[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Let’s see. This season is lost, but if they can now close the gap maybe next year we finally see Max battle for WDC. Words I feared not to be able to write down not that long ago.

godlameroso

Sieper wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 19:28
Let’s see. This season is lost, but if they can now close the gap maybe next year we finally see Max battle for WDC. Words I feared not to be able to write down not that long ago.
It's still a tall ask, Mercedes always seems to be a step ahead of RB. If RB had started the season with this car as it is now vs season start Mercedes, and we had a normal calendar things would have been different.

Next season is a big question mark because it's obvious we're losing downforce and clawing some back through chassis development. These modifications seem to cost RB more than Mercedes. The only hope is that Honda will pull through with a substantial improvement, which is entirely possible given the lack of in season upgrades.

RB chassis is very close to Mercedes in Verstappen's hands, the power unit is still a bit behind and that is the gap we are seeing now. Unfortunate because we won't see Honda close that gap until next year if at all.

However there's a ray of hope if the info in the Honda engine thread about "K-plating" means Honda can make very strong cylinder walls compared to previously, then with a year of development, I'm sure Honda can make a substantial improvement.
Saishū kōnā

Sieper

Agreed. I also expect Hamilton to be 8 times WDC after next year. But still, RBR is closing in. Did Wazari not also hint that a combustion improvement was planned but deemed to risky and as the spec was frozen now also impossible during the year. A big disadvantage but let’s hope indeed that Honda can be eve stronger next year.

Big Tea

Sayeman wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:05
McMika98 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 09:48
when infact I've been a Honda fan lifelong.
No you are not. You will get downvoted even more if you keep doing this.
I think he is collecting downvotes, going for the high score :mrgreen:
He wold not like an up vote
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

Sieper wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:01
Agreed. I also expect Hamilton to be 8 times WDC after next year. But still, RBR is closing in. Did Wazari not also hint that a combustion improvement was planned but deemed to risky and as the spec was frozen now also impossible during the year. A big disadvantage but let’s hope indeed that Honda can be eve stronger next year.
Probably the combustion improvement was part compression ratio bump, and some other modifications to accommodate that. They didn't want to introduce what they wanted to because this was the first time using the new "K-Plating" so they played it safe in order to meet the reliability requirements.

With a year of development, seeing how far they can push the power unit with the new cylinder walls in terms of compression ratio, and piston rings, the piston themselves. If this cylinder wall plating offers structural advantages they can also improve the architecture of the block which will improve chassis performance as well.
Saishū kōnā

TNTHead

Quite a decent result, and flawless reliability. Preliminary conclusion: Honda/RB did come on top of the 'gremlins', which is a very good thing.

Again the start was not flawless (some wheel spin). I wonder this may be induced by the fixed race mode (remembering the bad starts last year due to torque delivery), although dirty side and medium tyres also could be the cause.

VER mentioned on post race interview at Dutch TV that on mediumtyres he had entry oversteer problems, with reducing DF on the pit stop they managed that.

It was a good result but not one moment VER was able to put pressure on Merc so not a real change. Hopefully next races suit the car better and ALB can be much closer.

Wouter

Standings top 3.

1. L. Hamilton 205

2. V. Bottas 161

3. M. Verstappen 128

ODD!

Difference between ... Hamilton - Bottas = #44
Difference between ... Bottas - Max = #33

#44 + #33 = #77 #-o :D

Excellently driven, a well deserved second place !!

Last edited by Wouter on 27 Sep 2020, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Sieper wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:01
They say they froze development but then they make rule changes to reduce downforce because of tyre life. That is ---. Teams will try to gain it as soon as possible then what will happen with the tyres ? (There is a joke here; there is a man in a village named donkey. His wife insist him to change his name, all village residents have a meeting and change his name as colt. He return home happily and says his wife we changed my name. Colt. Wife says; you will be donkey again after some time )
In this condition tyres are the ones needs to be changed to be able to handle with these cars. Whatever. This means there can be an opportunity to make some change on the car.
I hope Honda and Redbull will bring a package able to compete mercedes at every race of next season. I wish we can see ham vs vers and albon vs bottas every race .

mem

can't see Albon retain that seat , stayed behind Kimi for ages same old same old.

TNTHead

Wouter wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:53
Standings top 3.

1. L. Hamilton 205

2. V. Bottas 161

3. M. Verstappen 128

ODD!

Difference between ... Hamilton - Bottas = #44
Difference between ... Bottas - Max = #33

#44 + #33 = #77 #-o :D

Excellently driven, a well deserved second place !!

https://scontent-ams4-1.cdninstagram.co ... e=5F9A91DA

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ei7POd1X0AE ... name=large
Nice find. Bottas for WDC :)

Sieper

Big Tea wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:06
Sayeman wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:05
McMika98 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 09:48
when infact I've been a Honda fan lifelong.
No you are not. You will get downvoted even more if you keep doing this.
I think he is collecting downvotes, going for the high score :mrgreen:
He wold not like an up vote
Haha, that could very well be the case! :D

Sieper

TNTHead wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:20
Quite a decent result, and flawless reliability. Preliminary conclusion: Honda/RB did come on top of the 'gremlins', which is a very good thing.

Again the start was not flawless (some wheel spin). I wonder this may be induced by the fixed race mode (remembering the bad starts last year due to torque delivery), although dirty side and medium tyres also could be the cause.

VER mentioned on post race interview at Dutch TV that on mediumtyres he had entry oversteer problems, with reducing DF on the pit stop they managed that.

It was a good result but not one moment VER was able to put pressure on Merc so not a real change. Hopefully next races suit the car better and ALB can be much closer.
That is true, right hand side was a bad side to start from. F2 had it too. Just too dusty. Springfield. And indeed yellow tires compound that. But as you say, no gremlins, power was there just fine. We will never know but Max expected to be thereabout at Mugello and also thinks there will be more races to come where that could be the case. He usually is not over optimistic.

TNTHead

Sieper wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 21:51
TNTHead wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:20

That is true, right hand side was a bad side to start from. F2 had it too. Just too dusty. Springfield. And indeed yellow tires compound that. But as you say, no gremlins, power was there just fine. We will never know but Max expected to be thereabout at Mugello and also thinks there will be more races to come where that could be the case. He usually is not over optimistic.
But then his mega qualifying lap didnt bring him much as P3 is apparently a better place to start from: not on the dirty side + a good tow to T2. Bit dull race afterwards start colissions btw.

Sieper

On some circuits one side of the track is a disadvantage to start from. Half of the people get that and but for pole (that is usually on the good side of the track) it indeed is a crap shoot on who sits right or left.

Racer X

Does Redbull truly build identical cars?

Or is the difference between Max and Albon in skill truly that great?

It's so sad to see him struggle to pass a Williams I don't care how good George is. He shouldn't struggle against a Williams in a Redbull.

I just don't understand how Albon is so slow...
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