2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 13:22
mwillems wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 13:15
mclaren111 wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 13:10

Until the latest reshuffle (+- two months ago) he was the de-facto Team Principal.

IIRC Tim Goss reported to EB. Thus his responsibility as far as I'm concerned.
He's still not a technical guy, and he still would have to trust what Goss reports and suggests. You either back your man or your man is gone, you can't second guess what he's telling you.

Maybe I am a bit biased.

Here are some sensible comments by EB:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13665 ... -in-canada
Hes reporting what we have been talking about. The suspension is rubbish and to work it needs more downforce.

I dont get the issue with this article.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

techman

vandorne is quick driver. i would take him instead of brendon h and gasly any day. his race pace is very good just a tad bit slower to alonso.

towncaptain

techman wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 16:40
vandorne is quick driver. i would take him instead of brendon h and gasly any day. his race pace is very good just a tad bit slower to alonso.
Yea... I wouldnt do that. Not even with Brendon

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 13:10
M840TR wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 12:07
Bouillier is responsible for track-side operations not designing the car

Until the latest reshuffle (+- two months ago) he was the de-facto Team Principal.

IIRC Tim Goss reported to EB. Thus his responsibility as far as I'm concerned.
McLaren F1 website still hasn't been update. Goss is still there and EB is/was racing director.

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/management/

The only time I heard of Eric being head of factory was for about 1 month during Josh Capito's tenure. Josh had said he wanted Eric to run the factory. That never materialized for obvious reasons.

Ground Effect

Apparently Mclaren aren't giving up on 2018, not sure about that, I feel they should commit to the 2019 project and hope they can finish top 6 this year.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 17:28
Apparently Mclaren aren't giving up on 2018, not sure about that, I feel they should commit to the 2019 project and hope they can finish top 6 this year.
Unfortunstely they will most likely need to demonstrate to current and future sponsorstgat they are worth investing in.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Per
Per

Big Tea wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 15:46
What I am hinting at is Alonso usually has a few tenths over his teammate, and Vandorne did 1:12.86, where is Alonso's 'missing speed'?

Are they indeed trying something with the set up, such as one stop, or has some artificial ceiling been placed on them?

Not suggesting Stoff is an inadequate driver, just considering what usually is and how close the times are.

It could be that both are just plain getting everything out of the car and thats as quick as it will go around, but Alonso usually squeezes a little more.
They gave both drivers identical cars for the first time this season.

Ground Effect

Per wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 18:11
Big Tea wrote:
What I am hinting at is Alonso usually has a few tenths over his teammate, and Vandorne did 1:12.86, where is Alonso's 'missing speed'?

Are they indeed trying something with the set up, such as one stop, or has some artificial ceiling been placed on them?

Not suggesting Stoff is an inadequate driver, just considering what usually is and how close the times are.

It could be that both are just plain getting everything out of the car and thats as quick as it will go around, but Alonso usually squeezes a little more.
First time this season? You're sure about that?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Per wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 18:11
Big Tea wrote:

Possible, but what about when Alonso had other team mates in other cars? :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JonoNic

Per wrote:
Wow. What makes you say that?
Always find the gap then use it.

RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
It would be dumb to fully focus on the 2019 car when you havent fixed your problems.

Big Tea

RonDennis wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 18:54
Ground Effect wrote:
It would be dumb to fully focus on the 2019 car when you havent fixed your problems.
Unless they are going a different route next year, most will be transferable anyway, so just as well test it this year.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mansell89

It’s not a surprise with their pace this weekend. They’re rubbish on low speed corners and high speed straights as their car is draggy and lacks mechanical grip according to all of their sound bytes.

They’re just the wrong side of an insanely tightly packed midfield.

Places like Silverstone I think they’d reverse form.

They clearly need to make amendments to the car but would it take a change in their fundamentals to address something such as mechanical grip?

Alonso Fan

Omg look at that start! Outrageous

That's why mclaren need to sort out their qualifying ASAP

Starting in the midfield just leaves you vulnerable to these kind of incidents.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

nirvaand

Alonso looks to have strong race pace, it'll be interesting between him, Ocon and the Renaults towards the end of the race.

He would have been a lot closer to the Renaults currently if he had managed to get past Lelerc earlier.