2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman
techman

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

What they were saying last year about the chassis was true....i dont know why people think last years chassis being good is a lie just because this year's chassis isn't. They didnt do good enough job over the winter but last years car was really good.
No, they had no real comparison because the engine was different. they were so confident with their chassis they brought an evolution this year and now they are saying it has too much drag.Looks like reality hit hard for them. Now its just getting clear the real problem. Drag. iam happy now they are trying to reduce drag and bring a different car in spain. good luck to them.

Andres125sx

santos wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 10:44
I'm just going to leave this words from Fernando and Zak Brown in december:

“We can see what Red Bull are doing with the Renault power unit,” said Alonso.
“Maybe they are not the quickest, but they are fighting for podiums and victories. That will be a very good step if we can achieve that.”
Direct comparisons with Red Bull are inevitable next year but team boss Zak Brown says McLaren have nothing to fear.
“Sometimes we would have been ahead of them, sometimes behind,” Brown told Sky F1 in Abu Dhabi ahead of the season-ending race.
“We have all the GPS data, we would have been right there with Red Bull. Our season would have looked like theirs.”

I think that we can conclude that they were talking about victories and podiums.
If... conditional, no assertment but you get it as some sort of promise? :roll:

marvin78
marvin78

Alonso Fan wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 10:57
marvin78 wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 10:42
And you missed the point, too. I don't care about Alonso, I don't care about any driver. It was only an example for the bullshit here and everywhere. From Alonso, from all the others and from most users here. You just missed it because the name Alonso was uses and red lights went on ;)
No. You asked a question 'was it?' and I answered. I don't go off what you care about and what you don't. If I'm answering a question I go off what you're asking.
And you still missed my point. No problem. Go on.

Alonso Fan

marvin78 wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:52
Alonso Fan wrote:
marvin78 wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 10:42
And you missed the point, too. I don't care about Alonso, I don't care about any driver. It was only an example for the bullshit here and everywhere. From Alonso, from all the others and from most users here. You just missed it because the name Alonso was uses and red lights went on ;)
No. You asked a question 'was it?' and I answered. I don't go off what you care about and what you don't. If I'm answering a question I go off what you're asking.
I get your point. I don't need to demonstrate that to you. You don't like this thread and think most users on here are full of crap. There that's your point. So what are you still doing here? If you don't like this thread go read a thread that you like
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

santos
santos

Andres125sx wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:51
santos wrote:

“Maybe they are not the quickest, but they are fighting for podiums and victories. That will be a very good step if we can achieve that.”
Direct comparisons with Red Bull are inevitable next year but team boss Zak Brown says McLaren have nothing to fear.
“Sometimes we would have been ahead of them, sometimes behind,” Brown told Sky F1 in Abu Dhabi ahead of the season-ending race.
“We have all the GPS data, we would have been right there with Red Bull. Our season would have looked like theirs.”

I think that we can conclude that they were talking about victories and podiums.
Well there is always conditional when someone talks about the future. Not even Mercedes says that they will win the championship. But hey, i'm trooling anyone. I hope that they really bring a competitive car for Barcelona. I just think that some things that have been said by some people from Mclaren, may put them in a bad position.

marvin78
marvin78

Alonso Fan wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:56
marvin78 wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

I get your point. I don't need to demonstrate that to you. You don't like this thread and think most users on here are full of crap. There that's your point. So what are you still doing here? If you don't like this thread go read a thread that you like
Like I said.

Alonso Fan

marvin78 wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 14:16
Alonso Fan wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:56
marvin78 wrote:

Like I said.
Don't insult my intelligence.

Yes, like you said:
It was only an example for the bullshit here and everywhere. From Alonso, from all the others and from most users here.
So as I said, if you think most people here are posting crap, go and read another thread.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

marvin78
marvin78

I don't do things because someone tells me so. And your conclusion is just wrong. There are users posting good stuff. I am able to overread the BS. But this discussion is just boring me, so I go back to reading here. Feels like talking to kids about their toys.

Andres125sx

santos wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 12:09
Andres125sx wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 11:51
santos wrote:

Well there is always conditional when someone talks about the future. Not even Mercedes says that they will win the championship. But hey, i'm trooling anyone. I hope that they really bring a competitive car for Barcelona. I just think that some things that have been said by some people from Mclaren, may put them in a bad position.
Wrong there's a difference between 'our target is getting some podium' and 'if we can fight for podiums that will be very good'

Team crew who talk with media is extremelly careful about the words they use, so we should pay attention to what they exactly say before assuming what we think or would like them to say

cramr
cramr

As for now they are very far from RBR. Last race with a Safety car like 20 laps before the end of the race, Ricciardo manage to get 30 seconds gap to Alonso so let's say they are around 1sec a lap slower in race pace. In previous races the mclaren were lapped so...
Recovering 1 second a lap in F1 is a massive improvement, maybe they have in the pocket and will arrive in Barcelona but all other teams will bring big updates to so I'm guessing they will still struggle to get into Q3 in Saturday and will be around 30-50 sec away from podium in races...

F1NAC

You should all take into consideration that RB was running fresh set of softs before making any conclusions regarding on RB's pace in China

dren

F1NAC wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 13:38
You should all take into consideration that RB was running fresh set of softs before making any conclusions regarding on RB's pace in China
Alonso was about 25 seconds from the closest RB at about lap 25. That RB had already pitted once where Alonso had not. Between race strategies at that point, Alonso averaged about a second a lap loss to the nearest RB.
Honda!

Macklaren
Macklaren

dren wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 14:35
F1NAC wrote:
Alonso was about 25 seconds from the closest RB at about lap 25. That RB had already pitted once where Alonso had not. Between race strategies at that point, Alonso averaged about a second a lap loss to the nearest RB.
Yes, again because he was running a completely different strategy on different tires. Also starting 10 pace behind hurts your ability to run in the pace. I'm by no means suggesting that the McL has the same pace as the RB. It prob not 1sec/lap in Race trim though.

cramr
cramr

Macklaren wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 14:45
dren wrote:
F1NAC wrote:
Yes, again because he was running a completely different strategy on different tires. Also starting 10 pace behind hurts your ability to run in the pace. I'm by no means suggesting that the McL has the same pace as the RB. It prob not 1sec/lap in Race trim though.
Australia, Alonso P5 20 sec behind Ricciardo.
We can blame strategy or anything. But also remember that not getting into Q3 allows you to start with fresh tyres which should give you extra pace. Ricciardo was not starting 1st either so he is also dealing with traffic

Also, you can look at qualy times, maybe not 1 sec but around 0.6 - 0.8 easy

Anyway. We will see in 1 month where this amazing 2018 car is.

dren

Macklaren wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 14:45
dren wrote:
F1NAC wrote:
Yes, different strategies. Ricciardo was lapping quicker than 1s per lap than Alonso, but due to strategy with pit stop times included, Alonso was on average 1s a lap slower.

You can also look at the race between Alonso and Kimi. Both ran almost identical strategies. Alonso finished 20 seconds down, losing a second a lap to Kimi in the last 20 or so laps after the safety car. Alonso had 2 laps newer tires on the final stint.
Honda!