[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
adrianjordan
67
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 am
Location: West Yorkshire, England

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

ScottR267 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:15 pm
CjC wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:49 pm
It is.
Sorry, I should have phased it better. Estella Galicia is one on the sponsors on Mclarens partners page.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners/

Without wanting to start an argument but Sainz is basically a pay driver

Pay driver is a bit strong! Yes he comes with a sponsor and their money but doesn’t make him a pay driver. Would you say Lewis is a pay driver as he’s the reason Tommy Hilfiger are a sponsor of Mercedes....
Don't forget that other infamous pay driver Mclaren took on in the past.

Some Spanish guy who brought a small bank with him as well as 0.6 seconds of lap time.
Since I've ordered an electric car, does that mean I should start watching Formula E?

CjC
CjC
12
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Yea I would say he is if that’s the case.
I said that Sainz basically is a pay driver.
I don’t mean he’s a pay driver like it’s used as an insult to drivers.

Alonso was a pay driver, Sainz is, Hamilton is Schumacher snr was and Jnr is, Laura was, etc, etc.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing if a driver is good enough sponsors should be falling over themselves to sponsor them and I turn the team they drive for.

Don’t get me wrong by the way I’m a fan of Sainz but in black and white he brings money to the team and that money needs replenishing by someone when he moves to Ferrari
Just a fan's point of view

ESPImperium
ESPImperium
121
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Red Bull drivers, of witch Carlos came into F1 as, are encouraged to get one other sponsor to come with them. You could say that Max is a pay driver as he has Jumbo as his sponsor, Alex has brought Moose to Red Bull and Toro Rosso. Gasly and Daniel dont have a personal sponsor as far as i know. Some drivers dont have them, some do, its personal choice with them.

You could say Carlos was a pay driver, however that €8m that comes with is a bonus, have a look at what that has got them across STR, Renault and McLaren, STR had a large EG exposure, Renault had it just at the head rests, McLaren has been their best value as they have the rear wing end plate and headrests. The rate cards are very different.

EG may be on the Ferrari, however EG will have top pay Phillip Morris as they are Ferraris ad broker. They will probably give them a small exposure as Shell, UPS and Ray Ban all pay in excess of €25m for their element of the sidepods. €8m wont go too far, maybe a small logo on the headrest area, or on the wing mirror housings.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900
15
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

F1 and racing has always been a rich boys sport.

Hell, even Senna was a “pay” driver to a point. Lauda was, etc.

User avatar
Darth-Piekus
21
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:01 pm
Darth-Piekus wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:18 pm

It was Carlos mistake in any case... Been a fan doesn’t mean blaming everyone else


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Allow me to disagree. He was punted and we all know how easily these cars can spin with a simple nudge and at these speeds and I'm not saying that as a fan. I am saying what I saw. That is my honest opinion.
He was “punted”??? Carlos “drove” into Strolls front left, as a matter of fact, Stroll is ahead on the corner and Carlos spins.

There is nothing that I enjoy more than talking with other fans here, but dude, you make it really hard.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Carlos had the inside line and he seems to be able to turn but then Stroll touches him and makes him spin. Sainz himself mentions the contact that made him spin otherwise he would have been in front. That's his words.

mwillems
mwillems
33
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:08 pm
SmallSoldier wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:01 pm
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Allow me to disagree. He was punted and we all know how easily these cars can spin with a simple nudge and at these speeds and I'm not saying that as a fan. I am saying what I saw. That is my honest opinion.
He was “punted”??? Carlos “drove” into Strolls front left, as a matter of fact, Stroll is ahead on the corner and Carlos spins.

There is nothing that I enjoy more than talking with other fans here, but dude, you make it really hard.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Carlos had the inside line and he seems to be able to turn but then Stroll touches him and makes him spin. Sainz himself mentions the contact that made him spin otherwise he would have been in front. That's his words.
Carlos had space on the inside to work in, Stroll had no reason to give him extra space, and was entitled to hold his line and force Carlos to take a tighter line and slow down. That's called racing.

Stroll did nothing wrong, not did Carlos particularly, he lost a little grip and couldnt help but go towards Stroll.

