Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
User avatar
etusch
193
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

...and if fia keen to be decieved you can be damn reliable

LaplacesDemon
LaplacesDemon
5
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Roostfactor wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:40 am
Hoffman900 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:12 pm
subcritical71 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:32 pm


Yeah, I’m thinking that is one of their seals.
I see it now, and I agree.
I would think they would put the seal across splitlines of components so they would know if the seal/component was tampered with.
If not, what would stop teams from opening up their engines and freshening them up?
To open up the engine they would first need to disassemble the sealed bolts, simple as that.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900
70
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:02 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

LaplacesDemon wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:23 pm
Roostfactor wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:40 am
Hoffman900 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:12 pm


I see it now, and I agree.
I would think they would put the seal across splitlines of components so they would know if the seal/component was tampered with.
If not, what would stop teams from opening up their engines and freshening them up?
To open up the engine they would first need to disassemble the sealed bolts, simple as that.
Exactly. This is how it's done from the local circle track up through IMSA, and apparently F1.

Alexf1
Alexf1
32
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Do we know if the leaking Silvertone engine is still usable as Friday practice engine? Could take miles off engine nr.3 and 4

User avatar
godlameroso
514
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Depends on how bad the leak is, also consider that any seeping oil will wind up on stuff surrounding the engine. It could get messy in there, think of the mechanics.
Saishū kōnā

Alexf1
Alexf1
32
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:39 pm
Depends on how bad the leak is, also consider that any seeping oil will wind up on stuff surrounding the engine. It could get messy in there, think of the mechanics.
Yes, strange the leak was not there during dyno check and not during 3 free practices, only after qualifying with the highest engine setting. I just hope that they were able to fix the leak from the outside and use the engine on low settings as friday engine. This way miles on engine nr.3 and 4 can be limited as I don't think engine nr.1 is still the friday engine unless it's capable of doing more than 6.500 km..

User avatar
Big Tea
167
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Do we know that it is a leak from inside to outside not a joining of one substance or pressure with another?
Possibly an internal to internal 'leak' of fluid or gas?
I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it-
Voltaire, or several other claimants.

Alexf1
Alexf1
32
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:56 pm
Do we know that it is a leak from inside to outside not a joining of one substance or pressure with another?
Possibly an internal to internal 'leak' of fluid or gas?
Don't think so. It's been awfully quiet. It's a writeoff as a race engine I read but haven't heard if they could still use it as a friday practice engine on low modes. What I did notice is that in the 2nd half of the season RB have been relatively slow on friday so they are either always having setup issues or are taking it easy on the engine side which could indicate they can't run it higher (engine nr.2) or are stretching mileage (engine nr.1 or 3)

User avatar
godlameroso
514
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Alexf1 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:23 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:56 pm
Do we know that it is a leak from inside to outside not a joining of one substance or pressure with another?
Possibly an internal to internal 'leak' of fluid or gas?
Don't think so. It's been awfully quiet. It's a writeoff as a race engine I read but haven't heard if they could still use it as a friday practice engine on low modes. What I did notice is that in the 2nd half of the season RB have been relatively slow on friday so they are either always having setup issues or are taking it easy on the engine side which could indicate they can't run it higher (engine nr.2) or are stretching mileage (engine nr.1 or 3)
I think the truth is somewhere in between.
Saishū kōnā

User avatar
Morteza
2630
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mstar
mstar
0
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

ANyone know what Max's PU used for Qatar and how many races his PUs have done?

I think you guys are right he is definitely managing milage on his PU, maybe leaving the most new for the power tracks coming up.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
532
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

The Honda is basically at it's limit based on this evidence:

1) Honda q3 power modes in recent years did not give a big bump in power

2) Honda ran a "safe" detuned map in the first few races of the year to protect or assess reliability.

3) To the external viewer Honda has never attempted to run the engine in an over-power mode in any session this season even when they were on the back foot or when they had the the best chance to run an old engine in Friday practice in such a power mode.

My conclusion is that the Honda engine is already near or at it's peak sustained performance. Even if they build an engine design for two races, the engine could be already combustion limited...

Just my estimation of course.
... . almost. there . sTiLl.. WE...RisE. ..

🚀 🏎️ ✊ Soon my people ✊🏎️🚀

User avatar
etusch
193
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:38 am
The Honda is basically at it's limit based on this evidence:

1) Honda q3 power modes in recent years did not give a big bump in power

2) Honda ran a "safe" detuned map in the first few races of the year to protect or assess reliability.

3) To the external viewer Honda has never attempted to run the engine in an over-power mode in any session this season even when they were on the back foot or when they had the the best chance to run an old engine in Friday practice in such a power mode.

My conclusion is that the Honda engine is already near or at it's peak sustained performance. Even if they build an engine design for two races, the engine could be already combustion limited...

Just my estimation of course.
no, it is just a wishful thinking and shows not understanding Honda aproach to engineering. Mercedes doing what did you said because they don't have any chance otherwise.
ın the other hand merc fan claim that there is no such a big difference in straight line speed which is indication of power.

User avatar
_cerber1
243
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: From Russia with love

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:38 am
The Honda is basically at it's limit based on this evidence:

1) Honda q3 power modes in recent years did not give a big bump in power

2) Honda ran a "safe" detuned map in the first few races of the year to protect or assess reliability.

3) To the external viewer Honda has never attempted to run the engine in an over-power mode in any session this season even when they were on the back foot or when they had the the best chance to run an old engine in Friday practice in such a power mode.

My conclusion is that the Honda engine is already near or at it's peak sustained performance. Even if they build an engine design for two races, the engine could be already combustion limited...

Just my estimation of course.
According to Marko, they were shocked by the power that they saw in the Brazilian Hamilton motor, according to their estimates, he was able to add an additional 15 kW, for a similar request, Honda said that they could only give 4 kW.

User avatar
Wouter
685
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

_cerber1 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:04 am
According to Marko, ......... for a similar request, Honda said that they could only give 4 kW.
.
Could you give me a link for that? I can't find it. Thanks.