[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

I'm not saying it's relatively better than the RB15, i'm concidering that the RB16 is dealing with issues that very likely the RB15 had not, and concidering the sensitivity to aero and balance, this could actually make the car that harder to drive and unlock it's potential. I'm also simply stating that if you look at where the RB 'naturally' is on the grid, apart from technical failures, then they're close to the Merc, and a 'while' ahead of the rest.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

JordanMugen wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 13:08
Manoah2u wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 11:14
Well it was personal to my driving style i think, i just went full blazing, thought i was hitting the apex correctly, and going as close as i could to the corners. for me, i got some tips in hitting the brakes less, letting go of the gas pedal just a tiny bit earlier, instead of 'throwing' in the steering wheel gently start, then throw, then gently aim again. i noticed after a few laps of practicing that i had much less slide towards the barriers and speed went up significantly, causing more grip.
Interesting!

Those are the opposite to the tips that most novices, who aren't aggressive enough, receive from driving coaches.
Perhaps i was just way too agressive :lol:
I agree also that in my own conclusions, that i have heared and read before 'engaging' in karting (still for fun),
i actually kept that in mind, so perhaps, again, i was just way too hard on the kart. I freely admit that i did get the kart to slide around, hit barriers, and hit the brakes pretty hard, let's just say i drove with no mercy.
Again, the moment i ever so slightly released the pedal INSTEAD of countersteering, AND releasing the pedal instead of SLAMMING the brakes immediately, driving felt completely different which is why i had to adapt, but i lost less speed, slid less from side to side, and laptimes went up pretty remarkable. Also, I tended to not put in my belt as tight as i could so i had more freedom of moving in the seat to adjust the centre of weight, let's in an exxegeration call it driving like on a motorbike in the corners. I still did move, but let's say with a bit more restriction. whether it helped, not sure, but i applied all, and the end result worked.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

godlameroso

JordanMugen wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 13:12
Manoah2u wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 11:43
As for RedBull, interestingly, i think the car is indeed very very good.
:?: How did you come up with that conclusion? Most of the time, the RB16 shows no improvement on RB15 laptimes (vs AlphaTauri with average 1sec/lap improvement), which tends to suggest it isn't all that good at all, heck it tends to suggest the RB16 is not even close to operating correctly (assuming it has higher theoretical potential than the RB15, because why would RB design a radically different car with a more powerful power unit and then find no improvement!?)...

I think Red Bull outsmarted themselves by implementing some overly complex behaviours (in terms of ride height changes, aero map etc) which they cannot setup properly at the track...
RB16 has consistently been half a second faster in race pace and now .3 to. 4 faster than its predecessor in qualifying.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

Race pace of Sochi GP

Sector Pace

Stint 1

Stint 2

Stint 3

Sieper

Very interesting. So 3 tenths on Bottas. I think both used the same of their tires. That would mean in the ball park of 5 tenths on Hamilton I think. Let’s see how this compares on a track that suits RBR better. Like we did incredibly unfortunately not see in Mugello. Hurts.

yener

godlameroso wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 12:16

At a certain speed range the aero stalls during weight transfer. They have improved the situation throughout the year, but the Mercedes looks like its on rails. The grip levels are much more consistent and the power unit is better than the Honda.
=D> Finally someone who gets it. On the straights that rear wing is bending / moving extremly, which makes high and medium speed corners tricky.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Lock2nl
Lock2nl

Godlameroso did not mention high speed corners to be an issue of the rb16.
In fact, he mentions low to medium speed corner entry only. So, attacking the corners...

Personally, I see more issues than just the entry. In fact, I think the entry spins are a side effect of a different issue with the RB16. One of the explanations for his entry spins is the line of entry he is taking. He tries to avoid a sharp turn in because of a lack of traction at the rear end, particularly when going on the throttle around mid corner. These alternative lines coincide with a bit less rubber on the track when at the same time he needs to reduce speed more heavily to compensate for breaking a bit later.

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 19:42
Sieper wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 19:28
Let’s see. This season is lost, but if they can now close the gap maybe next year we finally see Max battle for WDC. Words I feared not to be able to write down not that long ago.
It's still a tall ask, Mercedes always seems to be a step ahead of RB. If RB had started the season with this car as it is now vs season start Mercedes, and we had a normal calendar things would have been different.

Next season is a big question mark because it's obvious we're losing downforce and clawing some back through chassis development. These modifications seem to cost RB more than Mercedes. The only hope is that Honda will pull through with a substantial improvement, which is entirely possible given the lack of in season upgrades.

RB chassis is very close to Mercedes in Verstappen's hands, the power unit is still a bit behind and that is the gap we are seeing now. Unfortunate because we won't see Honda close that gap until next year if at all.

However there's a ray of hope if the info in the Honda engine thread about "K-plating" means Honda can make very strong cylinder walls compared to previously, then with a year of development, I'm sure Honda can make a substantial improvement.
I never did get how they're gonna global reduce DF by the same percentage, evenly, over all cars.

etusch

diffuser wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 02:31

I never did get how they're gonna global reduce DF by the same percentage, evenly, over all cars.
For sure they don't aim that.

qatmix

Not good news. Honda to leave F1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54383259

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

welcome back to renault

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

qatmix wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 10:18
Not good news. Honda to leave F1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54383259
They have a history of doing it, redbull could build a brilliant car in 2022 and go and win with another engine... Brawn GP style..

Redbull have 2 choices now, either Renault and be prepared to grovel a lot.. or build their own engine... im thinking they will try to buddy up with Cosworth or Iilmor.. but Max will leave.. he wont be part of a long term project...

I cant see merc given them an engine- unless its old spec, and who wants a ferrari..

Oh dear oh dear, Horner might be choking on his sugar puffs this morning...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

The decisions of the suppliers are out of RBs control, but relationships have been soured and Horner et al are contributors. He should get some heat for the poopshow that’s about to ensue.

VER has to be considering an exit plan, no? 2022 is now quite difficult, there’s a reasonable chance RB moves backwards.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

too much talk caused RB this situation.

1. we will create new record with Max with youngest F1 champ with Honda
2. lots of negative talk on Renault engine
3. RB burnt the bridge with Renault

and now they don't have any choice. They have to go to Renault.

Wouter

Honda's demand to stay in F1 was that they could fight for the championship.
And what does RBR do ??? They develop the worst car since years before 2020 !!! Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Very sad for Max, who could have become champion this year if RB had developed a good car. #-o #-o #-o
The Power of Dreams!