It's a risk on Strolls part, because there is always the danger you may have an accident, but it paid off. Good racing from him.

User avatar
Darth-Piekus
21
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Stroll had the option to let him pass and try to get the inside line on the next right turn but he took a big gamble. He could have been the one to retire. That was pure luck there.

Emag
Emag
44
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Stroll would have overtaken Sainz anyway. And I am willing to bet Ricciardo and Albon would have overtaken him too. I mean still, him finishing P6 is better than not finishing at all, but Stroll didn't really do anything wrong intentionally. It is within his rights to try and defend the position around the outside. Sainz just went in too hot and understeered into him taking himself out, but it could have been Stroll too, or both of them. Just bad luck, not Stroll's fault.

User avatar
Darth-Piekus
21
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Would they have passed him? That is up for debate considering how good Sainz is with his tyres and how to defend. The thing is that Stroll did touch him and that was enough for Sainz to make him spin. Stroll took a big gamble and he was lucky he wasn't the one to spin since usually the one outside has the most chances to spin than the one inside.

User avatar
diffuser
194
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:19 pm
Would they have passed him? That is up for debate considering how good Sainz is with his tyres and how to defend. The thing is that Stroll did touch him and that was enough for Sainz to make him spin. Stroll took a big gamble and he was lucky he wasn't the one to spin since usually the one outside has the most chances to spin than the one inside.
We'll never know, no matter how much people think they know. Maybe if we can access a different reality where both Stroll and Saints don't collide!

User avatar
Mr Brooksy
50
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:47 pm
Location: Australia

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

ESPImperium wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:44 pm
Gasly and Daniel dont have a personal sponsor as far as i know.
Danny is sponsored by Australian online car sales website carsales.com.au
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

User avatar
Jackles-UK
34
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:02 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

The pay driver debate is getting so old now. Pretty much every F1 driver in history has been a “pay driver” in some way, shape or form; it costs well over £1m just to make it to F2 these days so of course there are sponsorship structures that help make that possible, whether that be a commercial arrangement (Schumacher, Maldonado, Hulkenberg etc.) or a personal arrangement (Rosberg, Stroll, Chilton etc.).

Lionel Messi & Cristiano Ronaldo bring enormous sponsorship opportunities with them for their respective club football teams that more than cover their wages, does that make them “pay footballers”? Michael Jordan was the most lucrative athlete on earth in the 90’s, did that make him a “pay basketball player”? Of course it didn’t, so why are F1 drivers looked upon unfavourably just because they have some financial backing from someone who believes in their talent?

RS200E
RS200E
7
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

Jackles-UK wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:02 am
The pay driver debate is getting so old now. Pretty much every F1 driver in history has been a “pay driver” in some way, shape or form; it costs well over £1m just to make it to F2 these days so of course there are sponsorship structures that help make that possible, whether that be a commercial arrangement (Schumacher, Maldonado, Hulkenberg etc.) or a personal arrangement (Rosberg, Stroll, Chilton etc.).

Lionel Messi & Cristiano Ronaldo bring enormous sponsorship opportunities with them for their respective club football teams that more than cover their wages, does that make them “pay footballers”? Michael Jordan was the most lucrative athlete on earth in the 90’s, did that make him a “pay basketball player”? Of course it didn’t, so why are F1 drivers looked upon unfavourably just because they have some financial backing from someone who believes in their talent?
The term pay driver is what people hang on to. Politicians, media etc use terms and slogans like this all the time and repeat them to brain wash the masses. You hear a term like this and think it explains everything then you don't look any further into it. Sports fans aren't the brightest so this one has stuck around for a long time.

User avatar
_cerber1
145
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

I wonder if you can get a new nose done in 2 weeks? Is it worth waiting for him in Sochi?

mwillems
mwillems
33
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Post

_cerber1 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:47 am
I wonder if you can get a new nose done in 2 weeks? Is it worth waiting for him in Sochi?
IIRC, I think that the way the team were talking, it will be much later than that, but maybe we will be surprised.

It seemed to be they were suggesting several races down the line.