[ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Scorpaguy

Re: [ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

"Poutine Sport"..."Maple Syrup Motors". Edging closer to the day that F1 will become the realm of but 2 types:

1. 2 skilled drivers on works teams competing for the WDC.

2. 18 spoiled rich kids spending Dad's money...banging around on each other in their futile attempts to remain but a few laps down.

PlatinumZealot

Do they need to bring back tobacco sponsorship to survive? Makes me wonder.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

coaster

Definately bring back alchohol, fits in and comes down to responsible useage.
Tobacco impossible.
(the Martini livery sure looked the goods?)

Jolle
Jolle

Tobacco and alcohol is looking back. Liberty and the teams should be looking forward and ask themselves why they aren’t the platform yet for other companies with billion dollar marketing budgets.

Scorpaguy

...if it takes as long to spool the economy back up as many think (and this is sans a covid resurgence), the self-righteous of the world may have to choose between personally abhorrent sponsorship deals or a 5-team grid. 3-car teams, customer car teams, etc. all may have to be on the table.

I assume at this time Claire is looking for a buyer that will allow Frank to have a nominal role and remain a part of the sobriquet. Covid could not have came at worse time for Williams.

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
30 May 2020, 20:00
Do they need to bring back tobacco sponsorship to survive? Makes me wonder.
I have fond memories of tobacco liveries and i never felt the urge to try their smelly cigarettes.

Let them spend money i say.

Jolle
Jolle

It looks like F1 is in a perfect storm again. Three teams that could fold within the next few seasons of sooner for three different reasons: Williams because of lack of long term funding, HAAS because of results and lost interest of it's biggest backer and Renault for possibility of bad publicity after a bailout of the parent company. Then we have of course McLaren in rough water, PM who as far as I know hasn't signed a new deal with FCA and Mercedes who won a lot and might well do a last dance.

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote: ↑
30 May 2020, 23:08
It looks like F1 is in a perfect storm again. Three teams that could fold within the next few seasons of sooner for three different reasons: Williams because of lack of long term funding, HAAS because of results and lost interest of it's biggest backer and Renault for possibility of bad publicity after a bailout of the parent company. Then we have of course McLaren in rough water, PM who as far as I know hasn't signed a new deal with FCA and Mercedes who won a lot and might well do a last dance.
And a cost cap limit that means that the likes of Mercedes won't have to spend much more than they would for a halftime advert in the World Cup for a whole season of advertising and some smaller teams, such as McLaren could actually turn a profit from the team.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

PlatinumZealot

I think Renault is solid depite the commotion. They are still the largest automaker in F1 and they never had a big balls budget since they came back in the sport. They pretty much controlled costs from the get go. Marketing wise and technology wise it is a good time to be in F1. Just ask Honda.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Scorpaguy

On the Rokit website...a page is dedicated to their autosport sponsorships....which are many/wide ranging. However, no mention of F1/Williams...do not know if they have already scrubbed their page or if "trouble has been a brewin' for a while.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Only a few sin industries left untapped. Of those, gambling definitely has the biggest marketing budget.

proteus

adrianjordan wrote: ↑
29 May 2020, 18:00
F1NAC wrote: ↑
29 May 2020, 09:44
They have terminated the sponsorship

https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/stat ... 2944403462
Anyone know what happened?

My guess is Rokit not paid up, but that is nothing more than a guess.

I did see an advert in TV the other day for Rokit car cleaning products "approved by Williams F1 Team" and thought it sounded cheesy and not the image any F1 team would want....
ROKiT failed to pay them 10 million for previous year....guess the woichester sauce didnt help Claire as she thought it will....
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I feel sorry for the Williams Family having to sell the team. They have sold lots of Williams Assets over the past few years. I do think the rot had set a decade or more ago. I think they had a good 3 years when the Turbo Hybrid era started, they sort of lucked in in 2014, had a good 2015 and 2016, but 2017 saw the rot appear again with 2018 it got bad and 2019 was the apex of it.

The team invest a estimated Β£7.5m in their gearbox department, when they could hire in a supply for Β£4.5m a year from McLaren. Their gearbox is heavier than others, 20Kg is an estimate, they could easily take a McLaren supply and save weight and get a faster car. Paddy Lowe said they wouldn't do this ever, as their Aluminium case was integral to their car design he said or something.

