2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

So 1 second pace difference to the winning cars? That´s far from poor

Can´t wait to Montmello!

diffuser

Doesn't really matter how much you speculate, it has no effect on what will come to be.

For me, they've already achieved what they set out to do this year. What will arrive in Spain will just be gravy. I mean obviously we want them to improve but at least there is racing this year. They pass cars on the track, it isn't always backwards.

I wonder if that means there will not be much at Baku with regards to upgrades? They've already pointed our Gaze to Spain...

trinidefender
trinidefender

You can't simply divide the finishing time behind a certain car by the number of laps and say they are X number of seconds behind and claim their race pace is that much slower. It doesn't work like that. That doesn't take into account the largest factor. Traffic. Running I'm traffic hurts race pace a lot.

makecry
makecry

dren wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 17:06
Macklaren wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 14:45
dren wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 14:35

Alonso was about 25 seconds from the closest RB at about lap 25. That RB had already pitted once where Alonso had not. Between race strategies at that point, Alonso averaged about a second a lap loss to the nearest RB.
Yes, again because he was running a completely different strategy on different tires. Also starting 10 pace behind hurts your ability to run in the pace. I'm by no means suggesting that the McL has the same pace as the RB. It prob not 1sec/lap in Race trim though.
Yes, different strategies. Ricciardo was lapping quicker than 1s per lap than Alonso, but due to strategy with pit stop times included, Alonso was on average 1s a lap slower.

You can also look at the race between Alonso and Kimi. Both ran almost identical strategies. Alonso finished 20 seconds down, losing a second a lap to Kimi in the last 20 or so laps after the safety car. Alonso had 2 laps newer tires on the final stint.

nirvaand
nirvaand

trinidefender wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 19:32
You can't simply divide the finishing time behind a certain car by the number of laps and say they are X number of seconds behind and claim their race pace is that much slower. It doesn't work like that. That doesn't take into account the largest factor. Traffic. Running I'm traffic hurts race pace a lot.
Yeah that's true, that's why it's important to look at the race as a whole and compare lap times from different part of the races, i.e. traffic vs. free air. Comparing Fernando to Kimi (most similar in terms of strategy and tyres).

Based on exact race lap times from both drivers in China:

Laps 3 to 16:

Fernando was on average exactly 1.520 seconds a lap slower than Kimi. This was largely because he was staring at the back of Romain Grosjean, who slowed him down drastically.

Lap 17 to 26:

Romain Grosjean pitted and this gave Fernando time to run in free air. During this phase, he was only 0.786 seconds a lap slower than Kimi.

Lap 26 to 35:

Both pit within 2 laps of each other, and then the safety car period.

Lap 36 to 47:

Fernando is stuck behind KMag, lapping on average 1.032 seconds a lap slower than Kimi.

Lap 47 to 56:

Ferando gets past KMag, runs in free air for most laps, lapping on average 0.571 seconds a lap slower than Kimi. But Kimi was stuck behind Valtteri for majority of this last phase.

If both drivers are in free air, Fernando seems to be only 0.7 to 0.8 seconds a lap slower than Kimi. This is obviously not ideal for a team like McLaren, but very encouraging.

McLaren seem to have a very strong race pace, but their qualifying pace is certainly costing them. Hopefully the new car at Barcelona mitigates this problem.

f1316
f1316

I think the real positive for McLaren is that they were able to remove a variable - they now know exactly what the power unit is capable of and can make direct GPS comparisons with cars running the same PU, so there is no longer any need for assumptions on power etc.

This gives them a much clearer understanding of their weak points so can inform development over the next few years - so it’s all really useful information for the chassis department.

This year, they’ve made a reasonable if unspectacular chassis; it’s around a similar level to the works Renault - which ordinarily for a customer team would be a good achievement - but a long way off the Red Bull which is potentially the best performing chassis on the grid.

That’s certainly not what the team were aiming for this year, but equally the year is young and their task is now very clear; it’s a process but just a bigger one than they seemed to be expecting.

techman
techman

This year, they’ve made a reasonable if unspectacular chassis; it’s around a similar level to the works Renault
I think mclaren joining with renault basically helped them to realize there are weakness in their chassis for all these years previously. and it call "Drag", The last time they made a good chassis was 2012. It a positive now because they can focus the aero and make it more efficient .

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

diffuser wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 18:05
Doesn't really matter how much you speculate, it has no effect on what will come to be.

For me, they've already achieved what they set out to do this year. What will arrive in Spain will just be gravy. I mean obviously we want them to improve but at least there is racing this year. They pass cars on the track, it isn't always backwards.

I wonder if that means there will not be much at Baku with regards to upgrades? They've already pointed our Gaze to Spain...
We all know Baku will be a difficult track, if we could finish in points it would be a blessing.
So, it's much more sensible to keep the update and work on the details two weeks further and Spain will be spot on.

In regard to your second paragraph, I both agree and disagree. Sure, McLaren looks much better off this year, but there is a long way in front and we have to keep evolving. Finishing 4th is a matter of symbolism more of essence.

wesley123
wesley123

Re: McLaren MCL33

Chuckjr wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 02:47
I'm not saying any of this is going to happen, but if this is true...

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... for_Spain/

"After a tough start to the 2018 season despite the Honda era having ended, Spain’s Marca newspaper said the team may be preparing a ‘new chassis’ for the race in Barcelona next month.

Team boss Eric Boullier now confirms to Speed Week: “The 2018 car as we imagined it will be in Spain.

