Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
SiLo

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

No smoke without fire as they say. The teams all seemed to be suspicious last year, Ferrari were investigated and it seems have been caught doing something that maybe was a bit on the grey side. I don't want to say they were cheating, but maybe they got something past the FIA and have since removed whatever they were doing and the FIA has let it slide.

Personally, I'd rather the FIA announce any findings that could have impacted the championship last year.
Felipe Baby!

Xwang
Xwang

Also Mercedes was guilty of private illegal tyre testing, and the punishment was ridiculous (if we can consider that a punishment).

MtthsMlw

Sounds alright

Cuky

I don't like the sound of it.

If there was something illegal in a way they used their PU even if they had reached a settlement it should be made public so that all competitors and fans know what was going on, why FIA felt that it wasn't correct with regulations and why they decided on settlement instead of penalty.

If there wasn't anything illegal about it then why come out with this news about settlement at all? Just say that everything was in order and then the part where they said FIA and Ferrari will work together on some stuff.

izzy
izzy

that's quite, well, disappointing
"The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 Power Units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels."
it's disappointing that Ferrari obviously did in fact do something naughty, disappointing that FIA are keeping it secret, which isn't quite straightforward is it, i mean WHY?, and disappointing that a penalty is appropriate after all but it's a 100% token one. And "settlement" just sounds like they were bargaining somehow

i mean it just makes it look like Ferrari did something worse than FIA want to let on. If it wasn't that bad why not just say what it was?

izzy
izzy

Xwang wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:13
Also Mercedes was guilty of private illegal tyre testing, and the punishment was ridiculous (if we can consider that a punishment).
oh lol, spare us the tit for tat! Mercedes found a loophole, they didn't "arrange" the test so it was 'legal', just obviously secret and Ross being a very naughty boy, and we were told all about it. if we were going to look for previous examples then Toyota increasing the power of their rally engine with a trick would be closer :wtf:

cirrusflyer

Just maybe it was so bad that all of us fans and teams would yeal DQ and Liberty Just cant afford to do that to Ferrari. They might threaten to quit F1....
Or there Realy isnt anything to say and explain....
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

caesar1
caesar1

cirrusflyer wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:26
Just maybe it was so bad that all of us fans and teams would yeal DQ and Liberty Just cant afford to do that to Ferrari. They might threaten to quit F1....
If there isn't anything to explain why hide the matter? Why not reveal what you found? Surely hiding things will only lead to more questions and accusations so that doesn't make sense.

Giblet
Giblet

Gross.

This isn't an engineer deciding something, this is a deep team effort in cheating.

Ferrari also owe Max an apology IMO.
Last edited by Giblet on 28 Feb 2020, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Xwang
Xwang

caesar1 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:34
cirrusflyer wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:26
If there isn't anything to explain why hide the matter? Why not reveal what you found? Surely hiding things will only lead to more questions and accusations so that doesn't make sense.
Maybe it is something, as someone has said, not strictly forbidden (like perhaps the DAS) and covered by the NDA between teams and FIA.
As far as I have understood, if teams asks clarifications and the matter is not forbidden or give info bout their IP to FIA, FIA cannot say anybody what it is about.

LM10
LM10

That's so weird. If the FIA wasn't going to make it public, why even bother and tell the world that they have made investigations and came to a conclusion with the team? It doesn’t make sense at all. It gives the impression as if they wanted to calm the F1 world.

Also very interesting is what Binotto told in the press conference today. He told that the power unit is one of their issues and it's not better than last year's power unit. I mean, which team principle would tell such a thing? An why is the PU one of their major issues (the other two being downforce and setup as per Binotto - so both areas Ferrari in the contrary have been talking positive about all testing) all of a sudden?
Both, Binotto's words and FIA's announcement today are just very weird in combination.

FrukostScones

LM10 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:50
That's so weird. If the FIA wasn't going to make it public, why even bother and tell the world that they have made investigations and came to a conclusion with the team? It doesn’t make sense at all. It gives the impression as if they wanted to calm the F1 world.

Also very interesting is what Binotto told in the press conference today. He told that the power unit is one of their issues and it's not better than last year's power unit. I mean, which team principle would tell such a thing?
Both, Binotto's words and FIA's announcement today are just very weird in combination.
I think Ferrari cheated and it was found out by FIA, but to keep all parties happy they chose this way keep history as it is. Clean. And to allow under new cheatprove Regs (all fuel parts spec) to prevent dodgy fuel accumulation or whatever.
Those formulations by FIA and Ferrari together is admitting they cheated but no one will really be able to tell apart form all insiders willknow (teams, FIA etc.).
Last edited by FrukostScones on 28 Feb 2020, 20:02, edited 3 times in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dren

It did seem like the Ferrari lost some power towards the end of last season. They might have needed to prove to the FIA during testing that they weren't doing the same thing this year.
Honda!

jumpingfish

I remember 2018 story about cheating battery and Maurizio was angry because someone from FIA told about second sensor "Our battery layout is quite complex, but it is still the intellectual property of Ferrari". It was not only batteries story, also oil burning since 2017 till the end of 2018 with serious regulations at this area, clouds of smoke in garages, grapefruit smell and so on. But. Which engine was most powerful in 2019 after all speculations about banhammer? Which engine lost his power more than other last year after all regulations?

etusch

dren wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:57
It did seem like the Ferrari lost some power towards the end of last season. They might have needed to prove to the FIA during testing that they weren't doing the same thing this year.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... t/4700615/