[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

The problem is that (lRef corrected) I obtain cop 1.95 and cop 0.600 from the same geometry, with very small differences (cooling inlets surface increased of 5% and different rear wing endplates).

My geometry is clean, I am sure STL quality is much more than good.

Tonight I will try to run a simulation with slightly intersecting parts, to be sure that the gaps are not between the parts.
I am not an expert of OF, but in the KVRC era, I remeber a similar situation and a "merge" parameter to be set.

CAEdevice

Is it correct that the planck end is on the rear wheels axle? Isn't it a bit too long?

jjn9128

LVDH wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 18:38
And yes, the coarse meshes do not help to keep vortex structures alive. With turbulence models, I can only do so much. I have at least added more refined mesh in the MFlow version used for this race, esp. behind the front wing.
Not a criticism just an observation. It's not F1 running 250million cell meshes with LES and bespoke turb models. Means you can't be too reliant on the flow field in the way proper teams are though.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 19:20
Is it correct that the planck end is on the rear wheels axle? Isn't it a bit too long?
Proper plank for F1 is 430mm behind front axle to rear axle. Think this is the same.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 20:06
CAEdevice wrote:
Proper plank for F1 is 430mm behind front axle to rear axle. Think this is the same.
...but vertically chamfered and not with a step 500mm wide ;)

Anyway: I think this is related to LDVH thoughs about balance, but not the principal problem.

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
Is it correct that....
If you don’t win this first round Matteo there will be only one reason; you spent too long pointlessly comparing FIA F1 cars with MVRC Grand Prix cars.... 😉
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 20:55
CAEdevice wrote:
Is it correct that....
If you don’t win this first round Matteo there will be only one reason; you spent too long pointlessly comparing FIA F1 cars with MVRC Grand Prix cars.... 😉
On the contrary! I would eliminate the planck (maybe the step too): no matter if F1 have it, we don't need to keep the car far from the ground: suspensions are a template. The same for the nose section (btw: s-ducts are not allowed by the inner safety volume... or cell?). I did not have F1 as a unique reference: my sidepods outlets are copied from the Dallara GP2 (I think F1 cars use special hxs with high performances: our cars hxs work in a more ordinary way).

... but you are right, I lost a couple of weeks thinking too much about rules and templates.

I was considering the wrong approach, but I was used to work on the refined LMPx cars: this year the development starts from an earlier stage. Anyway, a small updated to the step shape would help with balance, but let's wait and see all the cars and the numbers (I can't wait!).

Thomas2019
Thomas2019

Work in progress.

Currently trying to figure out barge boards. :D

machin

Thomas2019 wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 23:43
I ran machin's car from a few days back and get 2,71m³/s cooling flow. So not quite there yet.

Thomas
Ah! Interesting! So my car will be down on power for the first race then... since I sent it to Andre yesterday...

...unless the changes on the “works” car make a difference... 😉

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 10:28
This is more or less the car for the first race: it is the first time I submit a car that has not been tested with the official template.
I am not happy about that, it is a kind of bet.

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... 07_002.jpg
Looks nice; I like your take on the nose cone; stylish.

What do you mean by “not tested with the official template”?

machin

Thomas2019 wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 22:58
Work in progress.
https://abload.de/img/car3bukpf.png

Currently trying to figure out barge boards. :D
Looks like you maximised use of the front wing volumes! 👍👍👍

variante

There we go:

(not necessarily the version that i'm going to race)

rjsa
rjsa

Got a small sidepod too, but cooling not there yet.

Thomas2019
Thomas2019

So what happens if a team cannot get sufficient rear downforce and the balance is all over the place? Is there a penalty applied?

machin

Thomas2019 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 02:08
So what happens if a team cannot get sufficient rear downforce and the balance is all over the place? Is there a penalty applied?
There’s no “penalty”, but your car will be slow if you have little rear downforce, as it won’t be able to corner as fast, plus you’ll be generating unnecessary drag at the front, which will slow you on the straights... if you can’t get enough rear downforce, you should decrease front downforce to compensate...

Here’s a link to Virtual Stopwatch which we use for determining the laptimes...

http://www.competition-car-engineering. ... Timing.htm