Escalation in race and team threads

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
SiLo

Re: 2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 15:55
RIP F1 Technical. How childish.
It's sad isn't it.
Felipe Baby!

LM10

SiLo wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:17
El Scorchio wrote:
It's sad isn't it.
I wonder though, what's the reason for that shift to childish behaviour lately?

SiLo

Escalation in race and team threads

LM10 wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:30
SiLo wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
It's sad isn't it.
Big increase in new fans coming in and popularity of the website. Everything online is becoming more tribal these days because we can all find countless people that agree with exactly what we are saying, so we are all convinced we are right.
Felipe Baby!

MV8
MV8

El Scorchio wrote:
Now this is a fight of fanboys lol
Just posting

dans79

SiLo wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:42
LM10 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

It's sad isn't it.
Big increase in new fans coming in and popularity of the website. Everything online is becoming more tribal these days because we can all find countless people that agree with exactly what we are saying, so we are all convinced we are right.
We've also seen an influx of user accounts that seem to solely exist to make posts aimed at antagonizing the fans of a given driver or team!
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 16:51
SiLo wrote:
LM10 wrote:

We've also seen an influx of user accounts that seem to solely exist to make posts aimed at antagonizing the fans of a given driver or team!
Exactly. The technical threads are quiet with just a little bit of activity between people discussing technical things of one sort or another, but the race and team threads are just awash with people that have turned up this year (coincidence?) and just bombard, argue and insult. These threads are now more akin to reddit than F1 Technical. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Starkblood80

dans79 wrote:
SiLo wrote:
LM10 wrote:

It happens a lot on social media and it is now spilling over to forums unfortunately

PlatinumZealot

LM10 wrote:
SiLo wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
It's sad isn't it.
More casual fans due to Netflix.

F1tech used to be like a university. You cam here to learn about cars. You can still do so, but those technical threads are placed away from "eye level" if you know what I mean. And this brings me to some complaints I have in this regard. Moderators please hear me out.

I think it was a wrong move to name the car threads "hardware and development" because the name doesn't attract the attention it deserves. It should be renamed "Formula 1 cars." The F1 car development discussions were the heart of the website IMO. Once the General chat and race threads were placed top of page then you notice the diversions away from the technicalness for new fans.

There are still deeply technical areas of the website that arw thriving. There are highly skilled experts still here and deeply fascinating threads, but they are tucked away around the back where the casual new commer just never gets to see on a normal browse of the site.

I have learned a lot and shared alot just through technical discussion here. And it is sorta sad that we have strayed into fan boy ying ying yang each race. There are reasons for that obviously outside of the powers of the website. But I think we can go back to that era of learning and sharing with new-commers by a little bit of reorganizing the message boards.

I welcome the new fans and the Orange army, but unfortunately we met in the wrong circusmstances where we cannot greet each other without being seen as "the other side". (age of Mercedes dominance and Netflix i feel has a lot to do with this). We can heal the wounds if we redirect the focus on what made the site great: the cars, the engineering, the photos, the analysis.

Each of us has a responsibility.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Titchener

Starkblood80 wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 17:14
dans79 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

It happens a lot on social media and it is now spilling over to forums unfortunately
Forums used to be a safe space for us social media hating people. This place resembles Faceb**k and the like more and more each race.

If you’re a true F1 fan like me and most on here, you’ll be revelling in a championship battle we haven’t seen for years.

adrianjordan

Maybe we should have a premium section, Steven, if you're reading this - new revenue stream for you!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 17:13
dans79 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Exactly. The technical threads are quiet with just a little bit of activity between people discussing technical things of one sort or another, but the race and team threads are just awash with people that have turned up this year (coincidence?) and just bombard, argue and insult. These threads are now more akin to reddit than F1 Technical. :roll:
Funny you should mention reddit. I was thinking the very same thing about an hour ago! It feels like it's half descended into a reddit page or facebook post, with people posting 'funny' memes (one rather distasteful one in the 'caption competition' thread today) and gifs, and acting only to wind other people up rather than attempt reasonable discussion.

i70q7m7ghw

Re: Escalation in race and team threads

I think sadly things won't change. I'll be the first to admit I can't help but get sucked in to it. As others have said a lot of the posts are made intentially to antagonise people and it works. A more recent trend is for things to escalate beyond the race threads and even this site, which is quite scary really.

SiLo

that was my last post in a race thread during or after the race. I find the discussion on tactics and setups before the race starts still interesting however.
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

Diesel wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 10:30
I think sadly things won't change. I'll be the first to admit I can't help but get sucked in to it. As others have said a lot of the posts are made intentially to antagonise people and it works. A more recent trend is for things to escalate beyond the race threads and even this site, which is quite scary really.
Yeah , I too fall in to the trap far too often! With such a large amount of constant antagonising posts, the race and team threads just fall down completely. :cry:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

bjpower

I agree about the technical side. Some great information there. Without the gang on this forum I would not understand anything about the cars anymore. I love the car threads but they are understandably quiet this year.

On the other side the media in general seem to be childish. We had a great race and an unfortunate accident. McLaren won on merit. It should have been a celebration of how a team can bounce back from a bad spell.

Instead 400 articles on who's fault the accident was. Ugh