2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:14
Dafnalina wrote:
26 May 2024, 21:55
Andrea said Oscar could've been on pole if he put all his sectors together, but Oscar said he couldn't replicate it, if he had a good s1, he had to trade s2, and vice-versa. I think we were behind Ferrari by a small margin, but that will be more noticeable in Canada. That one I'm expecting as to be 2nd or 3rd best again.
Lando reckons Ferrari have better kerb riding which is key in Canada, however it’s kind of like Imola is Montreal, Mclaren did alright there didn’t they?
Should be a cracking season now on in
By the way, last year McLaren experienced big problems on tracks where long straights are separated by chicanes or hairpins. The circuit in Montreal and Monza fits perfectly here. These tracks are interesting because the cars in any case will have to be tuned to maximum speed, and at the same time try not to lose a lot of time in slow turns. This will be the first serious test for the updated chassis. Let's see if there is a speed reserve, if the range of adjustments and the width of the working window for chassis efficiency are enough.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:33

Only after reading your message twice did I realize that this was a translator problem. Thanks for pointing this out. And yeah, sorry, mate!

Well, I made it clear. Mentioned only in the context of qualifications. Race pace is what you mentioned. If I really wasn't clear, that's fine. I don’t want to say that the translator is to blame, but it’s true. In any case, mwillems, you know that I am for politically correct communication on the forum. Just tell me how you realized that Leclerc and Sainz have more pace reserves than Lando? We don’t take Oscar into account, everything is clear with him. :D
Lando had an opportunity to challenge Sainz at the end of the race as Sainz was challenging Piastri. Everyone was using up whatever they had left of their tyres. Naturally this was also an opportunity for Norris to pressure Sainz to protect his team mate and also to see if he can force Sainz into a mistake. Lando wasn't able to even get close to Sainz in the end, only matching him, so it looks like Lando had reached his limit, whereas Sainz had the ability to close again on Piastri and push him. I have no doubt that if by some Miracle Sainz would have got by Piastri, he would have driven off with nothing the Mclarens could do.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:52
LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:33

Only after reading your message twice did I realize that this was a translator problem. Thanks for pointing this out. And yeah, sorry, mate!

Well, I made it clear. Mentioned only in the context of qualifications. Race pace is what you mentioned. If I really wasn't clear, that's fine. I don’t want to say that the translator is to blame, but it’s true. In any case, mwillems, you know that I am for politically correct communication on the forum. Just tell me how you realized that Leclerc and Sainz have more pace reserves than Lando? We don’t take Oscar into account, everything is clear with him. :D
Lando had an opportunity to challenge Sainz at the end of the race as Sainz was challenging Piastri. Everyone was using up whatever they had left of their tyres. Naturally this was also an opportunity for Norris to pressure Sainz to protect his team mate and also to see if he can force Sainz into a mistake. Lando wasn't able to even get close to Sainz in the end, only matching him, so it looks like Lando had reached his limit, whereas Sainz had the ability to close again on Piastri and push him. I have no doubt that if by some Miracle Sainz would have got by Piastri, he would have driven off with nothing the Mclarens could do.
Thank you. Now I at least understand on what basis you made such conclusions.

Honestly, it's hard to say. May be so. But until the last phase of the race, Lando repeatedly attacked Sainz. Perhaps he managed to overheat the tires. When I looked at the final phase, I told myself that Lando should calm down and just get to the finish line without losses, it’s still impossible to overtake. Verstappen was running on fresher tires and was unable to overtake Russell. Therefore, without the presence of driving errors in the top 4, a change in positions could not be expected. And I’m glad that Lando calmed down in the end and didn’t put pressure on Sainz. This no longer made sense. But if Oscar could go at Leclerc’s pace, then it would make sense.

I will add: In any case, I am not disappointed with the results of the race. I'm even happy for Leclerc. He long ago deserved victory on his native soil. He was just unlucky, just like Lando was unlucky with his first victory. Just don’t classify me as a Ferrari fan. No. I respect my opponents, and the fact that the top three teams are separated by sometimes tenths, sometimes hundredths of a second is impressive. Before the start of the season, I couldn’t imagine this.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 26 May 2024, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
Dafnalina wrote:
Andrea said Oscar could've been on pole if he put all his sectors together, but Oscar said he couldn't replicate it, if he had a good s1, he had to trade s2, and vice-versa. I think we were behind Ferrari by a small margin, but that will be more noticeable in Canada. That one I'm expecting as to be 2nd or 3rd best again.
Lando reckons Ferrari have better kerb riding which is key in Canada, however it’s kind of like Imola is Montreal, Mclaren did alright there didn’t they?
Canada, on paper, is again not a super favorable track for McLaren. They have been doing just fine on these "not so favorable" tracks on paper though, so I don't know what to expect. I want to let the next 2-3 races pan out to get a clearer picture on strengths vs weaknesses of the current top 3.

