2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR
M840TR

Re: 2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

Big Tea wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 21:31
M840TR wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 21:19
Big Tea wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 21:13

Don't force the point :D
So much cringe.
Sorry :oops:
No I meant the name. They'll also find it hard to market it.

Sevach
Sevach

If they go through all the trouble of forfeiting their points why keep the Force India moniker?

Also...
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stro ... 95/?nrt=54

Here he comes.

subcritical71

Sevach wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 21:59
If they go through all the trouble of forfeiting their points why keep the Force India moniker?

Also...
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/stro ... 95/?nrt=54

Here he comes.
hmmm... read the link and Lance answers 'no' to the question whether he's discussed the takeover with his father. Then lists all the things his father has done before deciding to buy. Almost as if he HAS talked to him about it. :roll:

jjn9128

Sevach wrote:
It's to do with the chassis designation - the chassis name has to be in the team title and vice versa. Because they're technically a new entry who bought their cars from the defunct Force India team, and because the chassis' homologation is fixed until the end of the year - they have to keep Force India bit in the name. How that works out with the customer car rule (because technically this new entry purchased cars from another manufacturer even though it's the same staff and factory designing and building it) is another anomaly of this whole situation but I think the letter of the law has been bent by the FIA and Liberty Media to save the team and staff.

I also don't know if they're required to pay a new entry fee to the FIA as a new team... but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I'm looking forward to trying to explain this to my parents when they ask about it ](*,)
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jolle
Jolle

jjn9128 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 22:22
Sevach wrote:
It's to do with the chassis designation - the chassis name has to be in the team title and vice versa. Because they're technically a new entry who bought their cars from the defunct Force India team, and because the chassis' homologation is fixed until the end of the year - they have to keep Force India bit in the name. How that works out with the customer car rule (because technically this new entry purchased cars from another manufacturer even though it's the same staff and factory designing and building it) is another anomaly of this whole situation but I think the letter of the law has been bent by the FIA and Liberty Media to save the team and staff.

I also don't know if they're required to pay a new entry fee to the FIA as a new team... but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I'm looking forward to trying to explain this to my parents when they ask about it ](*,)
To more accurate, not the chassis designation but the manufacturer/designer name. Else Mercedes would have a bit of trouble with their W designations. There are enough loopholes (think Super Aguri with Arrow chassis or HAAS with their Dalara build and designed chassis).

bill shoe
bill shoe

I don't know how this will work out over the weekend. If it doesn't work out then you'd have to say the current would-be bailout people (Stroll et al) jumped the gun, took a risk by buying physical stuff but not the actual legal entry, and got it wrong.

So at what point does GPT split this thread into two: one thread for the cars and equipment of the former FI, and a second thread for the FI entry? :wtf: :lol: :D

bill shoe
bill shoe

More serious question- FI is apparently racing old FI assets/equipment as a new team with a new entry that has been granted by the FIA. Does this mean they start from zero in terms of constructors payout from FOM? If I was Williams or a similar "struggling-but-responsible-enough-to-not-be-insolvent" mid-field team, that's what I'd want to know.

That seems the fundamental question in terms of whether getting FI was a good buy.

EDIT- As usual Joe Saward has the best info on Formula One's legal/political/financial matters-
https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00293

subcritical71

M840TR wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 21:37
Big Tea wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 21:31
M840TR wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 21:19

So much cringe.
Sorry :oops:
No I meant the name. They'll also find it hard to market it.
The 80’s kid in me almost wished the team formally known as Force India would change its name to a symbol! :D

ScrewCaptain27

jjn9128 wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 22:22
Sevach wrote:

They don’t count as customer cars in this case as they were previously used by a team that is officially no longer competing. That is allowed by the rules.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Espresso
Espresso

And somehow 13 Indian Banks also bite the dust. They claimed the racing license hoping to harvest more money out of the racing license.
Now they've got a racing license, some debts and nothing else.

They didn't expect the Stroll consortium would just cut loose all the rubbish and look forward to the future.
Cutting loose any 'rubbish' with a clean start, great strategy..... should give this team some renewed energy.
Hope they keep it up, they've earned their stripes.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1NAC

It seems that they will keep their engine allocation numbers even as a new team
Otmar Szafnauer says he has no idea why, as a new entrant, Racing Point Force India don’t get a new engine allocation. They’ve lost their points because they had to start a new entry, so doesn’t understand why if everything from the past has gone, engine usage remains.

Zynerji

F1NAC wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 14:18
Otmar Szafnauer says he has no idea why, as a new entrant, Racing Point Force India don’t get a new engine allocation. They’ve lost their points because they had to start a new entry, so doesn’t understand why if everything from the past has gone, engine usage remains.
I think if they lose all points, and are a new "team", the engine count should start over. Id lodge a complaint, as you can't determine one way, but restrict another.

jjn9128

Jolle wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 23:44
To more accurate, not the chassis designation but the manufacturer/designer name. Else Mercedes would have a bit of trouble with their W designations. There are enough loopholes (think Super Aguri with Arrow chassis or HAAS with their Dalara build and designed chassis).
Well the W0..., FW... and VJM... are internal designations, as far as the FIA are concerned a Mercedes is a Mercedes, so when you read the FIA entry list it says "team - Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Limited", "chassis - Mercedes", "engine - Mercedes".

Super Aguri were ahead of the listed parts ruling, Toro Rosso also ran with Newey car's around the same time. While Dallara build the chassis for Haas, the IP is and always was Haas', even if the stress calculations are performed at Dallara. In this case the IP has transferred in the sale of assets from 1 entity to another... so as far as listed parts go Force India is technically a 3rd party manufacturer for Point Racing Force India... even though it's the same design office as far as the FIA are concerned it's a new team.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

multisync
multisync

Zynerji wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 14:23
F1NAC wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 14:18
I think if they lose all points, and are a new "team", the engine count should start over. Id lodge a complaint, as you can't determine one way, but restrict another.
given the amount of rule bending and arm twisting been going on, its best they shut up and concentrate on the race weekend..
It could also be part of an appeasement package to the other teams particularly those with merc engines who objected to them remaining in F1