2018 Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2018 Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

Restomaniac wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 09:02
Although it's great that another team has a solid base. I can't help but think that it's just with the link to Ferrari and using their engines it's another team to just jump out of their way like a scalded cat when a red car appears.

Before anyone asks I know Ferrari was sold off but the link still exsists to Fiat IMHO.
I don’t think it’s a matter of opinion - Sergio Marchionne, President of Ferrari and CEO Fiat/Chrysler, was the architect of bringing Alfa back.

AFAIR Ferrari was set up as a separate entity (in NL) and floated - not sold off.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

f1316 wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 09:32
Restomaniac wrote:
Although it's great that another team has a solid base. I can't help but think that it's just with the link to Ferrari and using their engines it's another team to just jump out of their way like a scalded cat when a red car appears.

Before anyone asks I know Ferrari was sold off but the link still exsists to Fiat IMHO.
I don’t think it’s a matter of opinion - Sergio Marchionne, President of Ferrari and CEO Fiat/Chrysler, was the architect of bringing Alfa back.

AFAIR Ferrari was set up as a separate entity (in NL) and floated - not sold off.
Sorry yes maybe I should have said spun off and not sold off. Just lazyness on my part.

I think we agree though that Alfa will just jump out of the way.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Restomaniac wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 11:03
f1316 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Sorry yes maybe I should have said spun off and not sold off. Just lazyness on my part.

so essentially, toro rosso to RedBull. which has given like zero problems except one incident in over a decade where a frustrated alguersuari didn't want to move for the 'big boy' over at RB and bigmouthed the hand that feeds him - marko, which got him sacked.

nothing new too because i vividly remember Sauber years ago with Ferrari power when Alonso was there and heading out to win a GP and wasn't it Perez who had to move aside for him or he would actually have won in the Sauber? or am i not remembering things right here?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

nokivasara
nokivasara

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 13:22
Restomaniac wrote:
f1316 wrote:

so essentially, toro rosso to RedBull. which has given like zero problems except one incident in over a decade where a frustrated alguersuari didn't want to move for the 'big boy' over at RB and bigmouthed the hand that feeds him - marko, which got him sacked.

nothing new too because i vividly remember Sauber years ago with Ferrari power when Alonso was there and heading out to win a GP and wasn't it Perez who had to move aside for him or he would actually have won in the Sauber? or am i not remembering things right here?
I agree, as far as I recall the Saubers never made it too hard for a Ferrari to pass. That was a while ago, but I considered Sauber almost like a junior team to Ferrari back then. But I may be wrong...

f1316
f1316

I think you’re not quite remembering things right - Perez was catching Alonso and then made a mistake when he got there.

There’s always been suggestions that Sauber jumped out of Ferrari’s way - go back to Monza 2003 for example - but only when being lapped, which is the most likely scenario anyway, and they’re supposed to jump out the way anyway.

Likewise we see certain former Ferrari drivers jumping out the way for everyone but current Ferrari drivers when being lapped, so there are always swings and roundabouts.

nokivasara
nokivasara

That's probably how it was, but sometimes lapped cars can make it easier or more difficult for the lapping car to pass.
Anyway, this is good for Sauber!

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 13:22
Restomaniac wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Oh don't get me wrong I agree and I have mentioned this before.
STR-RB
Sauber,Hass-Ferrari
Far to many easy passes which detracts from the racing hugely.

To give Mercedes and their customer teams credit then generally make the Mercedes factory cars have to actually pass them.

However Sauber have gone from a customer team to team with direct attachment to Ferrari (Alfa/FCA/Ferrari).

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

It's an improvement for Sauber either way. Chances are that there's going to be conflict with Longbow over the contracted drivers, even though there's always to possibility Ericsson will be ditched still. I hope so, he's one of the most useless drivers in the field and that includes in f1 history imho. The decision shouldn't be too hard next year i think since Ericsson is going to keep Alfa's results down and that will cost them points, prize money and image. I am afraid he's going to be around in the 2018 season anyway, but i rather think 2019 will see him gone.

I'm 100% sure Ferrari / FIAT / the investors want AlfaRomeo Sauber F1 Team to compete solid in the midfield, preferably to the front. That means they will have to beat Toro Rosso, Williams, Force India, Haas, and PERHAPS Mclaren/Renault If they haven't managed to get back to the top 5 which i think is not plausible, so bar the last 2 they're gonna have to get to work.