Also keeping an eye on Mercedes since they are on an aggressive development plan. Latest changes have brought improvements for them, so if they keep this up it wont be long before they join the fight in front too. A bit cautious with Mercedes though, because they have had plenty of false positives in recent memory so let's see how they will do this time.

What I am really hoping is for McLaren to have enough to challenge for the win at Silverstone. It's been far too long since McLaren last won at home.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Emag wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:30
Canada, on paper, is again not a super favorable track for McLaren.
The Mclaren is not the same car it was last year, or even from the start of the season. Using old ideas of where the car will be good at need to be revised.

mwillems

Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:50
Emag wrote:
The Mclaren is not the same car it was last year, or even from the start of the season. Using old ideas of where the car will be good at need to be revised.
That's basically what he said in his post.

Canada is an interesting track. A good test of the efficiency of a car on a fast track that still demands downforce.

-Bandit

mwillems

Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:
Dafnalina wrote:
Canada, on paper, is again not a super favorable track for McLaren. They have been doing just fine on these "not so favorable" tracks on paper though, so I don't know what to expect. I want to let the next 2-3 races pan out to get a clearer picture on strengths vs weaknesses of the current top 3.

Also keeping an eye on Mercedes since they are on an aggressive development plan. Latest changes have brought improvements for them, so if they keep this up it wont be long before they join the fight in front too. A bit cautious with Mercedes though, because they have had plenty of false positives in recent memory so let's see how they will do this time.

What I am really hoping is for McLaren to have enough to challenge for the win at Silverstone. It's been far too long since McLaren last won at home.
We did pretty well there last year. Let's wait and see.

I love Canada though, a mighty track. How great to go to each race and think you can win.

-Bandit

Balalu
Balalu

Let us all take a moment to absorb the good old feeling of being dissapointed with coming "only" second...... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Balalu on 27 May 2024, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

dia6olo
dia6olo

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:51
Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:46
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 19:38
With best sector times, Piastri would be P1 and Norris P3. Those are facts from the qualy.
That still leaves a scenario were Piastri pushed tyres just a bit too hard in final S2 and lost some grip in S3 as a result. Achieving best theoretical lap and actually stringing 3 personal best sectors in one lap are two different things, these Pirellis are sadly so freaking sensitive and borderline unraceable...
True, it is possible that is true. Still it is so borderline that no one can say with confidence anyone had a margin here. No one pulled away, no one domimated.

Slightly better VER setup and we may have had his victory.
Having seen what Leclerc is capable of at Monaco qualifying in recent years, if anyone had more in the lap than what they delivered, it was very likely Leclerc, having looked at his pole lap, it looked like a conservative lap to me, car looked planted and never once flirted with the barriers, it left me feeling like that car had another 2/3 tenths in it...
Last edited by dia6olo on 27 May 2024, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

mwillems wrote:
27 May 2024, 00:09
Seanspeed wrote:
Emag wrote:
Only if you dont understand that the car's fundamental characteristics have changed.

mwillems

Seanspeed wrote:
27 May 2024, 00:47
mwillems wrote:
27 May 2024, 00:09
Seanspeed wrote:

Only if you dont understand that the car's fundamental characteristics have changed.
No, the post said they wanted to understand the fundamental strengths and weaknesses of the current top 3 as its difficult to understand where they'd be good.

It was pretty explicit. The thread has been discussing which tracks will pose a challenge to the car, fortunately the next two tracks offer a great challenge. Particularly Barcelona.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:
Dafnalina wrote:

Yea definitely looking forward to see the McLaren on ‘open’ circuits- Barcelona, Silverstone etc
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems, this is what I found. But I am not ready to admit that this schedule can be considered realistic.

BMMR61

2 McLarens in hectic top 4 at Indy! 6 laps to go! Bit more exciting than Monaco!

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I apologize if this has already been posted here before.