Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
timbo
timbo

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

The maximum speeds in the race are much better than in Qualy. Sure, it should be helped by slipstreaming, but that should affect other cars too. Can it be that they can't charge the battery fully during the out lap? Anyway, judging by the maximum speeds in the race and qualifying it seems they are mostly hurt in the latter.

ScrewCaptain27

etusch wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 13:06
Ferrari pu sounds different compared to last season at gear changes. What do you think about that? I am not sure but engine also sounds different
Electric motors are much quieter, and it sounds like it’s deploying ERS very little at all. It didn’t sound like that in testing either, which is why I think they had serious problems with the system.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

ScrewCaptain27

timbo wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 15:29
The maximum speeds in the race are much better than in Qualy. Sure, it should be helped by slipstreaming, but that should affect other cars too. Can it be that they can't charge the battery fully during the out lap? Anyway, judging by the maximum speeds in the race and qualifying it seems they are mostly hurt in the latter.
Not only top speed, but acceleration was significantly better after the last two restarts, after they had plenty of time to recharge the batteries. Just look at how Leclerc got past Norris. Little to do with traction or tyre wear since they pitted at the same time and Norris also got fastest lap at the end.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

nemanja
nemanja

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 16:09
etusch wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 13:06
Ferrari pu sounds different compared to last season at gear changes. What do you think about that? I am not sure but engine also sounds different
Electric motors are much quieter, and it sounds like it’s deploying ERS very little at all. It didn’t sound like that in testing either, which is why I think they had serious problems with the system.
Do You maybe have some inside info...?

McMika98
McMika98

Its clear that Ferrari have lost their magic Q3 button. Race pace suggests that relative power to competition is similar but in quali they cant turn up the wick.

LM10
LM10

A regulation related question: Since most of the parts of the engine (ICE, TC, MGU-H) has been freezed for the remaineder of the season, does that mean that they’re not allowed to develop the 2021 PU until this season ends?

dans79

LM10 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 23:36
A regulation related question: Since most of the parts of the engine (ICE, TC, MGU-H) has been freezed for the remaineder of the season, does that mean that they’re not allowed to develop the 2021 PU until this season ends?
I believe they can develop as much as they want, they just can't use the new stuff until next season.
197 104 103 7

LM10
LM10

dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 23:42
LM10 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 23:36
I believe they can develop as much as they want, they just can't use the new stuff until next season.
Alright, thank you.

bill shoe
bill shoe

All 2020 Ferrari-powered teams (Ferrari, Haas, Alfa) lack pace including a conspicuous lack of straight-line speed. Now Haas principal Gunther Steiner has declared he is shocked!, yes shocked!, that the Ferrari powertrain is down on power. He is asking Ferrari to investigate. Seems odd or inexplicable on the surface because everyone is very familiar with the Ferrari powertrain rumors and corresponding recent FIA "settlement". But if I were Gunther and had to sign off on $20 million dollar checks to Ferrari for engines that were outlier-slow, then I might want my supplier to launch an investigation too.

Link to brief article-
https://racer.com/2020/07/06/steiner-wa ... e-deficit/

Not concerned here about cheating vs. bending rules, but Ferrari are behind every other engine supplier now that the powertrain rules/interpretation/enforcement are tightened up a bit. Not a little behind like one engine spec, but more like two years behind and a whole engine-generation! Looks like Ferrari took a risk with the direction of their powertrain development and it didn't work out.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

As I've posted in December last year, Mercedes had pretty much ruled out Ferrari as a competitor for 2020 - I find it surprising that Ferrari customers are shocked.

What exactly is Binotto's official response? Initially they seemed to have blamed it all on drag but post Austria they seem to finally acknowledge engine power is down. Was there any reason given for this ?
Mudflap wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 20:35
I am also told that, while not directly accusing Ferrari of cheating, Andy Cowell declared in the last post-race debrief that they are expecting Ferrari to take a significant step back for 2020 and they now consider RBR Honda their main competitor for the next season.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Let's see how the speeds compare on a low altitude track with max downforce

MtthsMlw

Alexf1 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 19:23
Certainly better but most tracks aren't like this.
Come to think about it, Ferrari knew since November that they might loose their advantage and should have anticipated that this day could come at any time if they really tricked around. Makes me wonder how they decided between the current aero concept (max. downforce but draggy) or continuing with the low drag lower downforce one.

LM10
LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 19:37
Alexf1 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 19:23
Come to think about it, Ferrari knew since November that they might loose their advantage and should have anticipated that this day could come at any time if they really tricked around. Makes me wonder how they decided between the current aero concept (max. downforce but draggy) or continuing with the low drag lower downforce one.
Another thing which makes me wonder is why Binotto continuously insisted on the PU to be legal at any time until the very end of the season.
Fast forward to the current season, right after the race in Spielberg, he told that they lost power.

wowgr8
wowgr8

MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 19:37
They went in the right direction, that low drag concept where they lost a second to their competitors in the corners would've made this season even uglier than it is, that's before we mention the bad tyre management and awful race pace. This season was a lose-lose after the engine saga and clarifications

wowgr8
wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 19:41

Another thing which makes me wonder is why Binotto continuously insisted on the PU to be legal at any time until the very end of the season.
Fast forward to the current season, right after the race in Spielberg, he told that they lost power.
There's just no way to handle the situation well, if he admits they lost power it's "Binotto admits Ferrari cheated" headlines. Playing dumb looks dumb but it's the better of the 2 evils. In Austria he had to admit it because the speed trap and lap times made it impossible to deny, he did as well as he could