2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Really strong weekend from the team. Lando very consistent and Ricciardo looking like he’s getting there - a major step up I felt. Bit of his confidence and fight really came back.

Ferrari were superb- not what we expected at this circuit - I wonder if the more robust tyres may have cured their issues in chewing them.

They should be very fast in Hungary but we should see McLaren quicker in Monza and Zandvoort. Spa I think they’ll go well at.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Nivedanm wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:30
Leclerc drove well. But to say Ferrari had the upper hand is misleading. If that is the case, Daniel could not have held a charging Carlos behind. Leclerc qualified well and he was good with the start in sprint qualifying. In sprint qualifying, McLaren drivers could have gone wheel to wheel with Leclerc, provided both of them had not got stuck behind a fast-starting, brilliant Alonso. By the time they got ahead of Alonso, Leclerc was far ahead. Today, things could have been different too without the first lap incident. Leclerc spent too much time in free air, and the Mercs had to protect the tyres on high fuel load. Had Hamilton overtook Leclerc in the first two laps, Lando could have done something to fight him. Without those opportunities, there is no way to compare the performance of those cars on a level playing field.
I don’t agree… Ferrari was definitely faster than Mclaren… During the second stint both Lando and Charles were in “free air” and Lando’s lap times were behind Leclerc’s… As a matter of fact, Lando’s times against Leclerc after his pitstop (and Leclerc in 25+ laps on his Mediums) were still comparable or slower.

The fact that Sainz couldn’t overtake Daniel isn’t a sign of similar pace, simply put, at Silverstone with the current cars, one thing is to catch the driver ahead and the other to make the overtake… Not much different to what happened with Daniel, who after his PitStop rejoin the track behind Gasly and with a very superior car (this weekend at least) and with fresh tires (Gasly hadn’t pitted at that point in the race), couldn’t make the overtake and was stuck for several laps and losing time against Sainz in very old Mediums).

Ferrari had more pace today, not enough for Carlos to overtake Daniel (who actually did a fantastic job defending, without many mistakes)… But Leclerc’s pace against Norris was very telling.

adrianjordan

How far this team has come that we're disappointed with 4th and 5th!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:54
I have to underline this. It is not (or should not be) all about 'We are great, everyone else sucks'.
Back your driver or team, but realise that if the others were not there, you would not have a race.
You misunderstand me my friend. Leclerc drove a fantastic race and Ferrari performed better today. However that doesn't change the fact that Leclerc had a lot of luck to get that 1st place at the start and the same thing would have happened if Lando was 1st using a similar incident. Both cars are still not able to be 1st place cars on merit. As I said before I would like to see a race between Mclaren and Ferrari on equal terms to see which is better.

Can't say that Monaco was badluck for Ferrari. They took an unneeded risk knowing what that would do. Still in the end the standings speak for themselves.
I was not intending to be specific to you sorry, I mean in general. We only have racing because there is someone to race against, and so often you see the others being demonised and even hated.
Some think it is war, but we know it is far more important than that :evil:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE
the EDGE

I wonder how much Ferrari have stressed Leclerc’s PU in trying to win today

I can’t say I blame them, but that’s got to be a small bonus for McLaren because their going to have to his electric power element down for the rest of its cycle now to compensate

Big Tea

the EDGE wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:25

I can’t say I blame them, but that’s got to be a small bonus for McLaren because their going to have to his electric power element down for the rest of its cycle now to compensate
If they can get this performance by stressing the engine, to me its a no brainer to do it every race and take the penalty with a new engine and do it again
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:49
the EDGE wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 20:25

If they can get this performance by stressing the engine, to me its a no brainer to do it every race and take the penalty with a new engine and do it again
Absolutely… Penalties in the “right GP’s” also minimize the impact of those… While maximizing points elsewhere… Would make a lot of sense

bauc

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:49
I fully agree, tables have turned indeed in our favor.
I truly believe we can win at Monza on merit [-o<

WE WILL WIN AGAIN!
Mclaren!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Emag
Emag

bauc wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:38
adrianjordan wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:49
I fully agree, tables have turned indeed in our favor.
I truly believe we can win at Monza on merit [-o<

WE WILL WIN AGAIN!
Mclaren!
I am remaining cautious. The higher the expectations, the bigger the disappointment in case of a negative result.

On the other hand, when you don't expect anything great, like in Monaco for me personally, you enjoy a good result way more.

Darth-Piekus

Personally I am having expectations for 2022 as the reset is a great opportunity to get the rules right, exploit some loopholes and get in front and everyone will be with the same budget. There is a chance however we might screw this up and be like Williams having to chase for the next 4 years. Still Zak Brown has built a fantastic technical and sponsor team and the newest innovative simulator will be completed. The similarities to 1997 and 1998 are too many to ignore.

BMMR61

It’s clear that Ferrari were a few tenths quicker than McLaren today - more than the difference on Friday. This means the Ferraris used both sets of tyres better but it remains a close battle with them - not just the points. With the Pirellis it really will be swinging back and forth now for the rest of the season, unless one team makes a big discovery of the round black variety. Charles got everything out of himself and the car today except the slightly weak defence on Lewis at Copse, surprising given how feisty he is as a driver usually. Wasn’t the wheel to wheel thing I would normally expect but maybe he was plain intimidated by how Lewis played it today. To be fair he probably suffered a lot of tyre deg just as Lewis caught him, with having to clear backmarkers.

We should feel pretty satisfied today. No major damage done to points position indeed we are on track for 350+ WCC points and hopefully 3rd. The pitstop delay wasn’t serious just frustrating and has been an area we have improved on. Daniel raced well albeit without Lando pace and defended P5 very effectively. Silverstone would not have been a track I would have picked for a star result so 22 points is excellent. After Hungary are Imola and Spa which have good prospects for a competitive showing.

Overall we are closer to target (Mercedes and RedBull) now than we probably expected in February. We have three podiums on merit, no special circumstances. We are close enough to take advantage of any such circumstances and convert to wins at tracks like Monza, or even win on merit. We have effectively halved the gap, and nest up to nearly double our points haul, and that is no mean feat.

MrGapes

Sorry If this has been mentioned already, but Lando now holds the record for the most consecutive points finishes as a McLaren driver.

mwillems

I think we are in a situation where the tyres can magnify the strengths of the cars and offer a disproportionate reward for those that can get them in the best working margin a little bit more.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Jambier

I really hope that this race is the turning point for RIC.
McLaren needs a RIC on top, confident and fast, the normal RIC.

Because battle will be tough with Ferrari. This is by the way so pleasant to have those two legendary teams back to a more decent level.

Of course now, there is the need of a classical McLaren VS Ferrari for 2022 title 8)

univex
univex

Unfortunately watching the timing throughout the race, my countryman RIC was still significantly off the pace compared to Lando. Struggled to get within half a second of Lando throughout.