Caption Competition

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: Caption Competition

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 17:31
Why can't we keep the caption competition thread for that purpose and have a new thread for general "amusing" pictures? Or does every thread on this forum have now to descend to a single common purpose?
Imo, I don't think some individuals are posting stuff to be amusing. I think some are doing it for quite the opposite reason!
197 104 103 7

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 17:17

I don't care really. I just look into this thread to see funny f1 stuff and I guess that's what most people do? Or is this mainly a thread for up and coming amateur comedians to practice their one-liners? In that case, I apologize.
The clue's in the thread name. For 15 years this thread has been for people to try to put amusing captions to photos. In the last few months it's just become a meme-fest. Why can't we keep the caption competition thread for that purpose and have a new thread for general "amusing" pictures? Or does every thread on this forum have now to descend to a single common purpose?
You and I don't always agree on some things, but on this I am 100% in the same camp as you.

Especially as all people seem to be doing is posting Memes that are readily available on Instagram anyway. Almost makes me wonder if they aren't just trying to promote those Insta accounts.... 🤔
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

etusch wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 12:12
unacceptable. leave.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 17:15
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 21:13
hollus wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 17:15
https://i.imgur.com/quDusrf.jpg
The look on Bottas's face: er, no way I'm drinking that!
And post race, Bottas confirmed that he has never done a shoey and won't be in the future. Good man - it's a disgusting idea.
not that i am any less disgusted by it - it's disgusting enough that the driver does it himself, but to have other drivers and team members do it is absolutely worse ( i don't even think i'd ever be allowed to kiss my wife again if i did such a thing ), a genuine question though: regarding the driver's socks being of the finest and most advanced material in the entire world, and being above all extremely fire-resistant - is it actually even possible, or likely, that the driver's sweat would even penetrate the socks? i would be inclined to think - perhaps completely wrong - that concidering that fire / heat should not penetrate through the driver's socks, wouldn't that then also mean that it's unlikely that sweat comes through?

also, i assume that given the driver's outworldly athletic conditions, they tend to sweat a lot less than general public - wouldn't that thus also make it possible,
that neither sweat, nor smell actually enters the driver's shoe - and would that perhaps even mean that the driver's shoe is 'like new'?

in other words, is it not rather similar to just pouring champagne into a new cloth and drinking from that?

and that it's more a case of being disgusted by the idea rather than actualy fact?

curious about this - has this actually been discussed before?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

etusch

Manoah2u

respectless. again, a new low.

i think this is where you belong:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kiddet/

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
hollus wrote:
12 Sep 2021, 17:15
https://i.imgur.com/quDusrf.jpg
And post race, Bottas confirmed that he has never done a shoey and won't be in the future. Good man - it's a disgusting idea.
That post race conference was hilarious, Danny truly surprised Bottas hadn't ever done it and Bottas really making a point that he won't do it. Haha, Loved it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

etusch

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 19:55

:lol: :lol:
If you were mature enough you would just smile it and if you want to make something in return you would do similar things about my favorite driver. But it is obvious that you are not mature and have a different relation with Ham from being a driver & fan of that driver relation.

djos

Just_a_fan wrote:
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

I don't care really. I just look into this thread to see funny f1 stuff and I guess that's what most people do? Or is this mainly a thread for up and coming amateur comedians to practice their one-liners? In that case, I apologize.
The clue's in the thread name. For 15 years this thread has been for people to try to put amusing captions to photos. In the last few months it's just become a meme-fest. Why can't we keep the caption competition thread for that purpose and have a new thread for general "amusing" pictures? Or does every thread on this forum have now to descend to a single common purpose?
Personally I don’t object to memes being posted here. The real issue is that lately they haven’t even been good memes!

It’s like someone is trying to get their post count up by posting any old piece of garbage they stumble across!
"In downforce we trust"

wesley123

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 19:55

They are pretty funny, actually. I'm not even sure why this would be 'respectless'? Because frankly, if that is 'respectless', then this whole topic is and the mods should just delete it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123

Bottas looks at the crash in shock, after which he quickly realizes how lucky he is; He wouldn't have been on the podium without them colliding.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 18:30
Just_a_fan wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

not that i am any less disgusted by it - it's disgusting enough that the driver does it himself, but to have other drivers and team members do it is absolutely worse ( i don't even think i'd ever be allowed to kiss my wife again if i did such a thing ), a genuine question though: regarding the driver's socks being of the finest and most advanced material in the entire world, and being above all extremely fire-resistant - is it actually even possible, or likely, that the driver's sweat would even penetrate the socks? i would be inclined to think - perhaps completely wrong - that concidering that fire / heat should not penetrate through the driver's socks, wouldn't that then also mean that it's unlikely that sweat comes through?
No way, if sweat can´t pass throught the socks, then drivers feet would finisih the race sunked in sweat.

Sorry Manoah, but yes, sweat comes through socks and anyone doing a shoey is drinking Ricciardo feet sweat, period. Yes it is this disgusting :sick:

adrianjordan

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 07:50
Manoah2u wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 18:30
Just_a_fan wrote:

No way, if sweat can´t pass throught the socks, then drivers feet would finisih the race sunked in sweat.

Sorry Manoah, but yes, sweat comes through socks and anyone doing a shoey is drinking Ricciardo feet sweat, period. Yes it is this disgusting :sick:
Agreed. The boots are what are flame retardant and athletes definitely DO sweat, some of them a lot, even world class athletes. Trust me, I've had to administer medical attention to them over the years!!

Even worse, the smell and foul taste of sweat is not the sweat itself, that just tastes a little salty. Rather it's bacteria growing in the sweat - and what conditions do bacteria like best? Yup, warm and moist ones.... Rather like the inside of a flame retardant shoe drenched in sweat in a hot footwell of an F1 car.... 🙈🙈🙈

Anyway, this is even more off topic than those who are sharing other people's social media meme posts.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

djos wrote:
14 Sep 2021, 23:40
Just_a_fan wrote:
aMessageToCharlie wrote:

Personally I don’t object to memes being posted here. The real issue is that lately they haven’t even been good memes!

It’s like someone is trying to get their post count up by posting any old piece of garbage they stumble across!
I wouldn't mind if the people posting them actually CREATED the meme... But they're not, all they're doing is going onto Instagram, copying a link and sharing the same feed over and over again.

Really does make me wonder if they aren't actually bots trying to drive traffic to that Instagram account....

adrianjordan

Mods, if you're going to allow memes to pollute this thread, can we at least request that people only post their own memes and not simply dump other people's Instagram feeds into here. I think we're all capable of subscribing to F1Troll et al over on Instagram if we want to... I know I do.