Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
OviJohn
OviJohn
28
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:21 am

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

Side by side comparison pics in this article:

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2015/10 ... -alla.html


To me, it looks even more compact than with the log type.

User avatar
Andres125sx
357
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

rowano wrote:And that's the sound of a hand bag slap, hair being pulled and a threat to gouge eyes. This really is getting boring people.
Downvoted and reported.

I don´t like people claiming I´ve said things I never said and don´t think that deserve this irrespectul post

Nickel
Nickel
18
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:10 pm
Location: London Mountain, BC

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

Andres125sx wrote: Downvoted and reported.

I don´t like people claiming I´ve said things I never said and don´t think that deserve this irrespectul post
FYI, that chain between you and drunkf1fan was horrible to read. You're both arguing semantics of who said what and if this project is living up to xyz expectations. It was long winded and full of right-fighting, since you brought it up.

Back on topic; did Honda change anything else other than the exhaust manifold for Russia/USA?

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
480
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

Notice the thermocouples? (The light blue wires) those are bigger than your standard laboratory ones! I think they are measuring the temperature of the part of the head directly beside the upturned exhaust pipes.

The cable work is also untidy but I guess this is a testing year for them. Much scope for improvement on auxilliary packaging for next year.

Image
Not driving a Mercedes? Work harder!

User avatar
Andres125sx
357
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

Nickel wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: Downvoted and reported.

I don´t like people claiming I´ve said things I never said and don´t think that deserve this irrespectul post
FYI, that chain between you and drunkf1fan was horrible to read. You're both arguing semantics of who said what and if this project is living up to xyz expectations. It was long winded and full of right-fighting, since you brought it up.
I know, but there are good manners and irrespectul ones

User avatar
Abarth
54
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

Nickel wrote:[...]

Back on topic; did Honda change anything else other than the exhaust manifold for Russia/USA?
AFAIK they used all the 4 remaining tokens, 1 for the exhaust and 3 for combustion (again).

User avatar
Thunder
Moderator
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 am
Location: Germany

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

User avatar
proteus
58
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

The new exhaust manifold is very tight indeed, looking even a bit tighter than before, which worries me that both cars could retire due to overheating problems. They said the track will suit the car well, but the problem is that all this new improvements aint properly tested jet, so there exists danger for something to go wrong. I expect Mercedes to be very dominant this weekend, due to the new engines from Ferrari, Honda and Renault, which could be failing during the race.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

User avatar
godlameroso
432
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

The exhaust manifold hasn't been insulated yet, not on the outside anyway, I'm sure it has interior coating.
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

User avatar
ME4ME
173
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

proteus wrote:The new exhaust manifold is very tight indeed, looking even a bit tighter than before, which worries me that both cars could retire due to overheating problems.
This is the engine Alonso tried in free practice in Russia. They will have data on it already.
Besides, Button will use an old engine.

langwadt
langwadt
62
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:Notice the thermocouples? (The light blue wires) those are bigger than your standard laboratory ones! I think they are measuring the temperature of the part of the head directly beside the upturned exhaust pipes.
apart from the blue wire covering they don't look anything special tp me

wesley123
wesley123
231
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

godlameroso wrote:The exhaust manifold hasn't been insulated yet, not on the outside anyway, I'm sure it has interior coating.
The area around the exhaust on the engine block suggests that a form of insulation will be present but has yet to be mounted.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

User avatar
ringo
232
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

proteus wrote:The new exhaust manifold is very tight indeed, looking even a bit tighter than before, which worries me that both cars could retire due to overheating problems. They said the track will suit the car well, but the problem is that all this new improvements aint properly tested jet, so there exists danger for something to go wrong. I expect Mercedes to be very dominant this weekend, due to the new engines from Ferrari, Honda and Renault, which could be failing during the race.
It's only tighter in width. It actually has more volume than the log style. It's actually a slightly bigger blockage in the sidepods.

What Honda did here was push the volume against the cylinder heads; which are already hot surfaces, and try to keep the footprint as small as possible. what is bigger though is the frontal area.
I don't think they will have overheating problems here.
For Sure!!

GoranF1
GoranF1
177
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

i wonder how Honda's smaller turbo will cope whit this high altitude?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mexic ... territory/
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

User avatar
Andres125sx
357
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Honda Power Unit

Post

Not many coments about the new PU Alonso used in Austin, I guess the rain didn´t help to compare how much was the real improvement, but I expected someone analysing the new PU and its perfomance compared to the previous one

:?: