Lotus F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Holm86

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2013

stefan_ wrote:And come back with Honda, as there were rumours that they want only a 1-year deal with Renault just to get on the Honda boat next year.

But then again, sitting on year would be impossible because there are ongoing sponsorship contracts that cannot be postponed and without that money someone should just pump money into the emploeyees' salaries for 1 year without getting anything in exchange.
I thought McLaren had an exclusive deal with Honda for 2015. So they are the only team that could run Honda engines that year.

Pierce89

mikeerfol wrote:Wait, Lotus doesn't have a deal with an engine supplier for 2014?? :o
Not to public knowledge
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mikeerfol

Pierce89 wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Wait, Lotus doesn't have a deal with an engine supplier for 2014?? :o
Not to public knowledge
Well, I guess that would be one of the reasons they want the winter testing in Jerez to be postponed.

Gridlock

It's not a good sign to not have anything announced yet, is it. Kimi's invoices not the only ones still in the in-tray?

slimfitcasual

How's that Quantum Motorsports $$$ coming along eh?
Per ardua ad astra

FW17

mikeerfol wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Not to public knowledge
Well, I guess that would be one of the reasons they want the winter testing in Jerez to be postponed.
They probably have a long term agreement with Renault being an ex works team hence did not bother with an announcement.

lio007

WilliamsF1 wrote: They probably have a long term agreement with Renault being an ex works team hence did not bother with an announcement.
According to the official F1-site http://www.formula1.com/teams_and_drivers/teams/6/ they will use Renault's powerunit.
But I don't know, if this is an assumption or already a given fact.

stefan_
stefan_

They couldn't have desiged or built the car up to this point without an engine, so they most probably will have the Renault but didn't mind making an official announcement.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mikeerfol

Juzh

This team is going downhill fast lately. Even if they somehow survive 2014 I doubt very much they'll be around for 2015, unless something major happens.

kooleracer
kooleracer

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112041
http://www.lotusf1team.com/back-to-scho ... ml?lang=en

Lotus will miss the first test. I think Lotus is in more trouble then we think. Still no official confirmation about the powerunit supplier. Maybe they are not able to attend the test because they haven't struck a deal with Renault yet, or that they are in talks with another supplier. I don't think that Caterham or Marussia will even let the first testing opportunity past this year. LotusF1 will be on the backfoot because the first test is not about performance but reliability. There is no reason to miss the first test in 2014. I think Pastor is scratching his head now about the choice he made.
Last edited by kooleracer on 06 Jan 2014, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Holm86 wrote:
stefan_ wrote:And come back with Honda, as there were rumours that they want only a 1-year deal with Renault just to get on the Honda boat next year.

But then again, sitting on year would be impossible because there are ongoing sponsorship contracts that cannot be postponed and without that money someone should just pump money into the emploeyees' salaries for 1 year without getting anything in exchange.
I thought McLaren had an exclusive deal with Honda for 2015. So they are the only team that could run Honda engines that year.
it could be their 'exclusive deal' is that they get 'exclusive rights' and 'benefits' other teams don't. who knows.
i've read that jean todt in the eye of 'balance' has advised to contract more teams, and at that notion both sauber and lotus were mentioned, which was back in june 2013 i believe.

Obviously Honda has been promotoing a lot with mclaren. that doesn't say that there will not be other teams having a honda in the back in 2015, but it's more likely it'll be 2016 when Honda will find it's way into other teams. Sauber supposedly has a multi-year deal with Ferrari signed, and IIRC so does Lotus with Renault. So it's likely that, apart from mclaren, Honda won't supply other teams before 2016.

However since there's the 'push' for a new team entry in 2015 in the vacant HRT gridspot, a new team might opt for Honda power. It would keep Mclaren calm, and expand Honda's experience and possibilities, and they'd get paid for the engines [mclaren supposedly will get the Honda engines for free, like they got their Merc's for free, before].
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Blackout

Lopez and Boullier said several times that Lotus will continue with Renault and that they are negotiating a similar contract to the one Renault has with RBR...

Lotus Formula 1 team CEO Patrick Louis steps down
By Jonathan Noble Monday, January 6th 2014, 17:00 GMT

Lotus F1 2013

Lotus has undergone a management reshuffle, with its CEO Patrick Louis stepping aside from his day-to-day role with the team.

Louis was brought into Lotus at the start of 2010 when current owners Genii Capital bought the team from French car manufacturer Renault. He was originally COO but moved up to the CEO role in 2012.

The Frenchman worked alongside team principal Eric Boullier to help get Lotus back to winning ways and tried to secure its financial future amid recent difficulties.

But before the start of the 2014 campaign, AUTOSPORT has learned that Louis has elected to step down as CEO to take up a position with the Genii Automotive brand. He will retain a position on the Lotus team board, however.

Stepping into the CEO role is Matthew Carter. He is understood to be an ally of minority shareholder Andrew Ruhan, the property investor who got involved with Lotus at the start of last year.

Lotus had hoped to secure a major deal with investors Quantum Motorsports at the end of 2013, but the deal was not completed.

With that deal failing to come off, Lotus signed Pastor Maldonado and his PDVSA backers for 2014, rather than opt for Nico Hulkenberg, who had been in advanced talks with the outfit.
Last edited by Blackout on 06 Jan 2014, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

kooleracer wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112041

Lotus will miss the first test. I think Lotus is in more trouble then we think. Still no official confirmation about the powerunit supplier. Maybe they are not able to attend the test because they haven't struck a deal with Renault yet, or that they are in talks with another supplier. I don't think that Caterham or Marussia will even let the first testing opportunity past this year. LotusF1 will be on the backfoot because the first test is not about performance but reliability. There is no reason to miss the first test in 2014. I think Pastor is scratching his head now about the choice he made.
I don't think this is a cause for concern, really. First of all, if anybody would be blunt about something, it's Pastor. He seemed eager to attack Williams without keeping a lid on his mouth, and he's quite montoya-ish in his on-track and off-track character. So if there really would be something in the odds, i'm sure we would've read about some angry pissed off venezuelan hothead that feels betrayed. The fact none of this happened even after such long time of 'negative' publicity on Lotus makes me think it's more 'tabloid story' then that they're in dire trouble.

As for the personel moving, well it's happening everywhere, and fits with the new 2014 setting. such 'drastic' changes in format are a recipy for people coming and going. I'm sure the cashflow problems and money insecurity will definately not aid in 'happy members' but i don't think it should be blown out of proportion either, and i'm sure it has more to do with contracts than actual 'trouble'. it is, just newyear, and if i'm not mistaken, most contracts run from january to december.

wasn't redbull the one to miss a first test just aswell last year? or was it the year before? then it was prophecised they'd be in trouble too, didn't happen one bit though. Other people said that's a sign newey is just working as best as long as possible to have the best car, so why wouldn't we accept the same for lotus?

It'd be hilarious if Lotus would run 1st place immediately and it would be ferrari and redbull in trouble......fact is, nobody knows for a thing what is gonna happen.
Sauber's been tipped for having a very competetive car based upon what? exterior and first test results. All of that went up in smoke when the season got underway.

Let's just see coming 6 weeks what'll happen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

beelsebob
beelsebob

Wow, that's worrying. That really genuinely suggests that they do not yet have an engine supply deal sorted out. The implication to me from that is that they can not afford their last year's one and are trying to get a better one out of renault.

I have serious doubts they'll be on the grid.