how to design an engine

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
echedey
echedey

how to design an engine

Good everyone, I would like to know how to design and start designing an engine as I am starting to take my first steps, for now I am doing equations of kinematics and thermodynamics and I would like to know first where to start designing by thermodynamics or by kinematics and within the concepts of kinematics and thermodynamics what aspects I have to study, then leaving aside these two aspects that I have to study and of what I have to study, what aspects I have to look at.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: how to design an engine

You probably want to use the product development V https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Model
You then need to buy JB Heywood " Internal combustion engine fundamentals" and work through that, filling in any details you don't know with other textbooks.

AngusF1
AngusF1

Design and Simulation of Four Stroke Engines by Gordon Blair is another good one. He also wrote a two stroke equivalent.

I looked into doing something similar a few years ago but never got around to it. From my reading at the time it seemed like a small capacity single cylinder two stroke would be the easiest and cheapest place to start.

coaster

Allen Millyard refers often to Phil Irvings book 'Tuning for speed'.
He presses up his own roller cranks and balances also, great to watch on youtube.