2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems
mwillems
62
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

mclaren111 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:22 pm
mwillems wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:15 pm
mclaren111 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:10 pm



Until the latest reshuffle (+- two months ago) he was the de-facto Team Principal.

IIRC Tim Goss reported to EB. Thus his responsibility as far as I'm concerned.
He's still not a technical guy, and he still would have to trust what Goss reports and suggests. You either back your man or your man is gone, you can't second guess what he's telling you.

Maybe I am a bit biased.

Here are some sensible comments by EB:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13665 ... -in-canada
Hes reporting what we have been talking about. The suspension is rubbish and to work it needs more downforce.

I dont get the issue with this article.

techman
techman
-16
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:25 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

vandorne is quick driver. i would take him instead of brendon h and gasly any day. his race pace is very good just a tad bit slower to alonso.

towncaptain
towncaptain
0
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

techman wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:40 pm
vandorne is quick driver. i would take him instead of brendon h and gasly any day. his race pace is very good just a tad bit slower to alonso.
Yea... I wouldnt do that. Not even with Brendon

User avatar
diffuser
227
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

mclaren111 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:10 pm
M840TR wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:07 am
Bouillier is responsible for track-side operations not designing the car

Until the latest reshuffle (+- two months ago) he was the de-facto Team Principal.

IIRC Tim Goss reported to EB. Thus his responsibility as far as I'm concerned.
McLaren F1 website still hasn't been update. Goss is still there and EB is/was racing director.


https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/management/

The only time I heard of Eric being head of factory was for about 1 month during Josh Capito's tenure. Josh had said he wanted Eric to run the factory. That never materialized for obvious reasons.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect
150
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Apparently Mclaren aren't giving up on 2018, not sure about that, I feel they should commit to the 2019 project and hope they can finish top 6 this year.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems
mwillems
62
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Ground Effect wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:28 pm
Apparently Mclaren aren't giving up on 2018, not sure about that, I feel they should commit to the 2019 project and hope they can finish top 6 this year.
Unfortunstely they will most likely need to demonstrate to current and future sponsorstgat they are worth investing in.

Per
Per
50
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Delft, the Netherlands

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:46 pm
What I am hinting at is Alonso usually has a few tenths over his teammate, and Vandorne did 1:12.86, where is Alonso's 'missing speed'?

Are they indeed trying something with the set up, such as one stop, or has some artificial ceiling been placed on them?

Not suggesting Stoff is an inadequate driver, just considering what usually is and how close the times are.

It could be that both are just plain getting everything out of the car and thats as quick as it will go around, but Alonso usually squeezes a little more.
They gave both drivers identical cars for the first time this season.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect
150
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Per wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:11 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:46 pm
What I am hinting at is Alonso usually has a few tenths over his teammate, and Vandorne did 1:12.86, where is Alonso's 'missing speed'?

Are they indeed trying something with the set up, such as one stop, or has some artificial ceiling been placed on them?

Not suggesting Stoff is an inadequate driver, just considering what usually is and how close the times are.

It could be that both are just plain getting everything out of the car and thats as quick as it will go around, but Alonso usually squeezes a little more.
They gave both drivers identical cars for the first time this season.
First time this season? You're sure about that?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

User avatar
Big Tea
153
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Per wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:11 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:46 pm
What I am hinting at is Alonso usually has a few tenths over his teammate, and Vandorne did 1:12.86, where is Alonso's 'missing speed'?

Are they indeed trying something with the set up, such as one stop, or has some artificial ceiling been placed on them?

Not suggesting Stoff is an inadequate driver, just considering what usually is and how close the times are.

It could be that both are just plain getting everything out of the car and thats as quick as it will go around, but Alonso usually squeezes a little more.
They gave both drivers identical cars for the first time this season.
Possible, but what about when Alonso had other team mates in other cars? :D
We are standing on the shoulders of Giants. So don't kick.

User avatar
JonoNic
11
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post


Per wrote:
They gave both drivers identical cars for the first time this season.
Wow. What makes you say that?
Always find the gap then use it.

RonDennis
RonDennis
43
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Ground Effect wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:28 pm
Apparently Mclaren aren't giving up on 2018, not sure about that, I feel they should commit to the 2019 project and hope they can finish top 6 this year.
It would be dumb to fully focus on the 2019 car when you havent fixed your problems.

User avatar
Big Tea
153
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

RonDennis wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:54 pm
Ground Effect wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:28 pm
Apparently Mclaren aren't giving up on 2018, not sure about that, I feel they should commit to the 2019 project and hope they can finish top 6 this year.
It would be dumb to fully focus on the 2019 car when you havent fixed your problems.
Unless they are going a different route next year, most will be transferable anyway, so just as well test it this year.
We are standing on the shoulders of Giants. So don't kick.

Mansell89
Mansell89
37
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

It’s not a surprise with their pace this weekend. They’re rubbish on low speed corners and high speed straights as their car is draggy and lacks mechanical grip according to all of their sound bytes.

They’re just the wrong side of an insanely tightly packed midfield.

Places like Silverstone I think they’d reverse form.

They clearly need to make amendments to the car but would it take a change in their fundamentals to address something such as mechanical grip?

User avatar
Alonso Fan
45
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Omg look at that start! Outrageous

That's why mclaren need to sort out their qualifying ASAP

Starting in the midfield just leaves you vulnerable to these kind of incidents.
MVRC - SHM Racing

nirvaand
nirvaand
13
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:27 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Alonso looks to have strong race pace, it'll be interesting between him, Ocon and the Renaults towards the end of the race.

He would have been a lot closer to the Renaults currently if he had managed to get past Lelerc earlier.