Need some tips for sound isolation on a pickup cabin

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
DiogoBrand

Need some tips for sound isolation on a pickup cabin

I drive a 2015 Hilux, and one of the things that bothers me about it is how loud it is inside the cabin, as well as the poor quality of the audio, probably a combination of poor insulation plus not so good speakers. I mean, the doors on this pickup are the lightest I can remember on any vehicle, so they probably don't have an ounce of material dedicated to this purpose.
I've seen quite a few videos on how to sound deaden a car, even this one on the exact same model:

Trouble is: I live in Brazil and I don't seem to be able to find the materials used on the video, and if I find something similar the costs are way too high.

Also, I've driven quite a few cars that have from stock a much better insulation and audio quality, but don't have nearly as much done on them as they did on the video, like for example a 2018 Ford Ranger I drive at work or a 2012 Cruze I just recently sold.

So my question is: what would I have to do to bring the Hilux up to the standards of an okay stock car in terms of noise and audio quality? Would it be enough if I just stuck some bitumen deadening material to the skins of the doors, or there are other measures missing from the Hilux? I doesn't even need to be amazing, just bringing it up to where the Cruze and the Ranger are would already be more than enough.

Jolle

Re: Need some tips for sound isolation on a pickup cabin

pair of apple EarPods pro's?

DiogoBrand

Zynerji wrote:
18 Sep 2021, 22:08
Can you get LizardSkin?
https://www.eastwood.com/lizard-skin-so ... gle&wv=3.1
They only ship to the US and Canada. I could possibly get something similar, but it would probably be difficult not to make a mess with this kind of product.

NL_Fer

Most damping materials are based on EPDM rubber with a self adhesive side to stick the to the doors.

PhillipM

Roofing flashing tape will do 80% of the job at half the cost of most of the fancy sound deadening sheets tbfh.

TNTHead

Don't know this car, but starting at the source may be wise: sometimes less stiff engine mountings are available to reduce engine vibrations transmitting tothe cabin. If it is more about aero noise, the sealing of doors may be poor. If this is already okay indeed damping sheet material is the way to go.