2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

SilviuAgo wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:36
So this weekend was P2 in F2, P2 in Formula E, P2 in F1 and wondering what will follow in Indy500 😄 For the moment the race is under threat due to rain.
Let's hope not P2.

SilviuAgo

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:38
SilviuAgo wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:36
So this weekend was P2 in F2, P2 in Formula E, P2 in F1 and wondering what will follow in Indy500 😄 For the moment the race is under threat due to rain.
Let's hope not P2.
😄😄😄

Emag
Emag

With how close things are looking now, I think the car is good enough to fight it out with both Ferrari and RedBull (on a good day). I would expect Silverstone to be the next race where they bring upgrades.

It makes sense, logistically, and it's also where rivals are rumored to bring pats as well. If they can do one better and bring them in Austria again, then that would be great. I have a feeling this next raft of updates will be extremely important for the remaining half of the season.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:48
With how close things are looking now, I think the car is good enough to fight it out with both Ferrari and RedBull (on a good day). I would expect Silverstone to be the next race where they bring upgrades.

It makes sense, logistically, and it's also where rivals are rumored to bring pats as well. If they can do one better and bring them in Austria again, then that would be great. I have a feeling this next raft of updates will be extremely important for the remaining half of the season.
Did you really admit it? :lol: And you said that McLaren would be slow in the corners.

Papaya has reached a competitive plateau. There is no doubt that this will continue until the end of the season.

bauc

Overall great result, even tho SAI got super luck to be reinstated as 3rd again on the restart, if that was not the case I think we would have won on strategy. A bit sad that Ferrari used a anti-racing strategy today, but it was the right move for them so at the end kudos to them today.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Emag
Emag

LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:53
Emag wrote:

Did you really admit it? :lol: And you said that McLaren would be slow in the corners.

Papaya has reached a competitive plateau. There is no doubt that this will continue until the end of the season.
I think its fair to say Ferrari had a margin here. Car is good, but Ferrari is better on those sections. Doesnt mean McLaren can't beat them on more normal tracks. And RedBull doesn't stop being the benchmark just because they had a bad one here.

I expect to see them very competitive in Canada again.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:15
LionsHeart wrote:
Emag wrote:

I think its fair to say Ferrari had a margin here. Car is good, but Ferrari is better on those sections. Doesnt mean McLaren can't beat them on more normal tracks. And RedBull doesn't stop being the benchmark just because they had a bad one here.

How can you say that with confidence? Piastri would be on pole with his best sectors and in the race, no one was at the limit.

Without that pole, it is likely a clean McLaren victory.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does anybody know if AMuS is reliable, specifically Michael Schmidt? Just saw a post on the AMR thread that was speculating on Newey's next move. It stated that he's been contacted by Williams and McLaren, and Ferrari are no longer interested in his services.

EDIT: Of course also mentioned strong interest from AMR.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:21
Emag wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

How can you say that with confidence? Piastri would be on pole with his best sectors and in the race, no one was at the limit.

Well based on Leclerc's performance all weekend, I'd agree Ferrari were better here. I don't know if anyone has taken a close look at Leclerc's pole lap, it's possible he didn't string in his best possible lap as well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:33
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:21
Emag wrote:

Well based on Leclerc's performance all weekend, I'd agree Ferrari were better here. I don't know if anyone has taken a close look at Leclerc's pole lap, it's possible he didn't string in his best possible lap as well.
Leclerc did 3 best sectors on his pole lap.
I think Sainz did as well.

With best sector times, Piastri would be P1 and Norris P3. Those are facts from the qualy.

What was ultimate race pace is impossible to say as they were all holding back except Piastri when his tires went away at the end. But in no way can you say Ferrari was clearly faster. This is a race of qualy and Leclerc managed to nail the lap.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:29
Does anybody know if AMuS is reliable, specifically Michael Schmidt? Just saw a post on the AMR thread that was speculating on Newey's next move. It stated that he's been contacted by Williams and McLaren, and Ferrari are no longer interested in his services.

EDIT: Of course also mentioned strong interest from AMR.
AMuS is usually good.

I still think Newey to McLaren is an option that makes sense and it seemed that Jordan was either hinting it or had a slip up.

Vanja #66

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:38
With best sector times, Piastri would be P1 and Norris P3. Those are facts from the qualy.
That still leaves a scenario were Piastri pushed tyres just a bit too hard in final S2 and lost some grip in S3 as a result. Achieving best theoretical lap and actually stringing 3 personal best sectors in one lap are two different things, these Pirellis are sadly so freaking sensitive and borderline unraceable...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
Emag wrote:

To be honest, I didn’t see the advantage of Ferrari here. The teams were comparable. The racers themselves decided in qualifying. By sector, I didn’t see where McLaren lost to Ferrari. This is why I told you that Australia may not be indicative. But I have nothing against your cautious opinion. That was common sense on your part.

The density in the top3 has increased. This is very good. Now the driver's role has increased. This is the best season so far with the new regulations.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:46
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:38
That still leaves a scenario were Piastri pushed tyres just a bit too hard in final S2 and lost some grip in S3 as a result. Achieving best theoretical lap and actually stringing 3 personal best sectors in one lap are two different things, these Pirellis are sadly so freaking sensitive and borderline unraceable...
True, it is possible that is true. Still it is so borderline that no one can say with confidence anyone had a margin here. No one pulled away, no one domimated.

Slightly better VER setup and we may have had his victory.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:46
Emag wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

To be honest, I didn’t see the advantage of Ferrari here. The teams were comparable. The racers themselves decided in qualifying. By sector, I didn’t see where McLaren lost to Ferrari. This is why I told you that Australia may not be indicative. But I have nothing against your cautious opinion. That was common sense on your part.

The density in the top3 has increased. This is very good. Now the driver's role has increased. This is the best season so far with the new regulations.
Sainz had more left in his tyres by the end, he was pushing Piastri and had much more time in him than the Mclarens. Norris had no answer either and was largely unable to pressure or even catch Sainz at this point, despite having been able to manage his tyres more than Sainz or Piastri. That doesn't mean it would be the same if there had been a pit. But in the circumstances the Ferrari had more pace.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit