2019 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 29 - 31

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Re: 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 29 - 31

I don't think Ferrari's performance at Melbourne park was an indication something is wrong with their car. I think it was setup more than anything. I think it will be much closer and more action packed this Bahrain race. That said am I the only one who feels that the Albert Park race of this year was more entertaining than the usual season opener borefests of yesteryears?

Zynerji

I believe that this circuit will be far more representative of the pecking order than Albert Park.

Proper race track, tons of historical data, hot dry conditions, no first- race nerves upsetting the teams.

Im greatly looking forward to qualifying, as Q1,2,3 should all be high strung. The race, and overtaking, will be our first real measure of the new regulations.

Lots of answers to a lot of questions will be found during this race's weekend.

Jambier

Questions is: Will Ferrari have already sort out their setup and engine issues ?
I agree this track will be much more representative.

And I'd like to know what is the real pace of Ferrari. But maybe we will have to wait a couple of race to understand what their pace is, can they challenge Mercedes or not.

And the drama can be that they will be able to challenge Mercedes, but will have already lose to much points

SiLo

GrandAxe wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 16:47
Pole shoot out:

1. Lewis
2. Bottas
3. Max
4. Gasly/Vettel
5. Vettel/Gasly
6. Leclerc
7. Kimi
8. Grosjean
9. Hulkenberg
10. Lando

Ferrari's position is based on two weeks being too short to fix aero and tyre problems. There is no evidence that they have fundamental engine problems.
I've read the engine issues were cooling related and they got their calcs wrong for Melbourne. I assume this will be fixed for Bahrain by opening up some vents.
Felipe Baby!

Mandrake
Mandrake

Last year this was the turning point for Ferrari. Melbourne was luck, Bahrain still, but less. Afterwards it materialised it was the quicker car beginning of the season.

If Ferrari can be close or match Mercedes we might be in for a great season. If the gaps remain I will be concerned.

etusch

GPR -A wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 04:04
Tyres this year are harder than last year! Last year it was, Medium-Soft-SupserSoft and this is year it is, C1(Hard)-C2(Medium)-C3(Soft). This is the most abrasive circuit on the calendar and may be Pirelli is too worried to have brought C2-C3-C4. It's a shame.

Expect the lap times to increase due to this and not to mention the super draggy rear wing, due to which cars lost around 12-13 kph on straights in qualifying in Melbourne. Sakhir has more straights and that means, draggy car all around. Cars might have recovered downforce and might corner around the same speeds as last year, but on straights it's another matter.

Expect the Ferrari to bounce back due to more aero friendly nature of the circuit.

Pole prediction. Pole time would be slower by a few tenths around low 1m29.xxx.
1. Mercedes/Ferrari
2. Red Bull + 0.5
I think they do 1.27...s again and Redbull might be 0.2-03 slower then Ferrari if they were slower than Ferrari and probably front of mercedes. This is my expection not based on an analyse.

etusch

GrandAxe wrote:
Pole shoot out:

1. Lewis
2. Bottas
3. Max
4. Gasly/Vettel
5. Vettel/Gasly
6. Leclerc
7. Kimi
8. Grosjean
9. Hulkenberg
10. Lando

Ferrari's position is based on two weeks being too short to fix aero and tyre problems. There is no evidence that they have fundamental engine problems.
I think Ferrari and Redbull will fight for pole with both drivers of both team and maybe Hamilton will participate the party. I say this because of testing order.
And I want to say that because of last years performance Toro Rosso could be 4th fastest here and maybe one Toro Rosso driver front of Bottas. ( Waaaw :) )

GPR-A

etusch wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 18:47
GrandAxe wrote:
Pole shoot out:

1. Lewis
2. Bottas
3. Max
4. Gasly/Vettel
5. Vettel/Gasly
6. Leclerc
7. Kimi
8. Grosjean
9. Hulkenberg
10. Lando

I think Ferrari and Redbull will fight for pole with both drivers of both team and maybe Hamilton will participate the party. I say this because of testing order.
And I want to say that because of last years performance Toro Rosso could be 4th fastest here and maybe one Toro Rosso driver front of Bottas. ( Waaaw :) )
Posts like this remind me of 2015, when some of the over enthusiastic Ferrari fans, got so much pumped up after the revival of Ferrari that year, they started undermining the strength of Mercedes. We know how that went.

erudite450
erudite450

Guys, where's the 3rd DRS zone?

Sieper

Undermining? Underestimating i think?

Phil

I agree with it too. I’m not a Ferrari fan, but i think Ferrari will be close/closer. Not gonna use Melbourne as any kind of benchmark yet.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sieper

Last year it was just the same. I too expect both RBR as well as Ferrari to be in the mix. If not, congratulations Lewi, Bottas?!! :-D

Mansell89
Mansell89

I’m almost prepared to overlook Melbourne as a bit of an anomaly.

It’s such a different track to what teams test on at Barcelona and it’s pretty unique. Fast teams tend to be fast everywhere and whilst Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari will fight for podium places, I suspect it to be way closer out front, and even perhaps see Merc hauled in as happened last year.

Quite excited to see how the midfield teams shake out in Bahrain too.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

SiLo wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 18:23
GrandAxe wrote:
Pole shoot out:

1. Lewis
2. Bottas
3. Max
4. Gasly/Vettel
5. Vettel/Gasly
6. Leclerc
7. Kimi
8. Grosjean
9. Hulkenberg
10. Lando

I've read the engine issues were cooling related and they got their calcs wrong for Melbourne. I assume this will be fixed for Bahrain by opening up some vents.
They were burning up their tyres which can account for their lack of speed. The car has a solid engine.
Bahrain will give a hint of the depth of their problem. If its front wing, it could be a couple of months before there's a fix. So, fingers crossed its just suspension or setup and we can extra spice for 2019.

etusch wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 18:47
Testing was just testing. Melbourne is a better reference point.

willmesquita

I am more eager to see how midfield teams will perform: Haas, Renault, Alfa, McLaren and Force India are the main reason I will follow Bahrein GP.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br