Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
anthonyfa18

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

From 3:10 to 3:32 you will see verstappen over take on vettel, after the over take u hear on radio
Good job Mate, Mode 6

i wounder what mode 6 is ???

Sieper

a snickers bar is released from a secret pocket right hand side of the monocoque.

Juzh

anthonyfa18 wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 18:38
mode 6 is a lesser mode compared to mode 7 (probably the highest race mode available) that he used to overtake vettel.

Hino

Juzh wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 19:06
anthonyfa18 wrote:
mode 6 is a lesser mode compared to mode 7 (probably the highest race mode available) that he used to overtake vettel.
There was a mode 8 that VER switched to after passing VET from his onboard.

NL_Fer

Bandit1216 wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 11:11
Maybe covered before, but what is the cooler on the backbone of the engine?
Do you mean the air intake tube to the compressor? It is a split turbo system, turbine is on the backside. The big tube on top is to cool that turbine.

Or are u talking about that metal cooler on top? Maybe MGU-H cooler?

Bandit1216

NL_Fer wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 08:43
Bandit1216 wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 11:11
Maybe covered before, but what is the cooler on the backbone of the engine?
Do you mean the air intake tube to the compressor? It is a split turbo system, turbine is on the backside. The big tube on top is to cool that turbine.

Or are u talking about that metal cooler on top? Maybe MGU-H cooler?
Yes, the cooler on top of the top pipe. Perhaps it's just one of the water coolers? I guess the air in the top pipe is fed to that cooler and after that, after being heated a bit, it cools the turbine with cool but not very cool air?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

HPD

“When we’re developing a Mobil 1 lubricant, we will send Honda five or six variations of the engine oil for testing. Each one has a slightly different chemistry. What we are looking for is how the engine reacts to the changes in the chemistry. You want to find which is the best performing from a durability and efficiency standpoint. Then you go another step, producing six variations of that one to push the envelope a bit further.”

“The quicker we can get the data, the more incremental steps you can make. That’s what the major difference is from before. So at the end of last year, going into this year, we tested 36 variations of lubricants and 40 different fuel variations. Before, we only achieved a fraction of that because it took too long for Renault to carry out the tests and feed the data back.”

“They’re super committed to getting things done and getting it done right. So much collaborative work has taken place already. We have worked very closely with them on our fuels and lubricants. The data feedback we get is exactly what we need to make decisions from.”

“They have been very open and very quick in running tests and getting the data back to us. In some cases, the single cylinder tests are running continuously with new fuel tests. If we send them a batch of products to test, they will get back to us very quickly. It’s incredible.”

https://formulaspy.com/formula-1/red-bu ... long-60281

Zynerji

This alone justifies leaving Renault for Honda.

henry

Hino wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 03:20
Juzh wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 19:06
anthonyfa18 wrote:
There was a mode 8 that VER switched to after passing VET from his onboard.
https://streamable.com/g6z80
From the engineer’s comment after the advice to go to mode 8 it tops up the battery.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

carisi2k

Zynerji wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 18:33
Agreed and also why I don't understand why they just didn't bite the bullet and move to honda in 2018. Rb14 would still have won the same races in 2018 with a Honda engine and might have even been better for red bull.

Sieper

carisi2k wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 00:36
Zynerji wrote:
Agreed and also why I don't understand why they just didn't bite the bullet and move to honda in 2018. Rb14 would still have won the same races in 2018 with a Honda engine and might have even been better for red bull.
I think Honda didn't want that. Now they could "silently" develop during that year, if they would have had any issues in a RBR the outside watch would have had them. Also now the first race they could not afford any issues. Now that a first podium is won, now that a first Renault MGU-K went up in flames, now that preseason testing is over and went (from an engine viewpoint) trouble free, maybe now they will start to move closer to the edge of performance vs reliability.

etusch

carisi2k wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 00:36
Zynerji wrote:
From point of data, they got it by Toro Rosso. From point of money and manpower they saved it for this year. And I think Honda was not ready to establish two teams who will work with the team for team's operations. It is not just saying here your engine job as you know.

Alexf1

Contract expired after 2018. Would have cost some money to end it 1 yr early I can imagine

Hino

Telemetry comparison between top qualifiers in Australia.

https://unendinginsight.wordpress.com/2 ... -analysis/

Immediately evident is the strong straightline speeds by the Red Bull with it’s new Honda PU, a sign that Honda has made some good progress. However, it’s likely that the Red Bull was running less downforce to help with this straightline speed as it is much slower in the high speed T11-12/T15, and may also explain why Verstappen brakes earlier than Hamilton multiple times. The RPM of the Honda PU is also significantly and quite consistently lower than that of the Mercedes PU so Honda still appears to have a good amount of work to do.

Unlike the Ferrari, and perhaps with less downforce, the Red Bull doesn’t need to brake for T4 and T14, though it is difficult to determine whether this is driver style or car characteristic dependent. Relative to Mercedes the Red Bull remains close in slow corners and perhaps gets closer even near the end of the lap, possibly a sign that it keeps its tyres in good condition throughout the lap.

gruntguru

Hino wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 04:35
. . . The RPM of the Honda PU is also significantly and quite consistently lower than that of the Mercedes PU so Honda still appears to have a good amount of work to do. . . .
I would not agree that lower rpm is indicative of an inferior PU. The Honda seems to be staying above 10,500 in the full power sections of the course and the most sensible design strategy is to aim for constant power output from 10,500 up.
je suis charlie