how to design an engine

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
echedey
echedey

how to design an engine

Good everyone, I would like to know how to design and start designing an engine as I am starting to take my first steps, for now I am doing equations of kinematics and thermodynamics and I would like to know first where to start designing by thermodynamics or by kinematics and within the concepts of kinematics and thermodynamics what aspects I have to study, then leaving aside these two aspects that I have to study and of what I have to study, what aspects I have to look at.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: how to design an engine

You probably want to use the product development V https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Model
You then need to buy JB Heywood " Internal combustion engine fundamentals" and work through that, filling in any details you don't know with other textbooks.

AngusF1
AngusF1

Re: how to design an engine

Design and Simulation of Four Stroke Engines by Gordon Blair is another good one. He also wrote a two stroke equivalent.

I looked into doing something similar a few years ago but never got around to it. From my reading at the time it seemed like a small capacity single cylinder two stroke would be the easiest and cheapest place to start.