[ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jackles-UK

Re: [ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Hopefully this doesn’t mean the end of the Williams story, it’d be such a shame to lose a team that has been so integral in shaping the sport we see today and so many world champions through their support of young drivers.

One glimmer of hope for them is that with the freeze on much of the expensive development for 2021, the cost cap and the aero handicap rules (which would give them over 20% more aero time next year than the leaders in their current place) coming in, Williams must be quite an attractive option for anyone looking to get involved in F1, particularly given their history, prestige and fan base. I’m thinking along the lines of the Genii deal to run as Lotus a few years ago. It’s just who out there has the cash to spare at a time like this.

bill shoe
bill shoe

The team by itself would be obviously worth something, especially with F1 coming to its senses in terms of cost cap, etc. Unfortunately, the team has considerable debt and any new owner would also be taking on the debt. This makes it unclear if the overall team has any net value at present.

Don't know anything about UK bankruptcy law. Any chance of the team shedding some debt in bankruptcy process and coming out other end in better shape?

adrianjordan

bill shoe wrote:
29 May 2020, 15:36
The team by itself would be obviously worth something, especially with F1 coming to its senses in terms of cost cap, etc. Unfortunately, the team has considerable debt and any new owner would also be taking on the debt. This makes it unclear if the overall team has any net value at present.

Don't know anything about UK bankruptcy law. Any chance of the team shedding some debt in bankruptcy process and coming out other end in better shape?
I'm by no means anything close to approaching knowledgeable on bankruptcy law, but I'm fairly sure I've heard of companies declaring bankruptcy and then selling their assets to a new corporate entity which carries on where the old one left off.

If Williams were to do this obviously they'd need permission from F1 to carry on racing etc, but I am sure that in the current economic climate they would get all the help they could ask for.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

F1NAC wrote:
29 May 2020, 09:44
They have terminated the sponsorship

https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/stat ... 2944403462
Anyone know what happened?

My guess is Rokit not paid up, but that is nothing more than a guess.

I did see an advert in TV the other day for Rokit car cleaning products "approved by Williams F1 Team" and thought it sounded cheesy and not the image any F1 team would want....

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Raleigh
Raleigh

adrianjordan wrote:
29 May 2020, 17:58
bill shoe wrote:
29 May 2020, 15:36

I'm by no means anything close to approaching knowledgeable on bankruptcy law, but I'm fairly sure I've heard of companies declaring bankruptcy and then selling their assets to a new corporate entity which carries on where the old one left off.

If Williams were to do this obviously they'd need permission from F1 to carry on racing etc, but I am sure that in the current economic climate they would get all the help they could ask for.
As I understand it selling on the assets after bankruptcy or administration requires a settlement with creditors for any secured debt.

Selling the assets as a complete F1 entrant would likely represent much more value than spliting up the team but the settlement is not going to be cheap and anyone trying to buy the assets to compete in F1 is probably going to end up paying a large chunk of the existing debt.

Racer X

Re: Williams FW43

Williams lost Rokit as a sponsor so i wonder can they change their livery up completely?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Scorpaguy

Racer X wrote:
29 May 2020, 23:07
Williams lost Rokit as a sponsor so i wonder can they change their livery up completely?
RX...Williams posted a story about a new livery forthcoming. However, the real problem may be finding a car upon which to put it.

Jolle
Jolle

Scorpaguy wrote:
29 May 2020, 23:13
Racer X wrote:
29 May 2020, 23:07
RX...Williams posted a story about a new livery forthcoming. However, the real problem may be finding a car upon which to put it.
Showing up at the first race in a render. “Oh, we’re doing this for real now?”

coaster

Daily mail confirms sale, hopefully its not a shady russian oil tycoon.

Tattoo-

coaster wrote:
30 May 2020, 00:20
My guess is it's a respected Canadian food tycoon...
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

adrianjordan

Tattoo- wrote:
30 May 2020, 09:08
coaster wrote:
30 May 2020, 00:20
My guess is it's a respected Canadian food tycoon...
That rules Villeneuve out then 😂😂

adrianjordan

Question: As the season never got underway, can Williams completely change their livery?

coaster

Good point, Latifi's business interests should plastered all over the car if Rokit stopped the flow of cash.

ScrewCaptain27

adrianjordan wrote:
30 May 2020, 11:04
Question: As the season never got underway, can Williams completely change their livery?
Yes, Mclaren already did so in 2015.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Mansell89
Mansell89

If I had the finances I’d be Seriously interested in buying Williams F1.

With the cost cap moves coming in, the convergence of engine performance, and an opportunity to catch up via Aero, you would have to be quietly optimistic of a run for your money?

It’s a shame Lawrence Stroll jumped ship a little early.

A little “out-there” thought of mine is whether something could be done by the Renault group? Think about their disappointment that McLaren wouldn’t agree a “synergy” partnership with them for mutual benefits like shared parts etc.

Could one of the groups side brands like Infiniti come in and snap up Williams to go for a AlphaTauri/Red Bull model?

Infiniti Williams Racing 2021.