does anyone have sketches of engines

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
echedey

does anyone have sketches of engines

Hello I would like to learn how to make my own sketches of engines and then model them in 3d, I have searched for information on the Internet and have not managed to find in formation of how to draw an engine, someone would have the first sketches made on paper and pencil, I would like to know how to draw the engine block, the cylinder head, the crankshaft, the valves, how to draw the tunnel where the crankshaft rotates, how to draw the camshafts and how to determine the number of teeth of the distribution between the gears of the crankshaft and the gears of the camshafts, how to draw the valves and ect. What I want to do is to make my own pencil and paper sketches of my first engine, what kind of crank pin diameters are there or could I use, the diameter of the connecting rod and crankshaft bearings I would need or how to determine their diameter according to the diameter of the main and connecting rod journals, the distance of the crankshaft rotation tunnel partitions and the width of each main bearing block.

Zynerji

Re: does anyone have sketches of engines

Id search for Scarbs's posts/drawings on the forum/internet. He has some of the better ones I think.

henry

Search the internet for cutaway drawings of tony matthews. A U.K. based illustrator of things technical including engines. I think there are some articles where he writes about his approach. It’s a while since I looked at his work but it is beautiful, both technically accurate and artistically pleasing.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

echedey

I have already looked and it is not what I am looking for what I am looking for are drawings like the sketch that appears in the following link and someone explain me how it is done so that I can make my own I am only interested in the drawing part for now not the engineering part.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVL26raX0AA ... =4096x4096

Zynerji

echedey wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 16:09
I have already looked and it is not what I am looking for what I am looking for are drawings like the sketch that appears in the following link and someone explain me how it is done so that I can make my own I am only interested in the drawing part for now not the engineering part.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVL26raX0AA ... =4096x4096
Thats called drafting.... Don on these : https://www.amazon.com/Drafting-Tables/ ... de=3733771

echedey

ok what i want is to learn how to make these engine sketches to make my own engines my own sketches to learn how to make my own drawings like the ones in the link.

MHR650

Nobody does it that way nowadays. You always start with the 3D modeling, create models of the components, assemble them into an engine assembly, and after you are happy with the 3D design you use 2D drafting to create detailed drawings of the components and assemblies. When you have been doing it for a while your mind starts thinking in 3D, how to create the component you are trying to design. Then you have an assembly with all the components which you use to confirm fit of everything. The final step of the 2D drawings is where you apply GD&T, material specifications, and engineering notes.

The overall layout sketch you show can be useful at the start of a project to set the basic parameters, but with 3D design you wouldn’t make it highly detailed like the old school sketch you are showing, it would be more like a white board sketch. Even more likely the basic parameters of a design would be laid out in an Excel spreadsheet and you would design from there

Tommy Cookers

MHR650 wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:06
Nobody does it that way nowadays. You always start with the 3D modeling, create models of the components, assemble them into an engine assembly, and after you are happy with the 3D design you use 2D drafting to create detailed drawings of the components and assemblies. .....
it can be an order of magnitude quicker to just do the 2D drawings
eg if like Adrian Newey you haven't spent the years needed learning to drive a solid modelling system

Hoffman900

Tommy Cookers wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:48
MHR650 wrote:
Nobody does it that way nowadays. You always start with the 3D modeling, create models of the components, assemble them into an engine assembly, and after you are happy with the 3D design you use 2D drafting to create detailed drawings of the components and assemblies. .....
eg if like Adrian Newey you haven't spent the years needed learning to drive a solid modelling system
Which is crazy because CAD almost spans his entire career.

How much design is Adrian really doing now?

Obviously, he’s worth it to worth paying him + an assistant to read his emails + people to transcribe his drawings into CAD, but talk about an inefficient dinosaur that requires a support crew… kind of like a steam locomotive.

Zynerji

Hoffman900 wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:55
Tommy Cookers wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:48
MHR650 wrote:
Which is crazy because CAD almost spans his entire career.

How much design is Adrian really doing now?

Obviously, he’s worth it to worth paying him + an assistant to read his emails + people to transcribe his drawings into CAD, but talk about an inefficient dinosaur that requires a support crew… kind of like a steam locomotive.
I mean, a camera setup and a python script could pretty quickly be made to import and scale the drawings for Adrian. That's not a "pit crew".🙄

echedey

ya but I'd like to do my drawings like old school pencil and paper and then transcribe them and transfer them to 3d.

Zynerji

echedey wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 20:39
ya but I'd like to do my drawings like old school pencil and paper and then transcribe them and transfer them to 3d.
Drafting 101 textbook, and a pack of squares it is then.

Greg Locock

That 'sketch' is part of a general assembly drawing (and a very nice one too). It takes about 6 weeks to learn to draw like that to a standard that won't end up with a T square in your cranium (old time drafting supervisors were a bit fed up with engineering students), but years to actually do it properly.

Rodak

2-D layouts are useful to rough in basic dimensions, such as diameters of components, basic layout of where you think things will go, as well as seeing if you have interference, etc. Once you have some dimensions you can start building 3-D components and start fitting things together. You can then check that you don't have parts hitting each other, etc. Ex marine design engineer (the American kind), aircraft composite tool designer, etc. here, with a lot of CAD design time. With CAD you can make things like the block, piston, rods, crank, gears, etc. each on their separate layer then put the whole thing together and see where you have problems. A fantastic tool for routing things, checking interference, etc. and a fantastic way to generate 2-D production drawings or generate CAM data. If you want to learn basic drafting there are lots of books out there. You aren't going to get anywhere designing an engine until you have an idea of what you want to do; bore, stroke, cylinder spacing, cam operation, valves and valve angle, crank and rod bearing loading, etc.

coaster

Do you remember from about 2002 until 2005 or so many automotive manuals and brochures in pdf format often had scalable vector graphics of mechanical assemblies? In Linux Ubuntu the application called 'inkscape' could retrieve the artwork and save it as cad dxf file format, sometimes good cad could be obtained.