They have or have had a blame culture in the team, that was ultimately a toxically dangerous mix in F1, with one department blaming one another and people within a department.

This is a team that is so set in its ways, its almost as it needs a bloody mass firing event, with maybe 50-70 fired in one fell swoop, with another new 60-85 new faces in the team. A new ethos, a scrapping of the gearbox department to save money and add performance.

The team is ripe for a takeover from a Canadian food magnate, a Japanese Car Manufacturer or a second American team who have been lined up with a Mercedes Chassis team take over, see Penskie.

F1 in a nutshell is at a crossroads, Williams if for sale and i can see another team being sold and one manufacturer leaving. The rules for the next decade need to do something about aero testing as a balance of performance, and the budgets need to be drastically reduced, this seems to be happening. F1 needs to go further and limit data gathering and data analysis, give the teams more unknowns. F1 needs to show it can be a lean and efficient operation, dare i say even a profit making sport for the teams? Then once we have a fair and even championship, then we open the technical regs up and make the cars faster for a lower budget.

Williams is just the first to blink in this economic environment, there will be more. Renault i think will be the other with Sauber and Haas looking at options. To be honest, all teams will look at their options, i can see Red Bull and Ferrari launching Le Mans Hypercar teams. F1 and motorsport as we knew it, as we loved it, it is over. Sport as a whole will see budgets slashed, i suggest Footballers will see wages cut and transfer fees culled. There is a new normal coming to all sport, not just our own.

coaster

"team that is so set in its ways, its almost as it needs a bloody mass firing event, with maybe 50-70 fired in one fell swoop"

Redbull did this at Jaguar, it was only a handful of bad apples 'bully types' who held everybody back, it can be done.

adrianjordan

ESPImperium wrote: ↑
31 May 2020, 23:37
I feel sorry for the Williams Family having to sell the team. They have sold lots of Williams Assets over the past few years. I do think the rot had set a decade or more ago. I think they had a good 3 years when the Turbo Hybrid era started, they sort of lucked in in 2014, had a good 2015 and 2016, but 2017 saw the rot appear again with 2018 it got bad and 2019 was the apex of it.

The team invest a estimated Β£7.5m in their gearbox department, when they could hire in a supply for Β£4.5m a year from McLaren. Their gearbox is heavier than others, 20Kg is an estimate, they could easily take a McLaren supply and save weight and get a faster car. Paddy Lowe said they wouldn't do this ever, as their Aluminium case was integral to their car design he said or something.

They have or have had a blame culture in the team, that was ultimately a toxically dangerous mix in F1, with one department blaming one another and people within a department.

This is a team that is so set in its ways, its almost as it needs a bloody mass firing event, with maybe 50-70 fired in one fell swoop, with another new 60-85 new faces in the team. A new ethos, a scrapping of the gearbox department to save money and add performance.

The team is ripe for a takeover from a Canadian food magnate, a Japanese Car Manufacturer or a second American team who have been lined up with a Mercedes Chassis team take over, see Penskie.

F1 in a nutshell is at a crossroads, Williams if for sale and i can see another team being sold and one manufacturer leaving. The rules for the next decade need to do something about aero testing as a balance of performance, and the budgets need to be drastically reduced, this seems to be happening. F1 needs to go further and limit data gathering and data analysis, give the teams more unknowns. F1 needs to show it can be a lean and efficient operation, dare i say even a profit making sport for the teams? Then once we have a fair and even championship, then we open the technical regs up and make the cars faster for a lower budget.

Williams is just the first to blink in this economic environment, there will be more. Renault i think will be the other with Sauber and Haas looking at options. To be honest, all teams will look at their options, i can see Red Bull and Ferrari launching Le Mans Hypercar teams. F1 and motorsport as we knew it, as we loved it, it is over. Sport as a whole will see budgets slashed, i suggest Footballers will see wages cut and transfer fees culled. There is a new normal coming to all sport, not just our own.
With regard to the gearbox, I think I read somewhere that the reason they won't source them elsewhere is that they are an engineering company and it wouldn't look very good for an engineering company to buy in one of the most technical engineering parts on the car outside of the PU.

Which is all well and good if your gearbox is as good as everyone else's. If it really is 20kg as you mentioned though, then I would argue that doesn't reflect quite so well on the company!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