Will F1 start retiring driver numbers?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Will F1 start retiring driver numbers?

Not sure if this has ever been discussed on here, but a quick search didn't yield anything.

Given that each driver has 'their' number for the course of their career now which is forever synonymous with them, and in some sports (predominantly American sports, and what with the owners being American) it's customary for numbers to be retired, do we think this will start happening in F1?

The first obvious candidate is 44 at the moment, but how likely is it that that and possibly other numbers begin to be retired going forward? And would it be a good or bad idea?

SiLo

Re: Will F1 start retiring driver numbers?

I think numbers can currently be reused after 2 years. A team could retire a number, by simply not allowing others to use it in future, but someone from another team could easily use it. I imagine what will happen, say for 44, is that nobody is going to want to use it as it's too heavily associated with Hamilton.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 16:55
I think numbers can currently be reused after 2 years. A team could retire a number, by simply not allowing others to use it in future, but someone from another team could easily use it. I imagine what will happen, say for 44, is that nobody is going to want to use it as it's too heavily associated with Hamilton.
Correct- at the moment after two years a number goes back into the pot. But will they, or should they not do that with certain ones?

Zynerji

I disagree with retiring numbers. You would have to retire #1 under a few dozen names..

Interesting thought tho: Since the WDC can claim #1 or their own number, if they choose to use #1 two years in a row, is their chosen number then available to a new driver? :?:

El Scorchio

Zynerji wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 17:00
I disagree with retiring numbers. You would have to retire #1 under a few dozen names..

Interesting thought tho: Since the WDC can claim #1 or their own number, if they choose to use #1 two years in a row, is their chosen number then available to a new driver? :?:
I think #1 would be exempt from being retired for obvious reasons. But that's a really good point about their regular number! I'm going to assume their regular number is 'held' for them if they choose to take #1 for multiple seasons. I'm not sure many drivers would opt to take #1 any more- their own numbers are almost part of their 'brands' now.

SiLo

Here's my short answer that I'm sure most will agree with:

No.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 17:13

No.
That's my opinion too. I don't think they should, but I think they will.

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 17:28
SiLo wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 17:13

No.
That's my opinion too. I don't think they should, but I think they will.
I could see them retiring champion's numbers going forward. Back in the day the numbers were given out by the organiser, and then the teams used to have their own numbers and the drivers used to just use those e.g. Ferrari's 27 and 28. But as we have driver numbers on the car because the halo prevents the helmet - the previous way of telling who was who - from being seen, I could see numbers being retired. Of course, it would mean that we'll get 3-digit numbers fairly quickly if drivers are in F1 for only a year or two as happens in the junior teams.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

I really do not understand 'retiring numbers' at all. Even if it is meant as a tribute to someone, the number is 'missing' and young sportsmen can not aim to be good enough to use the number.
Besides, if they had started 'retiring' from early years, all the cars would be on 3 digits by now.

Drivers have to hold a super licence, so once the licence is boxed, the number should be free.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

hUirEYExbN

SiLo wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 16:55
Unless Gus Greensmith decides to abandon the WRC and buy a seat in F1.

n_anirudh

Isnt 17 -JB retired already?

Big Tea

n_anirudh wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 22:31
Isnt 17 -JB retired already?
I think he still holds his licence

n_anirudh

Jules bianchi...not jenson button

Big Tea

n_anirudh wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 23:01
Hardly a great name of F1 though is he?

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 23:22
n_anirudh wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 23:01
Hardly a great name of F1 though is he?
I mean, he's WDC...😒