“In an ideal world, we would have had it for Australia but it was not possible. So we have used so far a development of the 2017 car,” revealed the Frenchman.

“We knew from the beginning that our options would be limited, although it has been frustrating, particularly in qualifying.”

Asked if the ‘B’ car will finally put McLaren where it wants to be, Boullier answered: “I’d rather promise less and deliver more.

“I’ve been in formula one long enough to say that we’ll drink champagne when we reach the podium.”"
It's just nicely phrased to say that they'll bring a bigger update pack, which is something literally every team does and has done so for quite a few years.

And the claim that they have used an evolution of the 2017 car instead of the actual 2018 car is a big load of bullshit.
The car has quite a few significant differences compared to the 2017 car and it's also rather weird to give the car a new designation if it's just an update of last years car. What also is weird is that this is the first time(afaik) they actually mention using a 2017 car, instead of the 2018 car.

Of course I can't be 100% certain, but I'll take this with a grain of salt. I for one am looking forward to them saying this isn't actually the 2018 car either, that'll be funny.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

As we can see, journalists always end up making their own conclusions. Mclaren hasn't described the update as a B-spec, it's simply what they had hoped to bring to Melbourne. Maybe it will be the car they should have started the season, with the usual Barcelona updates, meaning they'll have a bigger update package than other teams. Of course, I could be wrong.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

techman wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 11:56
This year, they’ve made a reasonable if unspectacular chassis; it’s around a similar level to the works Renault
I think mclaren joining with renault basically helped them to realize there are weakness in their chassis for all these years previously. and it call "Drag", The last time they made a good chassis was 2012. It a positive now because they can focus the aero and make it more efficient .
Yes I agree, now when they have good engine can focus on chassis development.

godlameroso

Re: McLaren MCL33

wesley123 wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 11:58
Chuckjr wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 02:47
I'm not saying any of this is going to happen, but if this is true...

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... for_Spain/

"After a tough start to the 2018 season despite the Honda era having ended, Spain’s Marca newspaper said the team may be preparing a ‘new chassis’ for the race in Barcelona next month.

Team boss Eric Boullier now confirms to Speed Week: “The 2018 car as we imagined it will be in Spain.

“In an ideal world, we would have had it for Australia but it was not possible. So we have used so far a development of the 2017 car,” revealed the Frenchman.

“We knew from the beginning that our options would be limited, although it has been frustrating, particularly in qualifying.”

Asked if the ‘B’ car will finally put McLaren where it wants to be, Boullier answered: “I’d rather promise less and deliver more.

“I’ve been in formula one long enough to say that we’ll drink champagne when we reach the podium.”"
It's just nicely phrased to say that they'll bring a bigger update pack, which is something literally every team does and has done so for quite a few years.

And the claim that they have used an evolution of the 2017 car instead of the actual 2018 car is a big load of bullshit.
The car has quite a few significant differences compared to the 2017 car and it's also rather weird to give the car a new designation if it's just an update of last years car. What also is weird is that this is the first time(afaik) they actually mention using a 2017 car, instead of the 2018 car.

Of course I can't be 100% certain, but I'll take this with a grain of salt. I for one am looking forward to them saying this isn't actually the 2018 car either, that'll be funny.
Not really, I remember various seasons in the mid 2000's when McLaren regularly brought B spec cars during the season and had big steps in performance.

If I had to peg it, I'd say McLaren underestimated the chassis integration, and it took them the two weeks in testing to sort that out. What they have now is a small evolution of last year's car. After testing they could have brought in an immature package and would have largely been a waste of resources. I feel they realized they undershot their targets and the package that's coming has been in development since last year, but testing threw them a curve ball. So instead of rushing it they've been trying to develop this package to get them closer to the new targets established in testing. They bring in small details and some parts to validate the upcoming package.

Along with the crash testing requirements, and the extent of upgrades means they're being thorough. McLaren can't afford to waste resources on big updates that don't bring the lap time, so they rather take their time and make sure what they put on the car works.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

Bill_Kar wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 11:56
diffuser wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 18:05

We all know Baku will be a difficult track, if we could finish in points it would be a blessing.
So, it's much more sensible to keep the update and work on the details two weeks further and Spain will be spot on.

In regard to your second paragraph, I both agree and disagree. Sure, McLaren looks much better off this year, but there is a long way in front and we have to keep evolving. Finishing 4th is a matter of symbolism more of essence.

I'm hoping for at least a low profile rear wing and adjustment of the rear suspension so that they're squatting to the MAX during the straights.

That's what I meant ...maybe I what should have said was "Mission accomplished" with a little luck for the beginning of the year (Phase 1). Phase II Starts in Spain.

mrluke
mrluke

Even if Mclaren are bringing their "Australia car" to Spain, that means they are at least 7 weeks of updates behind the other teams, assuming none of those tested their Aus cars in the winter testing.

Its all academic really whatever way you spin it the car Mclaren will have in Spain will be racing against the cars the other teams bring to Spain, not the ones they had in Aus.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mrluke wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 18:18
Even if Mclaren are bringing their "Australia car" to Spain, that means they are at least 7 weeks of updates behind the other teams, assuming none of those tested their Aus cars in the winter testing.

Its all academic really whatever way you spin it the car Mclaren will have in Spain will be racing against the cars the other teams bring to Spain, not the ones they had in Aus.
That's a good point you've made. Let's hope it's an "updated" version of the car they should have brought to Melbourne. Hopefully, they were working on two fronts...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.