2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RZS10

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

He repeatedly tried to get out from underneath Max' car reving it while stationary, the engine surely didn't like that but there's no way to tell whether that could have damaged it.

Stormblessed

dans79 wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 17:40
You can only take a new Gearbox because of a DNF.

If you take a 4th PU you will get penalties no matter what, and it must be the same spec as all previous ones.

The PU should be fine from the accident, more likely he might need a new chassis!
Is he still using the same chassis that Bottas was using earlier?

dans79

Stormblessed wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:29
dans79 wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 17:40
You can only take a new Gearbox because of a DNF.

If you take a 4th PU you will get penalties no matter what, and it must be the same spec as all previous ones.

The PU should be fine from the accident, more likely he might need a new chassis!
Is he still using the same chassis that Bottas was using earlier?
I believe so!
197 104 103 7

Stormblessed

ringo wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 14:20
Well said!
Yes he has no interest in racing Hamilton. It's to be champion at all costs.
The last driver i saw like this was Nico. And Nico was not as bad as he was in the same team like Senna and Prost.
It's the first i have observed this across teams.

Phil made some good points on the team's choices.

Lewis also made a wrong choice with the turn 4 attempt.
He should have followed Max through and overtake later on the lap.
Even though we do not know what Max will do if Lewis tried to overtake later.

The team really needs to sharpen up and so does Lewis. He doesnt seem as hungry and clinical as he used to be. He is driving well and it's evident he has an edge over his rival in his abilities, but the chances arent coming often and when they come he or the team make a wrong choice. I wouldnt say error but they make wrong choices.
Agreed with the last point. Just seems like the team and Lewis is a bit too relaxed or not as hungry for this championship.. Lewis's consistency is also missing a bit this year.

Stormblessed

dans79 wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:30

I believe so!
Maybe a chassis change might help. This seemed to be the one Bottas was struggling to setup/drive at pace and was suggesting that there is something wrong with it. Since then he has been doing well apart from being unlucky on several occasions.

Also, what do you guys think of Bottas winning the championship? like in the case of Raikkonen in 2007. These two (Max and Lewis) are playing bumper cars every time they are close to each other on track. Bottas is not too far away, maybe a couple of wins would put him closer with an outside chance.

dans79

Stormblessed wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 18:40
Also, what do you guys think of Bottas winning the championship?
He's 80 points back, he would need to win 3 races while Lewis and Max DNF just to close the gap. Imo, he has no chance!
197 104 103 7

Stormblessed

At the rate these two are going, wouldn't put it past them. :P

I do prefer Lewis to win this championship just for all the antics and accusations thrown at him by RB this year.

ringo

This crash I think came at the right time to wake Lewis up. The gap is just 5 points. He needs to drive how he was driving at the start of the season. No matter what Max does or feels, keep avoiding him on track. Overtake him only on the back straights with DRS and keep collecting points.
Mercedes need to set the car up a little bit back towards qualifying pace and put both cars on the front row. They cannot rely on their pitstops to try undercuts or overtaking on the faster tyre at the end.

Redbull have no legs to stand on whenever Max is behind Lewis on the same strategy. More often than not Lewis is one overtaking him on the same strategy because of better tyre management. Mercedes really need to find back that hunger for this year.
I do like that Bottas has found back his speed. It may well be the engine.
For Sure!!

selvam_e2002

some one need to teach Max how to drive. I believe Hamilton doing that. You cannot always give space to your challenger.
I 100% support Hamilton and I am confident his approach won't change.

It is time for Max to learn if not he will disappear very quickly from F1.

aMessageToCharlie

selvam_e2002 wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 05:52
some one need to teach Max how to drive. I believe Hamilton doing that. You cannot always give space to your challenger.
I 100% support Hamilton and I am confident his approach won't change.

It is time for Max to learn if not he will disappear very quickly from F1.
Yeah, I'm sure that he's deeply concerned about his future and that he'd love to learn a trick or two from your excessive experience and wisdom :lol:

Marty_Y

e30ernest

Marty_Y wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 22:28
You can really see the impact on his head there. That could have been a very nasty one....

Shrieker

Take new PU here ?

Pros:

+ One of those tracks where a fresh engine is sure to help
+ Track surface is easy on the tires, you can push for overtakes and not feel the sting of it (at least not nearly as much as elsewhere)
+ Can start from the back on hards, which opens up strategy on sc/vsc, both for cheap pitstops, or jumping ahead of others by staying out
+ Valtteri is likely to stay ahead of Verstappen barring any mishaps, even when Max's penalty is not taken into account
+ First corner pinch point can offer opportunities at the start

Cons:

- If RB decide to pick a new PU, it forces Lewis to be in close proximity with Max (which I think should be avoided unless absolutely necessary)
- First corner pinch point can cause disaster at the start

If Hamilton doesn't take a new engine, I have a feeling he won't win anyway, now that Bottas has a new engine, and has done a stellar job here in the past.

Thoughts ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SiLo

Shrieker wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 10:29
Take new PU here ?

Pros:

+ One of those tracks where a fresh engine is sure to help
+ Track surface is easy on the tires, you can push for overtakes and not feel the sting of it (at least not nearly as much as elsewhere)
+ Can start from the back on hards, which opens up strategy on sc/vsc, both for cheap pitstops, or jumping ahead of others by staying out
+ Valtteri is likely to stay ahead of Verstappen barring any mishaps, even when Max's penalty is not taken into account
+ First corner pinch point can offer opportunities at the start

Cons:

- If RB decide to pick a new PU, it forces Lewis to be in close proximity with Max (which I think should be avoided unless absolutely necessary)
- First corner pinch point can cause disaster at the start

If Hamilton doesn't take a new engine, I have a feeling he won't win anyway, now that Bottas has a new engine, and has done a stellar job here in the past.

Thoughts ?
Unless Hamilton takes a penalty for a new engine change, Bottas isn't winning outside of a retirement or some issues during the race. He will have to move over for Lewis.

Personally, I think Lewis wants to start P2 here and get towed by Bottas and his fresh engine all the way to T1.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

It's tricky RE: engine penalty in Russia. Verstappen will only start 4th at best so unless there's a disaster in qualifying or the race, it's just throwing away 'free' points to do so.
Alternatively you could look at it like the best opportunity as it'll be more difficult for Verstappen to win the race from there, and he may only pick up 15-18 points instead of 25. (Although I expect he'll be able to pass whoever qualifies ahead of him)

Mercedes probably just want to avoid taking the penalty at the same time as RBR because they don't want to nullify it. If I'm RBR, I'm taking the penalty in Sochi regardless. It makes most sense, unless they are going to chance their arm and hope they can make it to the end with what they have.