2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nimoraca
nimoraca

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

Where is this obsession about the apex coming from. I guess its from the explanation the stewards gave for the penalty. There is no mention in the rules of a driver on the inside being obligated to "hit" the apex (even though the stewards do not seem to understand where the apex is).
According to the rules, Hamilton was clearly alongside Max on the inside. The rules, I believe, say that the driver on the inside has the right to choose the line but needs to leave space for the driver on the outside, which Lewis clearly did (there was 5 car widths of space on the left). Just look at all the previous battles between the two where Max was on the inside (Imola, Barcelona, Portugal and Silverstone in Brooklands), Max leaves absolutely no space on the outside and serious collisions are avoided only because Hamilton understands that he has more to lose on the outside, something Max might learn from this incident.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Lewis is far enough ahead of Lando in points, that he can risk another one of these coming togethers when Max goes “full Max Verstappen” as Horner likes to call it.

Big Tea

yener wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 21:29
Im still realky frustrated. I read somewhere that Lewis was going to give Max a call to make sure he is oke, but he also told he is not going to make any apoligizes. This makes it even worse!

This forum is also read by a lot of f1 staff and sometimes i hope that the drivers also visit just to read some opinions.
I would like to say to Max and the RBR team, dont pick up the phone and ignore Lewis. Even if you are 100+ ahead in the WC standing, dont accept them celebrating you, dont shake hands, dont spray champain and let them not spray on you.
Even if you win the WC dont let LH come to celebrate you. Please Max, show some dignity and character!
Bad plan. Max is young enough to want to change teams at some time, and if Merc is up as an option, having burned bridges with Toto could mean a move is not on or if on, uncomfortable.
Besides, its sport not war, and I always find myself talking sensibly to my wife even if neither of us has apologised, and I have been married a long time now
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle

Hoffman900 wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 22:06
dans79 wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 21:46
Palmer says it's a racing incident.

If Max can’t hit the apex because Lewis is there, then he’s as wrong as Lewis who is slightly wide off the apex.

This should have been the simple calculation in Max’s head to mitigate risk. The fact that he turned in knowing this, was a high risk decision, and it blew up in his face. What did Horner call this gamble at Barcelona? “Full Max Verstappen”.

Well, Max Verstappen just got “fulled Max Verstappened”.

In our racing, we got crashed out of the lead in a similar scenario, with us being in Lewis’s spot. Stewards threw the book at the driver who turned in on us. This isn’t an example of a video game or whatever else you guys imagine, but real life racing

Furthermore, if Max ended up wide at Copse, and got to keep the position, then that would have been a total farce.

As F1 has allowed time and time again, on the first lap especially, you can just rail around the outside, blow outside the track limits, and be fine. At any point in racing past, Max would have had to back out. As he would have earlier in the lap as well as Saturday.

This is partly why Indy Car is refreshing. The tracks actually have limits.
Indycar and track limits? Ovals yes… COTA, no 😂

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

COTA is the only one really with that problem. Go watch Mid Ohio.

Tizz

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 21:38
Tizz wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 20:12
. If you mean that is was a small contact, I beg to differ as Max' suspension was ripped apart on impact.
No it wasn't. The wheel rim appears to have been machined in the contact and the tyre deflated. All of the rest of the damage happened as the car headed towards and in to the barrier.
You are correct. I thought I saw the complete wheel flying but it was indeed just the tyre.
But if the edge of the rim was machined, it still was a pretty hefty contact.

Tizz

kenshi_blind wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 21:21
Tizz wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 21:08
maxxer wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 20:27

Both wouldnt have reached the apex as i saw it over and over by now maybe if that would put their cars in reverse they could touch it why is it important to reach the apex when you are side by side ?
That means Max left Hamilton space but he choose not to use it.
How can you say he chose not to use it ? he had to open up the angle a little bit to take the corner because few seconds before that Max almost pinned him to the wall , besides Max had way more space on the outside to comfortably take the corner , he decided not to do so and expected Hamilton to yield unfortunately for him the Hamilton didn't ... in short it was a race incident Max could have easily avoided
As a side note there's not rule that stipulate that a driver must hit the apex , we often see the driver on the inside close the space to a point where the driver on the outside has to back out of it .. this is why it is often said that the one attempting to pass while being on the inside put himself at risk...
again Hamilton had earned the corner
I did not say that, it is the reason Hammi got the 10 seconds.

