2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:49
Congrats to McLaren, big fight today and well deserved podium and P4. Clear step above RB here, it's a huge thing for the rest of the season

Personally so happy for Stella, 4 podiums in a row between 6 (ok, 5) very competitive cars is no joke
It’s probably overlooked, but the string of podiums by the team is pretty impressive

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:46
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:38
With best sector times, Piastri would be P1 and Norris P3. Those are facts from the qualy.
That still leaves a scenario were Piastri pushed tyres just a bit too hard in final S2 and lost some grip in S3 as a result. Achieving best theoretical lap and actually stringing 3 personal best sectors in one lap are two different things, these Pirellis are sadly so freaking sensitive and borderline unraceable...
He lost more time in S1 and S2 than S3. Compared to his previous fast lap he braked to late in turn 10, had to brake longer and scrub more speed before proceeding and lost 2 tenths to his own previous time hence he was yellow in sector 2. After that point, including the poor exit at the last turn, there was an overall gain on time to Charles.

There were also points at which the Mclaren lost more than .15 to the Ferrari in the other sectors. It's just that we gained them back at another part of the track. The final corner was a headline because after losing time at the exit of the last corner we couldn't regain time, but actually it wasn't in the top 3 of points at which we lost time on the lap, and had Piastri not misjudged turn 10, he would have been on pole.

But it is what it is, no ifs and buts, we were second best here.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:51
LionsHeart wrote:
Emag wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:15

I think its fair to say Ferrari had a margin here. Car is good, but Ferrari is better on those sections. Doesnt mean McLaren can't beat them on more normal tracks. And RedBull doesn't stop being the benchmark just because they had a bad one here.

I expect to see them very competitive in Canada again.
To be honest, I didn’t see the advantage of Ferrari here. The teams were comparable. The racers themselves decided in qualifying. By sector, I didn’t see where McLaren lost to Ferrari. This is why I told you that Australia may not be indicative. But I have nothing against your cautious opinion. That was common sense on your part.

The density in the top3 has increased. This is very good. Now the driver's role has increased. This is the best season so far with the new regulations.
Sainz had more left in his tyres by the end, he was pushing Piastri and had much more time in him than the Mclarens. Norris had no answer either and was largely unable to pressure or even catch Sainz at this point, despite having been able to manage his tyres more than Sainz or Piastri. That doesn't mean it would be the same if there had been a pit. But in the circumstances the Ferrari had more pace.
I was actually talking about qualifying, not about the race. I never found where we were slower. Comparably fast? Yes. Knownly slower? No. Leclerc rode very confidently from the very beginning of the first practice. But I haven’t heard McLaren drivers complain about the car, settings, etc. This means they were confident in their speed.

Not sure about this. Lando had enough speed reserves. At first Leclerc held back, then Sainz. Lando had tire reserves, but was not physically able to overtake on the track. What else remains to be done? But Piastri fails. And again he failed to save the life of the tires. This is his weakest point in racing so far.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 20:10
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

To be honest, I didn’t see the advantage of Ferrari here. The teams were comparable. The racers themselves decided in qualifying. By sector, I didn’t see where McLaren lost to Ferrari. This is why I told you that Australia may not be indicative. But I have nothing against your cautious opinion. That was common sense on your part.

The density in the top3 has increased. This is very good. Now the driver's role has increased. This is the best season so far with the new regulations.
Sainz had more left in his tyres by the end, he was pushing Piastri and had much more time in him than the Mclarens. Norris had no answer either and was largely unable to pressure or even catch Sainz at this point, despite having been able to manage his tyres more than Sainz or Piastri. That doesn't mean it would be the same if there had been a pit. But in the circumstances the Ferrari had more pace.
I was actually talking about qualifying, not about the race. I never found where we were slower. Comparably fast? Yes. Knownly slower? No. Leclerc rode very confidently from the very beginning of the first practice. But I haven’t heard McLaren drivers complain about the car, settings, etc. This means they were confident in their speed.

Not sure about this. Lando had enough speed reserves. At first Leclerc held back, then Sainz. Lando had tire reserves, but was not physically able to overtake on the track. What else remains to be done? But Piastri fails. And again he failed to save the life of the tires. This is his weakest point in racing so far.
In qualifying it was between Oscar and Leclerc I think, and not the cars. I don't see an advantage in Qualification, but in the race they were the faster car.

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

Excellent weekend from McLaren and a great points haul. How beautiful to see two historic racing teams in P1-4 and an old school McLaren - Ferrari battle at Monaco!

