2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marti_EF3

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

The only one who was trying to race was Verstappen. Everyone else were doing trains, being conservative, etc... A shame, but at least RB and Max tried to do something. And good race for Gasly too, fast lap and ending P5, good points for the team and a bit closer to Ferrari on WCC

Sieper

Gasly was put on a big gap until Leclerc binned it. Max was stuck behind Lewis on shredded yellows and Gasly was in free air on almost new red tires, that allowed him to come back.

etusch

I didn't like the race because of that 5 sec penalty.

bosyber
bosyber

etusch wrote:
26 May 2019, 19:08
Yeah, though for the race it was probably good Red Bull/Max didn't get an appropriate penalty (probably a drive-through), it was completely too lenient, right, that can't be good.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Did anybody notice how smooth Hamilton exited the corner into the tunnel? Verstappen was wrestling more and you could hear the engine hessitating, while Hamilton was dissapearing into the tunnel.

damager21
damager21

bosyber wrote:
26 May 2019, 19:22
etusch wrote:
26 May 2019, 19:08
Yeah, though for the race it was probably good Red Bull/Max didn't get an appropriate penalty (probably a drive-through), it was completely too lenient, right, that can't be good.
While I agree that it seemed too lenient, I think there are multiple factors one need to consider
1. It was next to impossible for mechanics to know the exact position of Bottas while releasing - its a very busy and narrow pit lane
2. Bottas got 2 advantage
A. He backed off big time to ensure there is sufficient time for his pit crew to prepare once Lewis was released
B. His garage was first in queue which meant he could easily slot in while Max had to swirl in between his and Ferraris pit crew. Some advantage again for Bottas
3. If Red Bull had not released Max, he would have lost to Vettel as well because Bottas initially backed off big time bringing them in touching distance of each other

ispano6

Capharol wrote:
26 May 2019, 17:30
ispano6 wrote:
26 May 2019, 17:22
Red Bull should have left Max out to take the lead instead of pitting with the leaders, that was the one chance to get ahead of Hamilton.
no because he would have been picked up by the SC before he could end the lap, which gave the other cars the chance aswell to come back close behind VER, and if he would have pitted then that would have put him down behind Kubica
Ok, if there wasn't a chance to get in front of the safety car, then that was the race right there with that first exchange of pitstops.

At least Red Bull made up some ground on Ferrari and Toro Rosso made a good leap in the midfield as well. Even Martin Brundle is saying Honda has got their act together.

McMika98
McMika98

damager21 wrote:
26 May 2019, 17:33
ispano6 wrote:
Red Bull should have left Max out to take the lead instead of pitting with the leaders, that was the one chance to get ahead of Hamilton.
On the contrary, I feel they should have pitted him a lap before when there was uncertainty about Safety car. Max would have managed to under cut and come out ahead of Lewis. Even if Lewis did not pit, Max would have closed the gap and piped Lewis whenever he pitted. Its all about position on this track as Lewis showed today
No way, the soft was at least few seconds quicker than other tyres. All practice sessions showed this. He should have stayed out which would have got him the jump and by 10 laps he would have 20 seconds gap to Hamilton who was slower than the Williams.

Sieper

Interesting thought. That might have worked actually. It surely would have saved him from getting screwed by Bottas piling everebody up before his pitstop.

Morteza

From racefans.com
Max Verstappen spent all of his second stint driving in his ‘start’ throttle map because he forgot to deactivate it after his pit stop.

The mode is used to optimise the car’s performance from a standing start at the beginning of the race or pit stops. Drivers usually switch back to a race mode when they return to the track.
“In the pit stop we forgot to go back on the torque map so I had my start map in it which was not ideal,” Verstappen explained.

“I had massive lag on the first couple – I can’t say the exact number – but quite a lot of percentage going on throttle. I had nothing, and then suddenly the power kicked in. It was not nice to drive. But I managed to drive around the problem.”

Verstappen forgot to deactivate his after his pit stop as he and the team were distracted by his collision with Valtteri Bottas in the pit lane.

“Normally I would go back on it but of course with the clutch and then looking in the mirror all the time, and the team was also a little bit shocked with the whole thing, they were also checking damaged. Normally they always remind me but anyway it’s always my job to still do it, but I also forgot with all the hectic scenarios.

Drivers cannot deactivate the mode once they are at racing speeds, and Verstappen didn’t return to the pits for the rest of the race.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

lio007

Morteza wrote:
26 May 2019, 21:50

Drivers cannot deactivate the mode once they are at racing speeds, and Verstappen didn’t return to the pits for the rest of the race.
What??? Why???
I don't understand why a throttle map can't be changed at race speed.

godlameroso

Another big test for Honda is coming up in the Canadian GP, because Mercedes will bring an updated power unit, as well. Ferrari should do well here because it's all long straights and not much turning at low speeds. It's mostly just lining up for the chicanes and carrying speed through the curbs. Exit traction is pretty similar for all the top teams so it will mostly come down to braking performance and top speed.

With the same compounds used in Monaco, the hard tire(C3) will likely be the better race tire, as the medium(C2) will likely have the same problems as in Monaco. The main issue would be front graining and rear blistering because this circuit punishes the rears quite heavily but the fronts don't do much.
Saishū kōnā

GhostF1
GhostF1

Benii6 wrote:
26 May 2019, 17:15
GhostF1 wrote:
26 May 2019, 17:12
Max deserved a win for that drive. Incredible racecraft!
What? Why did he deserve to win?
Because he was clearly the fastest on track? Monaco being Monaco, the same complaints any overtake is a risk (see Leclerc) and he couldn't get by without risking the entire race and also knowingly with that penalty. He kept constant pressure on Hamilton with no let up. For him to not even get a podium feels wrong. Vettel just sort of fell into 2nd.

JordanMugen

ispano6 wrote:
Ohhhh -- good thinking! A lost opportunity for a win, indeed. With your scenario, Max would have won easily. Shame.
McMika98 wrote:
26 May 2019, 20:32
No way, the soft was at least few seconds quicker than other tyres. All practice sessions showed this. He should have stayed out which would have got him the jump and by 10 laps he would have 20 seconds gap to Hamilton who was slower than the Williams.
Bingo!

aral
aral

A number of posts have been removed as they were about Merc, Hamilton etc. These had nothing to do with the topic of the thread. Please discuss tyre usage etc on the GP thread.