2018 Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
marmer
marmer

Re: 2018 Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

Sevach wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 01:28
Manoah2u wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 23:19
Further indicating that Wehrlein is just as useless and surely why he'll be without a seat come 2018 season.
It's a good thing Mercedes didn't put him in Nico's seat, that would have been an absolute disgrace.
At this point Red Bull would have cut Wehrlein and gone for the next in line, with Ocon now firmly the first option and Russell getting closer i wonder how long Pascal has before getting booted.
if he does't get the Williams seat he is gone for good

JonoNic

For those in the know of Sauber aero or who have inside knowledge of these things.

What could be quickly optimised on the 2017 Sauber chassis, to make it closer to the front of the mid pack for next season? Can a new aero concept be built in the winter only?

I really can't see Alfa Romeo wanting their name running at the back of the field for a whole season. Well, maybe they would be ok with the first half of it.

Were there any interesting new guys appointed by this team in the last few months?
Last edited by JonoNic on 03 Dec 2017, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Always find the gap then use it.

ripper
ripper

If i remember correctly they signed Luca Furbatto as Technical Director and former Mercedes engineer Ian Wright as its new head of vehicle performance in July

nokivasara
nokivasara

Squid wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 23:42
nokivasara wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 23:25
makecry wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 22:49

His gap to WEH in Quali is second lowest amongst all the teammates. Only Kvyat and Sainz were closer than them.

0.040% was their median gap. For reference, Palmar and Hulk were >0.9% ie their gap was 22.5 times bigger.
They were close for sure, but in interviews Ericsson often says that he's not comfortable with the car and that they were making some changes before quali. Also in quali they are often very late with a good lap, I don't know if he needs those laps to build up speed or what, but there is no margin for error.
We'll see in 2018 but I don't think he is as useless as some people say he is.
Come on, it's gonna be his 5th year in F1. Before that, he's had 4 years in GP2 where his best championship finishing position was 6th, on his last season before F1 I might add. Even Palmer won the damn thing after 4 years.

If there was anything that Ericsson could prove, he would and should have done it by now.
He is just a late bloomer, that's all :mrgreen:

I wish that Sauber gets their race strategies sorted, they have made some strange desicions that have put them even further behind in some races. I think that this Alfa Romeo partnership will be very good for the team, the midfield battles will be something special next year!

OneAlex

Sniffit wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 19:00
As far as I understood it, he got information from an outside source (read Mercedes) about how to work the tyres optimally. But he did not share this with the team, it was revealed after the summer when Sauber finally caught on why he always wanted to know exact tyre temperatures and kept adjusting his driving to get up/down but never letting the team know why or how. Seemingly to get an advantage over Ericsson.
Are there any sources/articles on this? I tried googling it and couldn't find anything, and hadn't heard about it previously. Seems like it would have been quite a big thing that would have been picked up by F1 commentators.

Sniffit

OneAlex wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 16:50
Sniffit wrote:
As far as I understood it, he got information from an outside source (read Mercedes) about how to work the tyres optimally. But he did not share this with the team, it was revealed after the summer when Sauber finally caught on why he always wanted to know exact tyre temperatures and kept adjusting his driving to get up/down but never letting the team know why or how. Seemingly to get an advantage over Ericsson.
Are there any sources/articles on this? I tried googling it and couldn't find anything, and hadn't heard about it previously. Seems like it would have been quite a big thing that would have been picked up by F1 commentators.
It was reported by the Swedish F1 commentators (who suck, but have good connections within Sauber) so I've got no link, sorry.

Hail22

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 press conference (please note that 90% of this is in Italian so make sure to put CC in English :) ):

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

everythingisawesome
everythingisawesome

Fantastic news for the sport! If I was HAAS I'd be worried..

JonoNic

Haas unwittingly helped Ferrari by showing them how to start a team that runs midfield from their first season. My guess is that this team will beat Haas next season too.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Fowks
Fowks

marmer wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 14:20
Keeping Marcus is a good move for one year. Yes he is average at best but they didn't want Pascal with his Merc links. They didn't want another rookie. That makes the list small to pick from.

Nasr didn't leave on the best of terms and has been away from F1 same for Gutierrez
Pastor is worse than Marcus and has less money now.
Palmer could have been picked but no proof he is better than Marcus.

Massa would have been a nice choice but he seems to want to quit now and would he have wanted to drive a car at the back anyway
Massa returning again to F1 and finishing his career in his debut team... a fairy tale...

skoop
skoop

Sniffit wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 19:46
OneAlex wrote:
Sniffit wrote:
It was reported by the Swedish F1 commentators (who suck, but have good connections within Sauber) so I've got no link, sorry.
I wonder if this is some of the behaviour that led to Force India rejecting him and chosing Ocon instead.

dren

Sauber has serious issues if the team doesn't know what temperature range to operate the tires in.
Honda!

IamLegend
IamLegend

skoop wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 17:43
Sniffit wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 19:46
OneAlex wrote:

I wonder if this is some of the behaviour that led to Force India rejecting him and chosing Ocon instead.
Adding to the attitude problem mentioned above, couldn't it be because he's backed by Mercedes and with Sauber running the 2018 Ferrari PUs, they didn't want Merc to get the info (revisit spygate) somehow and so he was canned.

cramr
cramr

Manoah2u wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 15:37

also if im right, hinwil now has alfa romeo added

https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... museum.jpg
This is not Hinwil, This is the Alfa Romeo Museum

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

cramr wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 22:23
Manoah2u wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 15:37

also if im right, hinwil now has alfa romeo added

https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... museum.jpg
This is not Hinwil, This is the Alfa Romeo Museum
thanks, i wasn't at all sure but assumed it was and that the red 'tube' was part of hinwil's windtunnel lol #-o
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"