[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jjn9128

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Damn :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

machin

rjsa wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 13:22
There was another rule after that specifying minimum hx dimensions that was deleted.

(If memory serves me right)
Yeah, that's right, I'm inclined to remove the [deleted] in this instance as it's clearly a bit confusing... Also the words I am thinking about adding regarding floating parts will be along the lines of:-

"All body parts, including the supplied parts, must be capable of forming a single body, connected by parts meeting rule 8.3. I.e. there should be no 'floating' parts".

(8.3 is the rule about minimum thickness)
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

I thought we fixed this "[deleted}" issue. But yes, it means some wording has been deleted, the part before it is still valid.

rjsa

Which version of OF should be used in Linux?

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 16:06
OpenFOAM 5.0

rjsa

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 17:24
rjsa wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 16:06
OpenFOAM 5.0
Thank you Matteo!

What would be the command line to generate the case in linux offscreen?

CAEdevice

Maybe something like "MFlow folder_path_with_input_files_inside -MVRC -offscreen" but I am relying on my memory and I am not sure...

LVDH

That looks good. I am not in front of my computer right now, but it should go like this:

Code: Select all

./MFlow <path to case folder> MVRC -offscreen
-offscreen is optional, it is more useful for post-processing. You could use

-pp -offscreen
You could change the template from MVRC to MVRC_Fast or MVRC_Long.
I am not sure if in 09c you already, could just go for -run_case. That would then also start the simulation. Maybe it is only available in the next release though, which you will get next week.

rjsa

LVDH wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 09:11
That looks good. I am not in front of my computer right now, but it should go like this:

./MFlow <path to case folder> MVRC -offscreen
-offscreen is optional, it is more useful for post-processing. You could use

-pp -offscreen
You could change the template from MVRC to MVRC_Fast or MVRC_Long.
I am not sure if in 09c you already, could just go for -run_case. That would then also start the simulation. Maybe it is only available in the next release though, which you will get next week.
Tks Matteo, Andre.

@Andre, I'm trying to pre-process on windows and send to linux for processing and getting all kinds of errors (I had trouble doing that in 2017, can't remember what was the fix). I'm still on the might be my fault phase, I'll let you know if I actually have to resort to pre-processing it on the AWS host too.

One thing for sure needs fixing: runCase.sh with hard coded full paths and DOS style back slashes '\' in the pich commands.

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 16:51
@Andre, I'm trying to pre-process on windows and send to linux for processing and getting all kinds of errors (I had trouble doing that in 2017, can't remember what was the fix). I'm still on the might be my fault phase, I'll let you know if I actually have to resort to pre-processing it on the AWS host too.
To pre-process on one machine and run on another, you need the HPC tab. The buttons there are custom developments though. As adding the functionality for AWS could benefit many people though, in 2007 I offered you to integrate it, if you would help with testing and you never came back to me. So right now, there is no functionality to run on AWS, there are probably workarounds though.

rjsa wrote:
One thing for sure needs fixing: runCase.sh with hard coded full paths and DOS style back slashes '\' in the pich commands.
That has been fixed. I can send out the new version beginning of next week.

rjsa

LVDH wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 09:44
rjsa wrote:
To pre-process on one machine and run on another, you need the HPC tab. The buttons there are custom developments though. As adding the functionality for AWS could benefit many people though, in 2007 I offered you to integrate it, if you would help with testing and you never came back to me. So right now, there is no functionality to run on AWS, there are probably workarounds though.

rjsa wrote:
That has been fixed. I can send out the new version beginning of next week.
Yeah, you’re right, we had that chat. It was manegeable then, lets see with this week’s version.

We can try that, just let me know what kind of setup I should have there since all I have is ubuntu, OF and rar.

machin

How's everyone's cars coming along.... Here's mine, again, only subtle changes, which I'll detail a bit more on my personal thread:-

rjsa

I've been chasing my tail a lot, shaved a few tenths but nothing substantial - despite big design changes. I can just shuffle the DF around, not really make it improve, it seems I'm looking at the wrong places.

CAEdevice

I decided to play my trump card.

I officially ask to use additional 48h.

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 17:30
I decided to play my trump card.

I officially ask to use additional 48h.
Ooo, intriguing!
rjsa wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 16:10
I've been chasing my tail a lot....
I’m just hoping the louvres on my sidepods work; still hitting 3.0m^3/sec... whilst directing the air away from the rear wing.. otherwise it’ll be another race with all the downforce on the front....