2016 3 tire compound rules

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hollus

Re: 2016 3 tire compound rules

Someone at F1fanatic made a pretty good attempt at interpreting what it all will mean. It seems to make sense, and hopefully everything will be clear as mud after you read it!
Alianora-La-Canta wrote:I’ll attempt a description of what this is likely to look like here:

Teams get two sets of tyres per practise (they could in theory use more, but the hand-back rules make that counter-productive). Five of the sets involved are likely to be “race tyres” (i.e. the same compound as the Pirelli compulsory race tyre) and “option tyres” (the compound Pirelli doesn’t require anyone to use). The other one will be a “qualifying” set so the teams can practise their qualifying runs in third practice. (There’s no rule stopping this because only the compulsory sets are prohibited before qualifying – a set chosen as one of the team’s optional 10 sets may be used in any session provided it’s handed back at the correct time).

For qualifying, it’s different depending on whether you expect to make Q3 or not. This is because Q3 runners must use the compulsory “qualifying” compound in that session or not at all, while people who are out in Q1 or Q2 may instead use the ‘qualifying’ compound in the race. That tyre will probably do five to eight laps at the end of the race, so for a team that thinks it will be just forced onto two stops and doesn’t think it can reach Q3, that’s highly useful.

Expect everyone to do banker laps on their hardest compound, and to use the same set for all banker laps done. Whichever “non-qualifying” option is softest will probably be used for Q1 and Q2 (with the possible exception of dominant teams in Q1 and people seriously considering one-stop races in Q2) and the qualifying tyre will obviously be used for Q3’s final run.

One-stopping is likely to be the standard strategy for any Q3 runner who can get there and make it work. Expect a lot of Hard-Softs. For any that can’t do so for whatever reason, expect Race-Race-Option, Race-Option-Race or Option-Race-Race, depending on precise strategy.

For non-Q3 runners, two-stopping is almost always going to be the preferred approach, using Race-Option-Qualifying or Option-Race-Qualifying. There will be a lot of attempted fight-backs in the last five laps as a result.

Three-stoppers will be stuck at the back, unless it rains or the conditions are bad enough to prevent two-stop strategies involving a qualifying tyre.

Short version: it looks like a lot will change, but probably things will be very similar to how they were in 2015 in terms of tyre use.
For people out of Q3... could this "quali" tire become the start tire instead? At some tracks there are probably a couple of places to be made at the start by using your very softest compound, the cost being a very, very early stop...
Rivals, not enemies.

Andres125sx

godlameroso wrote:No one is going to use the hard, it's too hard, and no one will use the ultra soft, because it's too soft.
That will depend on track. We´ve seen this season some tracks where even supersoft tyre was too hard, so ultrasoft may be an improvement

It also will bring some more strategy options. I like it, one of the few things I like from FIA lately

dans79

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/12/08/f ... yre-rules/

looks like we could even have 4 tires at some events.
a) Three specifications of dry-weather tyre at each Event, each of which must be visibly distinguishable from one another when a car is on the track.
b) At certain Events one additional specification of dry-weather tyre may be made available to all teams for evaluation purposes following a recommendation to the FIA from the Supplier. Teams will be informed about such an additional specification at least one week before the start of the relevant Event.
197 104 103 7

mikeerfol

Also..
Teams must notify the FIA of their choice of tyres for each event 14 weeks in advance for races held outside Europe and eight weeks in advance for races held within Europe. The deadline for the first race of next season will therefore be on December 17th this year.
I thought it was going to be 2 weeks before the weekend?

Shrieker

This opens things wide for manipulation. People will somehow find out what tires their rivals are going to be on the next race, and pick accordingly.

This smacks of corruption.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

RicME85

This makes things a bit clearer on how it works across the weekend - http://formulaspy.com/features/tech-ins ... ined-21216

RicME85

mikeerfol wrote:Also..
Teams must notify the FIA of their choice of tyres for each event 14 weeks in advance for races held outside Europe and eight weeks in advance for races held within Europe. The deadline for the first race of next season will therefore be on December 17th this year.
Well its clearly not going to be 2 weeks before a fly away race as everything goes by sea, Pirelli would have to ship massive amounts of tyres with the vast amount not getting used.