Very interesting that McLaren have been showing race winning pace across these last 3 track types- Miami, Imola, Monaco.

Optimistic for Canada but just great to be in the mix.

Well done to the team!

Emag
Emag

Honestly, glad McLaren is getting back up there. It was supposed to be the norm to have McLaren at least fighting for wins on a season, but ever since after 2012 that expectation obviously changed.

Finally Zak brought this team back where it belongs. Hopefully there will be a re-ignition of Ferrari-McLaren rivalry for the title soon.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 May 2024, 20:18
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

In qualifying it was between Oscar and Leclerc I think, and not the cars. I don't see an advantage in Qualification, but in the race they were the faster car.
Well, that’s what I wrote. Everything was decided by the drivers themselves. Be more careful, please.

And Ferrari had no advantage at all in the race. Leclerc controlled the pace to prevent Lando from making a free pit. That's all. Everyone saved tires. Sainz was either 3 seconds behind Oscar, or within one lap he was 0.5 seconds behind. I already realized then that Leclerc was driving very slowly. Then the pit at the end of the peloton, where the driver compensates for the 17 seconds gap from his teammate in 5 laps, it became clear that Leclerc was not attacking. How do you think we can affirmatively say that Ferraris were faster?

Lando, having better tires, tried to reduce the distance to a minimum a couple of times, but in order to attack, you need to have an advantage not of 2 seconds, which he did not have over Sainz, but of all 5-6 seconds. All I saw was that Oscar fell apart at the end. But Lando once again showed how to take care of your tires until the finish of the race.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:55
Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:49
Congrats to McLaren, big fight today and well deserved podium and P4. Clear step above RB here, it's a huge thing for the rest of the season

Personally so happy for Stella, 4 podiums in a row between 6 (ok, 5) very competitive cars is no joke
It’s probably overlooked, but the string of podiums by the team is pretty impressive
Last 4 races.
China - NOR P2 (VER P1)
Miami - NOR P1 (VER P2)
Imola - NOR P2 (VER P1)
Monaco - PIA P2 (LEC P1)

Last two races were both P2 and P4.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 20:31
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

Well, that’s what I wrote. Everything was decided by the drivers themselves. Be more careful, please.

And Ferrari had no advantage at all in the race. Leclerc controlled the pace to prevent Lando from making a free pit. That's all. Everyone saved tires. Sainz was either 3 seconds behind Oscar, or within one lap he was 0.5 seconds behind. I already realized then that Leclerc was driving very slowly. Then the pit at the end of the peloton, where the driver compensates for the 17 seconds gap from his teammate in 5 laps, it became clear that Leclerc was not attacking. How do you think we can affirmatively say that Ferraris were faster?

Lando, having better tires, tried to reduce the distance to a minimum a couple of times, but in order to attack, you need to have an advantage not of 2 seconds, which he did not have over Sainz, but of all 5-6 seconds. All I saw was that Oscar fell apart at the end. But Lando once again showed how to take care of your tires until the finish of the race.
Be more careful please? What do you mean? Be more clear about what you mean, please, Qualifying or Saturday wasn't mentioned once.

I think you're looking through Papaya coloured glasses to think we were as fast as Ferrari in the race, it was very clear in the end the Sainz and Leclerc had more left and we did not. Looking beyond that is hopeless optimism I think.

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

So happy for the smile coming back. They fully deserve this. WE fully DESERVE this.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Andrea said Oscar could've been on pole if he put all his sectors together, but Oscar said he couldn't replicate it, if he had a good s1, he had to trade s2, and vice-versa. I think we were behind Ferrari by a small margin, but that will be more noticeable in Canada. That one I'm expecting as to be 2nd or 3rd best again.

CjC
CjC

Dafnalina wrote:
26 May 2024, 21:55
Andrea said Oscar could've been on pole if he put all his sectors together, but Oscar said he couldn't replicate it, if he had a good s1, he had to trade s2, and vice-versa. I think we were behind Ferrari by a small margin, but that will be more noticeable in Canada. That one I'm expecting as to be 2nd or 3rd best again.
Lando reckons Ferrari have better kerb riding which is key in Canada, however it’s kind of like Imola is Montreal, Mclaren did alright there didn’t they?
Should be a cracking season now on in
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 May 2024, 20:49
LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 20:31
mwillems wrote:

Be more careful please? What do you mean? Be more clear about what you mean, please, Qualifying or Saturday wasn't mentioned once.

