Igora Drive replaces Sochi in 2023

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
astracrazy

Re: Igora Drive replaces Sochi in 2023

notsofast wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 12:00
Connect the pit exit to turn 4, That would allow for interesting pit strategies.
It wouldn't improve anything, all they would do is what they did with Silverstone and lower the pitlane speed.

outer_bongolia

notsofast wrote:
Connect the pit exit to turn 4, That would allow for interesting pit strategies.
So right!

That would reduce the time lost in the pitlane by quite a few seconds...
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Unf

notsofast wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 11:42
Interesting pit lane configuration
Bit similar to Zolder.

_cerber1

At the Igora Drive Autodrom, the first layer of asphalt was laid on the new configuration of the ring road. Modernization work started in the summer of 2021.

The new configuration will be almost 1.1 km longer and its total length will be 5,182 m. Like the existing version of the track, it was designed by Hermann Tilke. The new configuration will organically use the interesting terrain, which will make the track even more technical and exciting. The existing version of the track will also be available for amateurs and professionals in the world of auto and motor sports.

Modernization work is carried out in close cooperation with the International Automobile Federation (FIA) and Formula 1, as well as the International Motorcycle Federation (FIM) and MotoGP. The modernization will use the most modern solutions to ensure the safety of riders, including the increase in departure zones and the installation of additional Tecpro barriers. The work is carried out in accordance with all the requirements of the FIA ​​and FIM. This will renew the licenses for the existing configuration and obtain Grade 1 and Grade A licenses for the new one.

The modernization will also affect the Igora Drive infrastructure. The changes will create an even more functional space for teams and pilots to have exciting races on the Igora Drive circuit. Expanded spectator zones will enable guests to enjoy every second of the spectacular competition.

Just_a_fan

notsofast wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 11:42
Interesting pit lane configuration
The exit feeds in just before a corner meaning we're likely to see Monza-style incidents as exiting cars will be fully up to speed and on the inside of the corner - effectively fed in to an early apex. Will require any cars on the track itself to go around the outside of an exiting car in to T2. Either there will be clashes on the apex or the on-track car will be at risk of running wide on exit.

Getting the pit exit right will be important - the run from the pit exit "hairpin" to T2 is slightly longer than the track is from T1 to T2. So, getting a good run around the pitlane exit "hairpin" and then down the exit lane, might mean an exiting car is faster in to T2 than an on-track car, but in a less favourable line for T2.

If there isn't an issue here at some point during the weekend, I'll be surprised.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Mogster wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 09:17
Proposed extension to the end of the lap, whiff of Baku S2? Main straight extended but entry will be very slow.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5CQO9uVEA ... =4096x4096
Doesn't look to make it any easier to get an overtake done. Losing the hairpin and replacing it with a long sweeping switchback isn't necessarily a good thing. Effectively, T1 will be the only chance for an overtake as the rest of the track is fast and flowing - exactly wrong for these cars to follow closely.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 10:16
Mogster wrote:
Proposed extension to the end of the lap, whiff of Baku S2? Main straight extended but entry will be very slow.

Doesn't look to make it any easier to get an overtake done. Losing the hairpin and replacing it with a long sweeping switchback isn't necessarily a good thing. Effectively, T1 will be the only chance for an overtake as the rest of the track is fast and flowing - exactly wrong for these cars to follow closely.
Although luckily 'these cars' wont be racing there. So hopefully it's all good and the racing will be great [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

Just_a_fan wrote:
Mogster wrote:

The straight before T13 is quite long, and those corners will likely be flat coming onto it so I think that will also be a place to overtake as well.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 11:07
Just_a_fan wrote:
Mogster wrote:

Although luckily 'these cars' wont be racing there. So hopefully it's all good and the racing will be great [-o<
Some people are just so optimistic. Bless. :lol:

Just_a_fan

SiLo wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 11:14
Just_a_fan wrote:
Mogster wrote:

The straight before T13 is quite long, and those corners will likely be flat coming onto it so I think that will also be a place to overtake as well.
I guess it'll depend on how close the follow car can get through the curves. The cars understeer at speed anyway - because it's the safe way to set up the cars - but if they start to understeer too much, the front tyres will go off very quickly.

I guess we'll see once we get there.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 11:43
NathanOlder wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Don't you think the racing will improve with the new cars ? Surely the amount of research and the figures from wind tunnel and CFD simulations show it will be much improved compared to what we currently have ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 14:40
Just_a_fan wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Don't you think the racing will improve with the new cars ? Surely the amount of research and the figures from wind tunnel and CFD simulations show it will be much improved compared to what we currently have ?
I'm becoming increasing cynical with each candle added to my birthday cakes. :lol:

Do I hope the racing will be better? Yes, of course. Do I expect it to? Well, now that's the issue...

jknights

notsofast wrote:
Yes please.
Especially under variable weather conditions it would really spice up the strategies.

dfegan358

Hoffman900 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:14
Another Tilke-dom.

I like what Lewis said about him a few years back :lol:

What did Lewis say? He not a fan of Tilke circuits?

I see a lot people criticising his designs but why does he keep getting the contracts. Surely other designers worth a shot. COTA one of his better recent ones is that correct?

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 15:46
NathanOlder wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 14:40
Just_a_fan wrote:

I'm becoming increasing cynical with each candle added to my birthday cakes. :lol:

Do I hope the racing will be better? Yes, of course. Do I expect it to? Well, now that's the issue...
The real question is how well HAAS and Williams utilize their bonus CFD/wind tunnel time, and if they can challenge the front early on.