. As it is, I am quite surprised they managed to get pole. Not sure about the race, I think, again, the hot temperatures will sway the race into Ferrari's favour.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

adrianjordan

Can anyone recommend somewhere that is showing the race live in the Kings Cross area of London...??

Plan was to listen on 5Live, but would be far better if I can watch the race on a big screen.....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Current forecast is for about 27-28deg C with a light wind of around 9-10mph (82deg F, 16kmh for those that prefer). Expect track temps to be as high as yesterday. The wind is from a little west of north so will be a tail wind through the exit of Copse and down through the Becketts complex and in to Stowe.

We're not too far from Silverstone and it already feels very warm - took the dogs for a cooling swim in the local stream this morning which they loved!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

fabian77
fabian77

GPR-A wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 11:23
giantfan10 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

We’ve looked at the starts,” Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff told media including RaceFans after qualifying today. “This is an area where we haven’t performed so well.
Our starts were OK but Ferrari’s starts were exceptional. There is always… we are under risk at the starts at the moment so we’ll see what it gives tomorrow.”
Thats from Wolff.
Huh... on some days you people come to question Toto when he says the truth and on other days, you take his statements to prove your theory. Stick to one thing man. (I am sure you always believed Toto for all the past years when he kept telling, Ferrari is on par OR Ferrari is ahead :D )

Your Maurizio was actually lying when he told prior to the weekend that, they will struggle here. Catch him and beat him. :)

Being on a faster compound (by virtue of getting the tyres to perform faster) is an advantage compared to being on another compound that takes a tad little longer to perform at the start. Is that such a big deal for you to understand?
How was Maurizio lying ? In Austria Ferrari struggled in the fast speed corners compared to the Mercs and SIlverstone is full of fast corners, it is lucky the floor and engine cover update has worked a treat, he was merely being cautious unlike Renault's claim that they had a party mode for qualifying lol.

ripper
ripper

Toto Wolff said that hot temperature is better foe Ferrari, but he added that Fer had blistering in fp2 while they hadn't. I don't know what to expect

dans79

giantfan10 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
fabian77 wrote:
Thats from Wolff.
You completly missed the fact that I was correcting a factually incorect statement. This is a pretty sad baiting post, even for you!
197 104 103 7