FW17

Let me see if I have got this right

13 sets a weekend

For OZ Pirelli could nominate 3 compounds, lets say US, SS, S

Pirelli chooses 3 Sets - could be 2 sets of S and US for Q3

Teams are then free to choose 2 types for remaining 10 sets

which could mean we seeing all 3 types of tyres being used in the race by the driver who has done q3 (if drivers still have to start race with Q3 tyres)

while only 2 by drivers outside q3

Thunder

Teams have to nominate their Tire choices for the Australian GP until Friday..... :wtf: :wtf:

I guess i am to stupid to see the sense behind this? The First few Races will be like russian roulette. But then that's exactly what we want right, right......? :roll:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

pastaracing
pastaracing

WilliamsF1 wrote:Let me see if I have got this right

13 sets a weekend

For OZ Pirelli could nominate 3 compounds, lets say US, SS, S

Pirelli chooses 3 Sets - could be 2 sets of S and US for Q3

Teams are then free to choose 2 types for remaining 10 sets

which could mean we seeing all 3 types of tyres being used in the race by the driver who has done q3 (if drivers still have to start race with Q3 tyres)

while only 2 by drivers outside q3
Imagine that the team X choose S and SS in your prediction, that means that it only be one set of US, no chance to test with this type and if You go to Q3 there will be a 'blind' run without knowing how the tire will behave.
In other hand, if You fail Q3, then You have a set of US for the race(also untested), if I read the 24.4.e.i right:
24.4.e.i One set of the mandatory Q3 tyre specification may not be used nor returned before Q3 and, for the cars that qualified for Q3, must be returned to the Supplier before the start of the race.
This means that, if you not participate in Q3 You don't return the Q3 set and can use it for the race.

FrukostScones

RicME85 wrote:This makes things a bit clearer on how it works across the weekend - http://formulaspy.com/features/tech-ins ... ined-21216
Ok?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

mikeerfol wrote:Also..
lol when teams learn that their 2016 car performs poorly on a certain compound, but they've already chosen that compound for the next 5 races and can't change it out...

ian_s

so all teams get a set of tires for q3, even if they don't get there.
the teams that do get to get to q3 have to give that set back
so all the others get a set of the softest compound to use in the race, if they so wish.
it probably wont affect the front of the grid much, but i see qualifying 11th as an advantage over 9th or 10th

turbof1

This also explains why teams might be able ro run all 3 compounds during the race and qualifying. Primary conditions is that the teams choose the 2 harder compounds offered by Pirelli. If so, then:

1) The dropouts from Q1 and Q2 will receive the tyre for the racing.
2) The ones in Q3 will have only one shot on the softesr compound. It's not a stretch to think the top tier teams will try the hardest compound in Q1, the less harder one in Q2 and the first of Q3, and the last run will be on the softest tyre.

1) is unlikely, unless of course race situations force those particular drivers to switch tyres in the last few rounds. 2) does seem likely for the ones battling for pole. I think that those teams will also play conservative with their compound choices since the softest tyre will not last as long as the other 2 compounds, and they have no disadvantage whatsoever in Q3 since they get one shot on the softest compound in any case.

While typing this, I do have to make one note on myselfs: if they do choose the hardest compounds, they will not be able to practice on the softest compound.
#AeroFrodo

Italiano
Italiano

I'm sorry and I know this is 2015 and someone will be offended by my "language"...

But this is retarded. Borderline certifiable. Are you kidding me? You have to read the stupid rules about 2-3 times before you even begin to comprehend. Why on earth must every single change be even worse and even more complicated? #-o Just have a hard, soft, qualy and two rain tyres. And a set time before a GP for the teams to notify Pirelli what they want for the specific race.

And now this, is this a goddamn joke?! What kinda tyres u want dude? I dunno. Well we need to know 3 months in advance.

3 MONTHS!!!

It's either the power unit or the tyres or the aero or the budgets, just stupid crap everywhere you look.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules