2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

On the contrary. I do acknowledge Ferrari did great and Leclerc drove a fantastic race but it is a fact that they had a lot of luck getting in 1st place. Neither Mclaren nor Ferrari are 1st place cars.

Hungary next which it might be like Monaco. Lando is again 3rd in the championship with a car clearly behind Red Bull and Mercedes. Most impressive.

ScottR267
ScottR267

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:15
Darth-Piekus wrote:Bravo to Lewis. The natural order has been restored. No way Leclerc should have that 1st place due to sheer luck. On another note very good race from both drivers and especially from Daniel for holding Sainz. Unlucky about the pit stop blunder as Lando has all the capability to hold Bottas. Still we only lost 3 points to Ferrari and that brings the difference to 16. Where is the next race?
Why always the salty comments? Leclerc drove a great race… He took advantage of the incident in the first lap and managed to keep Lewis behind all of the first stint… They had a faster car today… Been a McLaren fan doesn’t mean not been gracious and acknowledging when the rivals do great.

Luck has also played in McLaren’s favor and it will play a role through the season… Just as we we were unlucky with Lando’s PitStop, we were lucky with Sainz… Who would have came in front of Daniel and probably pressured Lando if not for his issues also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He’s the same every week- very boring isn’t it!

Couldn’t agree with your comments more, Lando was unlucky but we lucked into Sainz’s stop being double the time of Lando’s which ultimately massively helped the team collect as many points as they did today!

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:22
On the contrary. I do acknowledge Ferrari did great and Leclerc drove a fantastic race but it is a fact that they had a lot of luck getting in 1st place. Neither Mclaren nor Ferrari are 1st place cars.

Hungary next which it might be like Monaco. Lando is again 3rd in the championship with a car clearly behind Red Bull and Mercedes. Most impressive.
Do we not get good luck too? Should only e
Mclaren get good luck?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

ScottR267 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:29
SmallSoldier wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:Bravo to Lewis. The natural order has been restored. No way Leclerc should have that 1st place due to sheer luck. On another note very good race from both drivers and especially from Daniel for holding Sainz. Unlucky about the pit stop blunder as Lando has all the capability to hold Bottas. Still we only lost 3 points to Ferrari and that brings the difference to 16. Where is the next race?
Why always the salty comments? Leclerc drove a great race… He took advantage of the incident in the first lap and managed to keep Lewis behind all of the first stint… They had a faster car today… Been a McLaren fan doesn’t mean not been gracious and acknowledging when the rivals do great.

Luck has also played in McLaren’s favor and it will play a role through the season… Just as we we were unlucky with Lando’s PitStop, we were lucky with Sainz… Who would have came in front of Daniel and probably pressured Lando if not for his issues also.

He’s the same every week- very boring isn’t it!

Couldn’t agree with your comments more, Lando was unlucky but we lucked into Sainz’s stop being double the time of Lando’s which ultimately massively helped the team collect as many points as they did today!
I think he has a valid opinion and I welcome his refreshing views.

* This post is in no way influenced by any previous comments from mods.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:31
Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:22

Do we not get good luck too? Should only e
Mclaren get good luck?
Of course we also get good luck but in my opinion Ferrari had a little bit more luck this season. This is my personal opinion and people are free to disagree. Personally I would prefer a race where both teams duke it out equally and see who's the best.

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:

I have to underline this. It is not (or should not be) all about 'We are great, everyone else sucks'.
Back your driver or team, but realise that if the others were not there, you would not have a race.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Emag
Emag

I actually think Ferrari has been quite unlucky this season. They lost out on a victory in Monaco, which would have probably gained them about 30 points on McLaren. Plus, they have definitely had some minor issues over the season, especially on Carlos's side.

Either way, with Ricciardo not getting the maximum out of the car, I feel like any luck advantage towards Ferrari is "drained out" by McLaren not being at 100% as a team. So even if they have had a little bit more bad luck, I feel like the standings show the real picture with all things considered.

Herr_Koos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:06
Still we only lost 3 points to Ferrari and that brings the difference to 16. Where is the next race?
We lost 4 points, the gap is now 15.

