[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

machin wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 18:51
CAEdevice wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 17:30
I decided to play my trump card.
I officially ask to use additional 48h.
Ooo, intriguing!
I am simply desperate :) ... to get closer to Koldskaal I lost balance and worsened the cooling ... and I'm not sure of the legality of some details ... tomorrow I will be busy, but on Tuesday I am going to double check everything.

wb92

No risk, no fun - late call for additional 48h.

Tried a lot so far, but my car doesn't want to find the balance at all. It's a bit tough being at least 1 step behind...
MVRC - WBRacing

Alonso Fan

I'll be using the same car from the last race
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

variante

This is my car for COTA.
It's been a bittersweet development. This time i tried quite hard to create a car capable of reaching the 1st place, and i think i achieved some gains at last, but i'm probably still falling short. It ultimately doesn't matter because i lost the championship at the very first round...but a victory would still be pleasant to achieve.

On a more technical note, i've been playing with a new kind of sidepod concept. It reminds of a low bypass turbofan engine, mixing radiator exhaust with enclosed freestream. That allows me to achieve very good cooling performance without using apertures on top of the sidepods, which improves airflow to the rear wing. Still, it must be said that i pushed the concept a bit far and, hopefully, my cooling performance is ok.

machin

Alonso Fan wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 22:40
I'll be using the same car from the last race
Noted, thanks.
variante wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 01:52
This is my car for COTA..... i've been playing with a new kind of sidepod concept.
...Interesting... The fact that you have done this suggests that myabe the louvres on the top of the sidepod is not going to work as well as I had hoped..... :?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

machin wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 13:52
...Interesting... The fact that you have done this suggests that myabe the louvres on the top of the sidepod is not going to work as well as I had hoped..... :?
Yeah, i don't understand why you did that, since you already had more than enough cooling in Suzuka.
Well, to be clear, the louvres are surely going to be better than an uncontrolled opening on top of the sidepods, as they can control flow direction and energy.

machin

Yes, I had more than enough flow, it’s not clear in the one image I posted, but from the shape of the Louvres I added I’m expecting they will reduce the flow slightly, and hopefully direct it down... hint; what you can see in that one image is not all there is inside the sidepod... 😉

(I still expect it won’t work as I hope 😂)

wb92

machin wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 20:32

(I still expect it won’t work as I hope 😂)

This should be the sub-title of this year competition, but seems like I'm not alone.
MVRC - WBRacing

machin

Haha! Yes, I guess the change of car type means everyone is starting pretty much from scratch!

etsmc
etsmc

Nothing too major in the changes of my car that's been submitted, taken a bit of the angle out of the HX to try and improve the cooling but still not 100%.
Changed the rear wing profiles (actually gone back to the profiles I was using from last year) I did this to try and bring the balance back but still too far forward.

Don't think I will be climbing the field at all if anything I may drop a place or two with others improving.

Would be interesting to see the rate of improvement over this year compared to the first year of the LMP style cars, I don't think it has been as quick this year.

wb92

machin wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 22:44
Haha! Yes, I guess the change of car type means everyone is starting pretty much from scratch!
starting from the scratch is nothing bad, but problem is when you stuck and you don't understand the car anymore.
In my case I stuck with balance, therefore I cannot really push it forward. Most of the biggest changes require complete redesign not only parts, but the whole concept - that takes time to get to know and optimize new flow features.
etsmc wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 06:27
Would be interesting to see the rate of improvement over this year compared to the first year of the LMP style cars, I don't think it has been as quick this year.
Team Koldskaal and Variante noted the biggest rate of improvements and that's really impressive. Fur sure they haven't say the last word yet.
MVRC - WBRacing

Koldskaal

Only smaller changes to my car this time around. I think i've only found a few tenths sadly. I have played around with some pretty extreme concepts that I couldnt get to work.

Variantes car looks interesting, it seems he has made rather large changes.
variante wrote:
i've been playing with a new kind of sidepod concept. It reminds of a low bypass turbofan engine
Do you use accelerate the internal flow to generate suction behind the radiator? Or do you mix the internal and the radiator exhaust to get cleaner exhaust? Both? Seems interesting nonetheless. Also great strategy to draw attention away from what seems to be a completly new diffuser 😉
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

LVDH

variante wrote:
This is my car for COTA.
It's been a bittersweet development. This time i tried quite hard to create a car capable of reaching the 1st place, and i think i achieved some gains at last, but i'm probably still falling short. It ultimately doesn't matter because i lost the championship at the very first round...but a victory would still be pleasant to achieve.

On a more technical note, i've been playing with a new kind of sidepod concept. It reminds of a low bypass turbofan engine, mixing radiator exhaust with enclosed freestream. That allows me to achieve very good cooling performance without using apertures on top of the sidepods, which improves airflow to the rear wing. Still, it must be said that i pushed the concept a bit far and, hopefully, my cooling performance is ok.
This car sure looks super cool. I like the design much more than the previous versions. But in the end only performance talks.

etsmc wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 06:27
Nothing too major in the changes of my car that's been submitted, taken a bit of the angle out of the HX to try and improve the cooling but still not 100%.
Changed the rear wing profiles (actually gone back to the profiles I was using from last year) I did this to try and bring the balance back but still too far forward.

Don't think I will be climbing the field at all if anything I may drop a place or two with others improving.

:-s Ah, too bad. Usually I like opening your car very much, because you somehow always go for a complete redesign and it is always very creative.

A few teams have pulled the extension card, so you will have to wait a bit to see all the cars.

I have published a small update of the rules which will apply for race 5: https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-rules-2019-2/

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Cool looking car Variante :)

Really if we have to vote, I would put mine to "keep the rules stable" for next year, just to continue this development improvement.

I am still struggling to set up my model. Still my cooling flow is negative value, which means that my body is open. Could it be because it is а surface model, not solid?

Regards,
Krasen
Last edited by k.ko100v on 22 Oct 2019, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

LVDH

k.ko100v wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 10:09
I am still struggling to set up my model. Still my cooling flow is negative value, which means that my body is open. Could it be because it is surface model, not solid?
According to MFlow or OF? What OF measures depends on the orientation of the triangles in your measuring surface. When you design the surface, the orientation should be consistent. MFlow just takes the absolute value of what OF measures.