I think you're looking through Papaya coloured glasses to think we were as fast as Ferrari in the race, it was very clear in the end the Sainz and Leclerc had more left and we did not. Looking beyond that is hopeless optimism I think.
Wow. I wrote in the proposal that I don’t see a difference in speed in qualifying and that the drivers made the whole difference, not the cars. And in the race I didn’t see where and in what way the Ferraris were faster. You are either stupid or blind. I look at the situation realistically. You are talking nonsense without giving any reasons or arguments. However, it is impossible to talk to you. The team scored 30 points. Before the race in Imola it was 124. Exactly 7 days after the Monaco race the team has 184 points. The team has been consistently at the top of the standings for the last three race weekends. If the team is even the second best, so be it. I accept it. Before the start of the season, I said that during the season McLaren would be the second fastest.

I have nothing against Emag or you personally. I just expressed my point of view. At what part of the race did you see Ferrari being faster in the race? When did Oscar run out of tires in the last 10 laps? I didn't look at the telemetry, although I had full access to it. I don't understand how you can isolate Ferrari's pace when they save tires so much and don't strive to show their pure racing pace.

The race was boring and strange. For the first time in Formula 1, all top 10 drivers finished where they started. There was no fight between the team mechanics at the pit stops, since everyone had a free pit stop under red flags.

Leclerc wanted to go faster, but the team forcibly asked him to restrain his pace. From a tactical point of view, this is a very correct move on the part of the Ferrari command bridge. They executed the situation perfectly. It's true that this is not a race anymore. I doubt that Leclerc himself enjoyed the ride. This is not an attack in a race, this is just walking in the park on a nice warm evening.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:18

Wow. I wrote in the proposal that I don’t see a difference in speed in qualifying and that the drivers made the whole difference, not the cars. And in the race I didn’t see where and in what way the Ferraris were faster. You are either stupid or blind. I look at the situation realistically. You are talking nonsense without giving any reasons or arguments. However, it is impossible to talk to you. The team scored 30 points. Before the race in Imola it was 124. Exactly 7 days after the Monaco race the team has 184 points. The team has been consistently at the top of the standings for the last three race weekends. If the team is even the second best, so be it. I accept it. Before the start of the season, I said that during the season McLaren would be the second fastest.

I have nothing against Emag or you personally. I just expressed my point of view. At what part of the race did you see Ferrari being faster in the race? When did Oscar run out of tires in the last 10 laps? I didn't look at the telemetry, although I had full access to it. I don't understand how you can isolate Ferrari's pace when they save tires so much and don't strive to show their pure racing pace.

The race was boring and strange. For the first time in Formula 1, all top 10 drivers finished where they started. There was no fight between the team mechanics at the pit stops, since everyone had a free pit stop under red flags.

Leclerc wanted to go faster, but the team forcibly asked him to restrain his pace. From a tactical point of view, this is a very correct move on the part of the Ferrari command bridge. They executed the situation perfectly. It's true that this is not a race anymore. I doubt that Leclerc himself enjoyed the ride. This is not an attack in a race, this is just walking in the park on a nice warm evening.
"Be more clear, please", is not more or less rude than "be more careful, please" :D Things get lost in translation and sometimes it not the other person, in this case it did not look to be discussing qualifying but the weekend, including the race.

In terms of the race, it was clear at the end that the Ferrari had more pace. Leclerc ran away, but that could be put down to tires. Sainz clearly had more pace than us. More so than Lando, who wasn't challenged and had the power to manage his tires, whereas as Sainz and Piastri were attacking and defending. Lando had no answer to Sainz challenging Piastri and couldn't make the distance that they both opened up.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:23
LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:18

"Be more clear, please", is not more or less rude than "be more careful, please" :D Things get lost in translation and sometimes it not the other person, in this case it did not look to be discussing qualifying but the weekend, including the race.

In terms of the race, it was clear at the end that the Ferrari had more pace. Leclerc ran away, but that could be put down to tires. Sainz clearly had more pace than us. More so than Lando, who wasn't challenged and had the power to manage his tires, whereas as Sainz and Piastri were attacking and defending. Lando had no answer to Sainz challenging Piastri and couldn't make the distance that they both opened up.
Only after reading your message twice did I realize that this was a translator problem. Thanks for pointing this out. And yeah, sorry, mate!

Well, I made it clear. Mentioned only in the context of qualifications. Race pace is what you mentioned. If I really wasn't clear, that's fine. I don’t want to say that the translator is to blame, but it’s true. In any case, mwillems, you know that I am for politically correct communication on the forum. Just tell me how you realized that Leclerc and Sainz have more pace reserves than Lando? We don’t take Oscar into account, everything is clear with him. :D