You can't expect them to be competitive in 2018 even though they'll step from a 2016-spec Ferrari engine to an updated and fully supported 2018 Ferrari powerplant that will surely be the same as the mothership's team AND probably get a good batch of Ferrari parts like Haas does. So oddly enough, they might even make a decent jump. I have no idea what they're doing with the Chassis, i don't know whether they've been developing a new chassis for 2018. If they have, then that might be a shame, if they haven't, then Ferrari comes in handy again.

But then there's still the issue of the drivers keeping the results down. Look at Toro Rosso. RB-backed, sister-team, still guaranteed sharing of a good load of information, a current-year spec engine (even though the renault has been unreliable), yet they've dropped down significantly compared to when Sainz and Verstappen were both part of the team. Now, their final 'top' driver Sainz is gone, and they'll have to make do with Gasly and Hartley. I think that's going to be the weakest combination for 2018.

for 2018, LeClerc is guaranteed and despite being a rookie, is a very talented and promising driver. I don't know if he's comparable to Jules Bianchi (gawd i still feel sad for the immense loss there) but he's by far better than Hartley and Gasly, and i think he could be up there to the likes of for example Ocon in talent. Unfortunately, there's still that burden in the form of Ericsson. Where palmer was just as bad and as competitive and having the same character as a haystack, Ericsson is like a usefull as a paper towel in the rain and wind.

It's not like he's that financially usefull, it's not like HE brings Longbow into Sauber, it's rather the other way around. And Longbow would make more money with a more talented driver than Ericsson anyway.

I wouldn't know who to pick though, Giovanazzi i think is not the way to go, but perhaps Alfa Romeo would like to not only see a Ferrari driver, but an Italian there too. I just think he's not a step up, so i hope not. Wehrlein? I never was impressed to be honest but even then he has only been absolutely disappointing. I also hugely doubt he'll get that seat due to him being a Mercedes protegé and the team will become Ferrari B-team. Since Leclerc is a rookie i am expecting them to need an experienced driver so i guess that means for 2018 will keep Ericsson as however you put it, he's been there for a while now and can give feedback based upon experience. Even if he sucks. Unless Kobayashi can show his skills and talent, but i think that's wishfull thinking.

It would be a happy year if i'd get to see both Kubica AND Kobayashi make a comeback in F1 in a single season.
Now all that's left is Alonso fighting for the win against Verstappen, Hamilton and Vettel and 2018 is going to be amazing.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Kalsi
Kalsi

Fresh news and possible official livery!

Drivers: Charles Leclerc - Marcus Ericsson

http://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/02-12- ... resh_ce-cp

gandharva

Marchionne: "I'm happy to announce that the team has decided to choose Leclerc with Ericsson for the 2018 Formula 1 season"

jjn9128

I think the criticism of Ericsson is a bit harsh. The Sauber was clearly overweight at the beginning of the season, when Wehrlein had the edge, just due to being smaller. Once the leadership changed, and some extra money came in, the main improvements was reducing the weight of the car, and the gap between the drivers converged. It was actually fairly even between them in qualifying and races from mid-season. For me, Wehrlein was one of the most underwhelming drivers of the season, along with Grosjean, Kvyat and Palmer.

Yes, Giovinazzi may be quicker, but he's binned a lot of cars this year 2x in China in the Sauber plus a few crashes in practice sessions and testing in the Haas. For a team in Sauber's position repair bills have to be a consideration.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Kalsi wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 13:24
Fresh news and possible official livery!

Drivers: Charles Leclerc - Marcus Ericsson

http://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/02-12- ... resh_ce-cp

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/metho ... 1712021213

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/metho ... 1712021213
thanks, surely that'll be the livery yes, looks very good.
supremely disappointed with Ericsson staying, but not like it wasn't to be expected.

marmer
marmer

Keeping Marcus is a good move for one year. Yes he is average at best but they didn't want Pascal with his Merc links. They didn't want another rookie. That makes the list small to pick from.

Nasr didn't leave on the best of terms and has been away from F1 same for Gutierrez
Pastor is worse than Marcus and has less money now.
Palmer could have been picked but no proof he is better than Marcus.

Massa would have been a nice choice but he seems to want to quit now and would he have wanted to drive a car at the back anyway

Sevach
Sevach

Ericsson's backers are a resilient bunch, the total opposite of Red Bull perform or get cut mentality.

I like the concept livery.

Shrieker

Bwahahaha. Kick the only driver to have scored points for them. And he did it not once, but twice in that sh!tbox. Yes his performance was less than expected, but still.
Last edited by Shrieker on 02 Dec 2017, 17:23, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk