[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Frankly I'm not worried, I think that all 3 engine manufacturers are planning to reduce their role to suppliers, the engines are going to converge and won't be a big difference between them. I think Honda is leaving because for 2022 they(the powers that be) are planning to limit the scope of engine development. I don't think it is a financial reason, but because there will be no point to compete with their unique power unit, it will not longer be unique, all three manufacturers will run the same layout, they'll start standardizing parts. The chassis itself will be heavily restricted making adapting to a new similar power unit less painful.

The switch for Red Bull will not be too bad.
Saishū kōnā

_cerber1

godlameroso wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 02:56
Frankly I'm not worried, I think that all 3 engine manufacturers are planning to reduce their role to suppliers, the engines are going to converge and won't be a big difference between them. I think Honda is leaving because for 2022 they(the powers that be) are planning to limit the scope of engine development. I don't think it is a financial reason, but because there will be no point to compete with their unique power unit, it will not longer be unique, all three manufacturers will run the same layout, they'll start standardizing parts. The chassis itself will be heavily restricted making adapting to a new similar power unit less painful.

You're wrong, Honda really wanted to cut costs. And the uniqueness of the motor has nothing to do with it, if it was at all.

The head of the motorsport division of Honda, Masashi Yamamoto, admitted that the issues of spending funds in Formula 1 are quite painful for the company and after the introduction of the new regulations, they are planned to be reduced.
“We need to start calculating the costs taking into account the new regulations. This is difficult enough for all manufacturers, because electrification changes everything. So we will write the estimate and have internal discussions on these issues.
Is the financial issue the biggest factor in the question of whether we will continue to participate in Formula 1? Yes, the question of money is the most difficult one, but victory is a priority for us. Once we make a decision, we will focus on winning. Our results in 2019 are positive, but we need to find a balance in spending. We will try to reduce costs while maintaining the current state of affairs ”, - quotes the words of Yamamoto Autosport.

Marti_EF3

_cerber1 wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 07:33
godlameroso wrote:

You're wrong, Honda really wanted to cut costs. And the uniqueness of the motor has nothing to do with it, if it was at all.

The head of the motorsport division of Honda, Masashi Yamamoto, admitted that the issues of spending funds in Formula 1 are quite painful for the company and after the introduction of the new regulations, they are planned to be reduced.
“We need to start calculating the costs taking into account the new regulations. This is difficult enough for all manufacturers, because electrification changes everything. So we will write the estimate and have internal discussions on these issues.
Is the financial issue the biggest factor in the question of whether we will continue to participate in Formula 1? Yes, the question of money is the most difficult one, but victory is a priority for us. Once we make a decision, we will focus on winning. Our results in 2019 are positive, but we need to find a balance in spending. We will try to reduce costs while maintaining the current state of affairs ”, - quotes the words of Yamamoto Autosport.
That's maybe the reason to the rumours involving Mugen and RB spending on the PU. Less costs for Honda, RB have their "own" engine and can continue to spend more and keep part of the staff. Both parts happy with it

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

As much as I enjoy getting into it with godlameroso I agree with him about the PUs but not sure that make sense with regards to Honda leaving. It isn't a really big secret that there is a need to freeze PUs development to allow investiment into a new PU architecture for 2026. Typically that is 3 years. So thier leaving would be one year shy of the PU freeze. Kind of means they don't want to get into whatever will replace the current technology.

GhostF1
GhostF1

diffuser wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 04:31
_cerber1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

As much as I enjoy getting into it with godlameroso I agree with him about the PUs but not sure that make sense with regards to Honda leaving. It isn't a really big secret that there is a need to freeze PUs development to allow investiment into a new PU architecture for 2026. Typically that is 3 years. So thier leaving would be one year shy of the PU freeze. Kind of means they don't want to get into whatever will replace the current technology.
That but there is also the fact Horner appreciated Honda giving them plenty of time to make certain decisions at the press conference this past morning. So you could read that as Honda backing out before integration work between the new chassis for 22 and PU becomes of paramount importance.

Wouter

Max and Olav Mol interview. You can choose your own subtitels.

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

diffuser wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 04:31

I think Honda well aware who will decide next formula and who has affect on it more than Honda. It will always fit with Western/europian style more than Honda. It is very important that how many things inside engine formula you are experienced with.

godlameroso

Well done, this car has taken a step forward, Verstappen has consistently been closer to Mercedes. It's very close between all 3 here so a lot to play for tomorrow. Glad to see Albon a bit closer, he will have a very nice race with Leclerc.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

Worst sector is S3, where Merc have a clear advantage. Start will be key, if not, I think beating Merc is almost impossible

godlameroso

Marti_EF3 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 16:14
Worst sector is S3, where Merc have a clear advantage. Start will be key, if not, I think beating Merc is almost impossible
It's all in the final turn, it's the one corner type the RB is weak on, there's no camber to help you, and the speed range of the entry is one the car has never liked since the start of the season. Luckily that situation improves on heavy fuel, and tyres are still a big unknown. I think it's close enough that a well timed pitstop could drastically change things, the top 3 have a nice gap to the rest that I feel first order of business would be to pull a gap to come out in clean air after the pit stop. I feel that no one will want to blink first and everyone will try to prolong the first stint to have some tire life left over.

We don't have a lot of tyre information so we don't know if the wear rates on the soft or medium will be very different, what is apparent is that the soft is much faster than the medium, the hard may be too difficult to use in this weather unless the team prepared for that in their parc ferme setup. The fronts grain, the rears are heavily loaded so they wear normally. I hope that the front wing tweaks don't hold us up in the pits for too long.

Also there's a chance of a safety car on the start, that first corner is quite treacherous and cannot fit many cars side by side, so always a chance to get rear ended or side swiped.
Saishū kōnā

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

*Insert classic redbull late season progress as the championship fight is over*

godlameroso

The progress was apparent since Mugello.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 16:12
Well done, this car has taken a step forward, Verstappen has consistently been closer to Mercedes. It's very close between all 3 here so a lot to play for tomorrow. Glad to see Albon a bit closer, he will have a very nice race with Leclerc.
I believe Redbull have improved but I can not be optimist because of cold weather(maybe cold conditions has more affect than improvement at close battle for pole). Hope Redbull is still better at race pace than Q.
From now on, it may be cold everywhere so if it would be close battle at coming races, at least it worth to watch.

godlameroso

etusch wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 17:40
godlameroso wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 16:12
I believe Redbull have improved but I can not be optimist because of cold weather(maybe cold conditions has more affect than improvement at close battle for pole). Hope Redbull is still better at race pace than Q.
From now on, it may be cold everywhere so if it would be close battle at coming races, at least it worth to watch.
Portugal will be a little warmer.
Saishū kōnā

tangodjango
tangodjango

Seems like there was a big overall update package:

"Visibly the RB16 looks the same as it did in Russia two weeks ago, suggesting that its upgrades are subtle, likely under the top-surface of the car and not the usual aerodynamic focuses like the rear of the floor or the bargeboards."

https://the-race.com/formula-1/red-bull ... e-package/
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello