2021 Engine thread

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
djos

Re: 2021 Engine thread

Bill wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:33 pm
Why single out only those two the whole economy not just car industry will be affected including survival of small teams like Williams.
Honda and Nissan both suffered extreme brain damage in the GFC and haven’t recovered.

Their vehicles are not innovative or interesting. Both brands are being eaten alive by Mazda and Hyundai/Kia.

I used to love Honda’s but I wouldn’t touch one with a 50ft pole these days, same goes for Nissan.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

MatsNorway
MatsNorway

Biofuel can also be something closer to biodiesel. It could give a bump in efficiency at the cost of reducing the octane number.

As for development i hope for lower revs to increase efficiency as well as improving the sound.
There is no need to make F1 engines more complicated. Fuel flow should have been completely flat from day one. But that is a big jump now. So lowering fuel flow to peak at 9000-9500 is a start.

Lowering the weight of the engine a bit is fine, as long as the car weight follows too. Otherwise you get even longer cars.
je suis charlie

A touch of genius is the simplest thing.

DRS is like supports on a bicycle[/size]

Pyrone89

Please remind me, what is a 2021 engine? Weren't those plans scrapped to prevent extra costs and a new engine spending war especially as manufacturers are already complaining let alone in this new economic climate.

Pyrone89

Bill wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:33 pm
Why single out only those two the whole economy not just car industry will be affected including survival of small teams like Williams.
Because the rich will always stay rich. And those are the market for Ferrari. Mercedes is in between, catering for the higher middle class. Which also tend to survive crises better than lower income classes.

Zynerji
Zynerji

Put F1 tech in road cars. Im sure a 2cyl version of these engines could really make an impact on marketshare.

michl420
michl420

Just read the Headline for this threat, as today it is announced the engine got 5kg heavier. (what a wonderful modern world) #-o