Darth-Piekus

I have to underline this. It is not (or should not be) all about 'We are great, everyone else sucks'.
Back your driver or team, but realise that if the others were not there, you would not have a race.
You misunderstand me my friend. Leclerc drove a fantastic race and Ferrari performed better today. However that doesn't change the fact that Leclerc had a lot of luck to get that 1st place at the start and the same thing would have happened if Lando was 1st using a similar incident. Both cars are still not able to be 1st place cars on merit. As I said before I would like to see a race between Mclaren and Ferrari on equal terms to see which is better.

Can't say that Monaco was badluck for Ferrari. They took an unneeded risk knowing what that would do. Still in the end the standings speak for themselves.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:54
You misunderstand me my friend. Leclerc drove a fantastic race and Ferrari performed better today. However that doesn't change the fact that Leclerc had a lot of luck to get that 1st place at the start and the same thing would have happened if Lando was 1st using a similar incident. Both cars are still not able to be 1st place cars on merit. As I said before I would like to see a race between Mclaren and Ferrari on equal terms to see which is better.

Can't say that Monaco was badluck for Ferrari. They took an unneeded risk knowing what that would do. Still in the end the standings speak for themselves.
This is a question I don't really need an answer to. Ferrari has definitely been the faster car on average. But they have had tire issues all year, and in most cases, haven't been able to keep their pace up for long. On races like Spain and today, where their tires held up, they have been blisteringly quick.

haza
haza

How do we fair out at the next 3 races Monza should be our best shot at a top result going off last year but how will Spa and Zandvort pan out for us

Emag
Emag

Belgium should be decent. Zandvoort seems like has a lot of high speed corners, so it shouldn't be too bad.

But honestly, don't really know what to expect. We have been fast on races we did not expect to be fast (e.g. Monaco), and the opposite has happened too (e.g. Baku).
Let's just wait and see.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Emag wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:13
Belgium should be decent. Zandvoort seems like has a lot of high speed corners, so it shouldn't be too bad.

But honestly, don't really know what to expect. We have been fast on races we did not expect to be fast (e.g. Monaco), and the opposite has happened too (e.g. Baku).
Let's just wait and see.
It’s not just McLaren… Ferrari seem unreadable at the moment too

I have no idea where their pace came from this weekend, on a track I thought they’ed struggle with. Clearly they have solved their high speed front end weakness

Great job from Dan holding off a clearly faster Carlos, it really is Game On & every points going to count

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

Leclerc drove well. But to say Ferrari had the upper hand is misleading. If that is the case, Daniel could not have held a charging Carlos behind. Leclerc qualified well and he was good with the start in sprint qualifying. In sprint qualifying, McLaren drivers could have gone wheel to wheel with Leclerc, provided both of them had not got stuck behind a fast-starting, brilliant Alonso. By the time they got ahead of Alonso, Leclerc was far ahead. Today, things could have been different too without the first lap incident. Leclerc spent too much time in free air, and the Mercs had to protect the tyres on high fuel load. Had Hamilton overtook Leclerc in the first two laps, Lando could have done something to fight him. Without those opportunities, there is no way to compare the performance of those cars on a level playing field.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

haza wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:07
How do we fair out at the next 3 races Monza should be our best shot at a top result going off last year but how will Spa and Zandvort pan out for us
I believe everyone is a bit excited for Monza given the straight line speed of the MCL35M… I’m actually very optimistic about Spa, could be a great track for the team.

The thing is that the weather is playing a very important role at each race weekend… Most of the setup of the cars isn’t driven by “car performance”, but is geared towards the tires, which are the deciding factor for pace it seems… And the tires act very different for different cars given the weather (the trend so far is that lower temperatures seem to agree more with the MCL35M and warmer temperatures seem to help more the Ferraris)… This is due to how each car generates energy for the tires to be in the right window… It would seem to me that the Ferrari’s struggle a bit to create that energy and therefore in warmer conditions they can keep the tires in the right operating window with more ease, while the MCL35M energizes the tires faster / harder, therefore very good when it’s cold, but in warmer weather they can end up overheating the tires and therefore having to compromise pace in order to not destroy them over an stint.

So, from a car perspective I would expect Spa to be a good weekend for McLaren, let’s hope the weather also plays a positive role for the team.