Jolle
Jolle

Tizz wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 22:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 21:38
Tizz wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 20:12
. If you mean that is was a small contact, I beg to differ as Max' suspension was ripped apart on impact.
No it wasn't. The wheel rim appears to have been machined in the contact and the tyre deflated. All of the rest of the damage happened as the car headed towards and in to the barrier.
You are correct. I thought I saw the complete wheel flying but it was indeed just the tyre.
But if the edge of the rim was machined, it still was a pretty hefty contact.
It was a small touch, but due to the speed the wheel was rotating and the point they touched, the rim got machined off. It actually was such a small "nudge"that it went all around instead of a bump, resulting in dent. a few cm more to the front of rear and it would have been just a bit of tire on tire smoke and an unstable wobble.

RZS10

Also: opposite rotation.

kenshi_blind

yener wrote:
Im still realky frustrated. I read somewhere that Lewis was going to give Max a call to make sure he is oke, but he also told he is not going to make any apoligizes. This makes it even worse!

This forum is also read by a lot of f1 staff and sometimes i hope that the drivers also visit just to read some opinions.
I would like to say to Max and the RBR team, dont pick up the phone and ignore Lewis. Even if you are 100+ ahead in the WC standing, dont accept them celebrating you, dont shake hands, dont spray champain and let them not spray on you.
Even if you win the WC dont let LH come to celebrate you. Please Max, show some dignity and character!
:lol: :lol: :lol: ... i fail to understand the logic here , Should Hamilton bow down in front of Max ? why should he apologize for a racing incident when Max did worse ( not talking about the outcome of the contact here)

PlatinumZealot

Polarit wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 21:37
Alonso's comments perfectly illustrate the rationale that an experienced driver has and one that I often think is lost with the obsession with racing lines and calculation's on who specifically had the corner.

Hamilton did well and got his car alongside Verstappen going into a turn. Regardless of lines, hitting the apex and corner angle the car was is there. It's a problem and being the car on the outside once it's there you have to adjust what you do.

Verstappen see's him when he goes to turn in, then adjusts, then turns fully into the corner with full knowledge Lewis is there. He might've hoped Lewis would brake harder but he took the risk knowing he was there. Hamilton at this point is pulling out of the move knowing they're going to collide but it's too late and because he pulls out it's why it's front left to rear right.

It's a racing incident and a poor judgement on Max's part to defend like that given the championship situation.

Much like for years Hamilton has treated Verstappen with a wide berth because he wasn't fighting that fight, Verstappen should've been wise enough to not fight a driver who has to win so strongly when he had such a lead.

Great race though....
“It is difficult from the outside,” said Alonso. “It looked quite close, Lewis had more than half a car alongside Max.

“So, in a way, Lewis could not disappear from the inside line, it’s not that you can vanish.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/alonso-h ... pen-clash/
Edited... Deleted.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 20 Jul 2021, 23:27, edited 2 times in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

yener wrote:

Trust me, F1 team personal do not read the race threads, and very few frequent the forum these days.

Jolle
Jolle

kenshi_blind wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 22:59
yener wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... i fail to understand the logic here , Should Hamilton bow down in front of Max ? why should he apologize for a racing incident when Max did worse ( not talking about the outcome of the contact here)
Verstappen and apologies, a short history:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/248 ... naco-crash
https://deepersport.com/max-verstappen- ... ntroversy/
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... 3/3068902/

It would be sweet if Hamilton just said to RedBull: not my problem.

Whats the word? Crocodile tears?

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

I like this one: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... y9ijd.html
“Turn 1 was mega. I mean Max, that was full Max Verstappen – he was just going for it – and he positioned the car fantastically well,” said Horner after the Spanish GP. “He tucked in, he got a little bit of a tow and a bit of momentum. And yeah he just braked later and ran the car wide. Thankfully Lewis had got out of it because otherwise he would have ended up in the fence,” he added.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Hoffman900 wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 23:22
I like this one: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... y9ijd.html
“Turn 1 was mega. I mean Max, that was full Max Verstappen – he was just going for it – and he positioned the car fantastically well,” said Horner after the Spanish GP. “He tucked in, he got a little bit of a tow and a bit of momentum. And yeah he just braked later and ran the car wide. Thankfully Lewis had got out of it because otherwise he would have ended up in the fence,” he added.
Look, listen, that turn, you don't stick a wheel up the inside there...