Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

I think this is the first accurate CG rendering of the Ferrari Power unit:

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘Œ
🟀🟀 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟀🟀

chip engineer

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

PlatinumZealot wrote:I think this is the first accurate CG rendering of the Ferrari Power unit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e54N4LOu6nU#t=134
That MGU-H looks very fake at time 2:13. I really really doubt the 100,000+ rpm rotor has a commutator and copper windings with lots of turns. This kind of MGU usually has a permanent magnet rotor and the windings (with few turns) are in the stator.

PlatinumZealot

It can have windings both in the stator and the armature... But i only know te basics of motors.. With two winding you can vary the field excitement In addition to the permanent magnet field i guess.

Facts Only

As with all of these CGI renderings there's nothing in there of any technical use, certainly nothing that wasn't common knowledge anyway like the location of the charge cooler.

Somebody (unlucky) will have been tasked with pulling together a load of CAD models that are only vaguely like the real PU (I bet that valve train is from a V8 but cut down) and then modelling up the missing parts. The turbine is particularly bad as it appears to show a twin scroll housing which isn't even legal.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

wuzak

Facts Only wrote:As with all of these CGI renderings there's nothing in there of any technical use, certainly nothing that wasn't common knowledge anyway like the location of the charge cooler.

Somebody (unlucky) will have been tasked with pulling together a load of CAD models that are only vaguely like the real PU (I bet that valve train is from a V8 but cut down) and then modelling up the missing parts. The turbine is particularly bad as it appears to show a twin scroll housing which isn't even legal.
Twin scroll turbines aren't allowed? Since when?

All three used them last year. I'm quite sure that Ferrari and Mercedes still are.

As to teh rendering, I think it is, esentially, the same one that Ferrari showed late in 2013 or early 2014. So mainly indicative, rather than any detail.

Facts Only

wuzak wrote:
Facts Only wrote:As with all of these CGI renderings there's nothing in there of any technical use, certainly nothing that wasn't common knowledge anyway like the location of the charge cooler.

All three used them last year. I'm quite sure that Ferrari and Mercedes still are.

As to teh rendering, I think it is, esentially, the same one that Ferrari showed late in 2013 or early 2014. So mainly indicative, rather than any detail.
You have confused twin entry and twin scroll.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

F1NAC

PlatinumZealot wrote:I think this is the first accurate CG rendering of the Ferrari Power unit:

Its the same animation they used before 2014 season ;)

F1 2014 - Ferrari presenta su motor V6 Turbo 059/3: https://youtu.be/FFkzEwZq9qA

wuzak

Facts Only wrote:
wuzak wrote:

You have confused twin entry and twin scroll.
Mayve.

Surely you can't have twin entry without twin scroll?

And point to the regulation which supposedly bans twin scroll.

gruntguru

Facts Only wrote:You have confused twin entry and twin scroll.
Twin entry and twin scroll are both permitted. Its "multi-stage" that is not allowed.
je suis charlie

wuzak

gruntguru wrote:
Twin entry and twin scroll are both permitted. Its "multi-stage" that is not allowed.
Can you have twin entry without twin scroll?

Facts Only

wuzak wrote:
gruntguru wrote:

You can have twin entry without twin scroll but it means each volut only covers 180Β° of the turbine before the tongue section.

I checked the regs and I was wrong, I was thinking of multi-stage. Twin scroll isn't used anyway as like VGT its a hinderance to peak performace and is best suited to application where a much wider operating band is needed.

gruntguru

wuzak wrote:
gruntguru wrote:
Agree, they are pretty much the same thing.
je suis charlie

FW17

Thunders wrote:Nice look at the ferrari Engine by AMuS from China.

What we see is the back of the engine (I guess)

Not able to make too much sense of what is happening within the V, I think are the intake manifolds.?

PlatinumZealot

F1NAC wrote:

Its the same animation they used before 2014 season ;)

F1 2014 - Ferrari presenta su motor V6 Turbo 059/3: https://youtu.be/FFkzEwZq9qA
Watch the video beacuae the engines shown in the two animations are very different. Boths versions are obviously not cad models, possibly just maya or 3d studio, but this version is more accurate.

Wayne DR

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Thunders wrote:Nice look at the ferrari Engine by AMuS from China.

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Sau ... 855615.jpg
What we see is the back of the engine (I guess)

Not able to make too much sense of what is happening within the V, I think are the intake manifolds.?
They will be probably be throttle bodies, as the air-water intercooler sits in the vee.