[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

ScottR267 wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 17:15
CjC wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 15:49
It is.
Sorry, I should have phased it better. Estella Galicia is one on the sponsors on Mclarens partners page.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners/

Without wanting to start an argument but Sainz is basically a pay driver

Pay driver is a bit strong! Yes he comes with a sponsor and their money but doesn’t make him a pay driver. Would you say Lewis is a pay driver as he’s the reason Tommy Hilfiger are a sponsor of Mercedes....
Don't forget that other infamous pay driver Mclaren took on in the past.

Some Spanish guy who brought a small bank with him as well as 0.6 seconds of lap time.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

CjC
CjC

Yea I would say he is if that’s the case.
I said that Sainz basically is a pay driver.
I don’t mean he’s a pay driver like it’s used as an insult to drivers.

Alonso was a pay driver, Sainz is, Hamilton is Schumacher snr was and Jnr is, Laura was, etc, etc.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing if a driver is good enough sponsors should be falling over themselves to sponsor them and I turn the team they drive for.

Don’t get me wrong by the way I’m a fan of Sainz but in black and white he brings money to the team and that money needs replenishing by someone when he moves to Ferrari
Just a fan's point of view

ESPImperium

Red Bull drivers, of witch Carlos came into F1 as, are encouraged to get one other sponsor to come with them. You could say that Max is a pay driver as he has Jumbo as his sponsor, Alex has brought Moose to Red Bull and Toro Rosso. Gasly and Daniel dont have a personal sponsor as far as i know. Some drivers dont have them, some do, its personal choice with them.

You could say Carlos was a pay driver, however that €8m that comes with is a bonus, have a look at what that has got them across STR, Renault and McLaren, STR had a large EG exposure, Renault had it just at the head rests, McLaren has been their best value as they have the rear wing end plate and headrests. The rate cards are very different.

EG may be on the Ferrari, however EG will have top pay Phillip Morris as they are Ferraris ad broker. They will probably give them a small exposure as Shell, UPS and Ray Ban all pay in excess of €25m for their element of the sidepods. €8m wont go too far, maybe a small logo on the headrest area, or on the wing mirror housings.

Hoffman900

F1 and racing has always been a rich boys sport.

Hell, even Senna was a “pay” driver to a point. Lauda was, etc.

Darth-Piekus

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 17:01
Darth-Piekus wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 22:18

It was Carlos mistake in any case... Been a fan doesn’t mean blaming everyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Allow me to disagree. He was punted and we all know how easily these cars can spin with a simple nudge and at these speeds and I'm not saying that as a fan. I am saying what I saw. That is my honest opinion.
He was “punted”??? Carlos “drove” into Strolls front left, as a matter of fact, Stroll is ahead on the corner and Carlos spins.

There is nothing that I enjoy more than talking with other fans here, but dude, you make it really hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Carlos had the inside line and he seems to be able to turn but then Stroll touches him and makes him spin. Sainz himself mentions the contact that made him spin otherwise he would have been in front. That's his words.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 20:08
SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 17:01
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Allow me to disagree. He was punted and we all know how easily these cars can spin with a simple nudge and at these speeds and I'm not saying that as a fan. I am saying what I saw. That is my honest opinion.
He was “punted”??? Carlos “drove” into Strolls front left, as a matter of fact, Stroll is ahead on the corner and Carlos spins.

There is nothing that I enjoy more than talking with other fans here, but dude, you make it really hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Carlos had the inside line and he seems to be able to turn but then Stroll touches him and makes him spin. Sainz himself mentions the contact that made him spin otherwise he would have been in front. That's his words.
Carlos had space on the inside to work in, Stroll had no reason to give him extra space, and was entitled to hold his line and force Carlos to take a tighter line and slow down. That's called racing.

Stroll did nothing wrong, not did Carlos particularly, he lost a little grip and couldnt help but go towards Stroll.

It's a risk on Strolls part, because there is always the danger you may have an accident, but it paid off. Good racing from him.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

Stroll had the option to let him pass and try to get the inside line on the next right turn but he took a big gamble. He could have been the one to retire. That was pure luck there.

Emag

Stroll would have overtaken Sainz anyway. And I am willing to bet Ricciardo and Albon would have overtaken him too. I mean still, him finishing P6 is better than not finishing at all, but Stroll didn't really do anything wrong intentionally. It is within his rights to try and defend the position around the outside. Sainz just went in too hot and understeered into him taking himself out, but it could have been Stroll too, or both of them. Just bad luck, not Stroll's fault.

Darth-Piekus

Would they have passed him? That is up for debate considering how good Sainz is with his tyres and how to defend. The thing is that Stroll did touch him and that was enough for Sainz to make him spin. Stroll took a big gamble and he was lucky he wasn't the one to spin since usually the one outside has the most chances to spin than the one inside.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 17:19
Would they have passed him? That is up for debate considering how good Sainz is with his tyres and how to defend. The thing is that Stroll did touch him and that was enough for Sainz to make him spin. Stroll took a big gamble and he was lucky he wasn't the one to spin since usually the one outside has the most chances to spin than the one inside.
We'll never know, no matter how much people think they know. Maybe if we can access a different reality where both Stroll and Saints don't collide!

Mr Brooksy

ESPImperium wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 17:44
Gasly and Daniel dont have a personal sponsor as far as i know.
Danny is sponsored by Australian online car sales website carsales.com.au
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Jackles-UK

The pay driver debate is getting so old now. Pretty much every F1 driver in history has been a “pay driver” in some way, shape or form; it costs well over £1m just to make it to F2 these days so of course there are sponsorship structures that help make that possible, whether that be a commercial arrangement (Schumacher, Maldonado, Hulkenberg etc.) or a personal arrangement (Rosberg, Stroll, Chilton etc.).

Lionel Messi & Cristiano Ronaldo bring enormous sponsorship opportunities with them for their respective club football teams that more than cover their wages, does that make them “pay footballers”? Michael Jordan was the most lucrative athlete on earth in the 90’s, did that make him a “pay basketball player”? Of course it didn’t, so why are F1 drivers looked upon unfavourably just because they have some financial backing from someone who believes in their talent?

RS200E

Jackles-UK wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 01:02
The pay driver debate is getting so old now. Pretty much every F1 driver in history has been a “pay driver” in some way, shape or form; it costs well over £1m just to make it to F2 these days so of course there are sponsorship structures that help make that possible, whether that be a commercial arrangement (Schumacher, Maldonado, Hulkenberg etc.) or a personal arrangement (Rosberg, Stroll, Chilton etc.).

Lionel Messi & Cristiano Ronaldo bring enormous sponsorship opportunities with them for their respective club football teams that more than cover their wages, does that make them “pay footballers”? Michael Jordan was the most lucrative athlete on earth in the 90’s, did that make him a “pay basketball player”? Of course it didn’t, so why are F1 drivers looked upon unfavourably just because they have some financial backing from someone who believes in their talent?
The term pay driver is what people hang on to. Politicians, media etc use terms and slogans like this all the time and repeat them to brain wash the masses. You hear a term like this and think it explains everything then you don't look any further into it. Sports fans aren't the brightest so this one has stuck around for a long time.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

_cerber1

I wonder if you can get a new nose done in 2 weeks? Is it worth waiting for him in Sochi?

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 09:47
I wonder if you can get a new nose done in 2 weeks? Is it worth waiting for him in Sochi?
IIRC, I think that the way the team were talking, it will be much later than that, but maybe we will be surprised.

It seemed to be they were suggesting several races down the line.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.