This could be really interesting, or a complete disaster!Following a meeting of the WMSC in Paris, it was confirmed that: "The tyre supplier will now provide three dry-weather compounds instead of two.
"Of the 13 sets of dry tyres available to each driver, the tyre supplier will choose two for the race (only one of which must be used in the race), and one set (the softest available) that may only be used in Q3.
"Each driver may then choose their remaining 10 sets from the three available compounds.
Summary of the changes
- New tyre added to the dry weather compounds: A purple banded Ultra-soft tyre, softer than the Super-soft tyre.
- 5 Dry weather compounds in total next year.
- Pirelli will now nominate 3 dry weather compounds for each race. Each team will choose 2 out of those.
- The choices have to be relayed to the FIA, which relays it to Pirelli. Any team failing to do so within an undisclosed deadline before the event, will get its tyres choosen by the FIA.
- Tyre choices of the teams will not be communicated to the public or shared among teams before 2 weeks of the event.